Eddie Kemp- should have choreographed more Zoo?

Eddie Kemp- should have choreographed more Zoo?

Floid Fan
I would say definitely!! Just catching up on some of the blog routines (and I remember watching a bit of Zoo on the Pops in the early 80s). Just watched 'The Crown' (by Gary Byrd) routine that was posted last week. Now, I understand from Col that this was one of only two Zoo routines not choreographed by Flick Colby. This one was choreographed by Zoo dancer Eddie Kemp. I have to say I am extremely impressed. This is in fact more a 'spectacular' than a dance routine. It has a huge amount going on with a large number of troupe dancers and what impresses me the most is the fact that although these dancers are in small groups on the stage, there is enormous variety in the actual dance moves and steps going on simultaneously by several different groups of dancers, and yet it all seems to match the music very well . There is great energy and vibrancy and it keeps your attention. A great deal of creative energy there and even the body-popping 'robots' got into the dancing. It's certainly a refreshing contrast to having everyone doing exactly the same arm and leg movements- reminds me of some of the more inventive Flipper routines when there were several routines within a routine. (pity the sound volume dips badly halfway through the Crown clip)
If I recall correctly, (and Col or someone else can correct me if I'm mistaken) from how I remember him, Eddie Kemp actually features in this routine- in the green tee-shirt and grey jeans with a flat-top style haircut. I remember seeing him a couple of years prior to this as one of the resident dancers in the troupe on the 'Summertime Special' series (sequel to Seaside Special in the summer of 1981).
Carl

Re: Eddie Kemp- should have choreographed more Zoo?

Colm
There were three episodes of TOTP where Flick Colby wasn't credited as responsible for creating the dance routines and members of Zoo took up the choreographer's mantle:

8.4.1982 - Radford Quist

21.7.1983 - Eddie Kemp

28.7.1983 - Eddie Kemp

I do agree with you, Carl, that Eddie did a great job in choreographing "The Crown".  It seems his time working with Flick and his regular gigs on TOTP gave him credence to have a stab at devising a routine for the show, and I've found there's a strong influence in Flick's style in the routine.  It's impressive that he took a joint role in dancing in the routine as well as creating it all together - he appears in the first verse alongside Jeanette and Penni, and also during Stevie Wonder's middle part of the song.

Eddie's routine to "Feel Like Making Love" has a similar format, stylistically, to "The Crown" - hopefully, this will appear on the blog.

Re: Eddie Kemp- should have choreographed more Zoo?

Floid Fan
Thanks for the info, Col. So, looks like I guessed right about which one was Eddie. Like I said, I first noticed him when I was watching the Summertime Special series back in 81 (in their troupe called the 'A' team) and so I recognised him straight away when he started performing with Zoo on TOTP,but I never knew his name and think I may have worked it out at the time by watching the different mix and match versions of Zoo and looked at the end credits each time and did a process of elimination.
There is no web evidence of 'Summertime Special' at all it seems, no youtube clips etc, which is a pity. I can still hum the theme tune, don't know what it was called, but I remember the repeated last line was 'I've never needed summer more than this!'
And there's very little information about Eddie Kemp and his career too. Wikipedia has a little info about Zoo, perhaps you wrote that. When did Eddie join Zoo? Was he there throughout 82/83? I know from your info that Zoo were just monthly in 1982 and even less often in parts of 83. And hopefully the other routine choreographed by Eddie is around and someone will post it to the blog sometime. It would be great to see it, if it's as fantastic as 'The Crown'!
Carl

Re: Eddie Kemp- should have choreographed more Zoo?

Floid Fan
Actually I've just watched a clip of Zoo from 24th December 1981 that has Eddie Kemp in it (Cool and the Gangs 'Get Down On It'), so looks like he featured in Zoo from near the beginning of their run. Don't know if there is an earlier routine he's in.
Carl

Re: Eddie Kemp- should have choreographed more Zoo?

Boogiebox
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Eddie Kemp- should have choreographed more Zoo?

Floid Fan
This post was updated on .
Here's the amazing Eddie taken from the Zoo routine for Gary Byrd's  'The Crown' in July 1983, (as he is more prominent in this clip. On the Get Down On it routine he's the one wearing a black sleeveless tee-shirt, but can't get a good quality screengrab of that, as the video quality is not as good):

Carl

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Eddie Kemp- should have choreographed more Zoo?

Floid Fan
Didn't they make a fuss of 'The Crown' on the radio and media at the time since it was so long- it was only released on twelve inch, wasn't it? Didn't like it as a 16 year old at the time but it's growing on me now. Love the Stevie Wonder part and it seems to have a good message. Zoo's dance routine to it is amazing, so versatile and varied. Makes me want to watch more Zoo. I did see their version of Yellow Pearl on this blog I think, which is another good and unusual one.
Don't know if the girl in the photo behind Eddie is Jeanette. Perhaps Buckby or Col will know????
Carl

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Eddie Kemp- should have choreographed more Zoo?

Floid Fan
'The Crown' was indeed released on 12 inch version only and ran to over 10 minutes (!) but still managed to get to number 6 in the U.K. singles chart in July, 1983. I can't believe this was nearly 30 years ago. Where have all those decades gone so quickly?
Carl

Re: Eddie Kemp- should have choreographed more Zoo?

That is indeed Jeanette Landray pictured in Carl's screencap.

Gary Byrd appeared at the end of two episodes of TOTP - 4.8.1983 and 7.2.1985 - but he never performed "The Crown" on any editions of TOTP.

Who is Radford Quist, I wonder?
Carl

CONTENTS DELETED

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Eddie Kemp- should have choreographed more Zoo?

PattiforPM
Well you guys got me again.  I didn't like the Crown at first but with all this fuss I've listened some more and although it still isn't my favorite dance I now appreciate the lyrics and really like the Stevie Wonder segment.  Even some of the dancing is starting to grow on me.

Re: Eddie Kemp- should have choreographed more Zoo?

Floid Fan
The lyrics are difficult to catch  but apart from the slightly naff lyrics about Mr Byrd giving us an education,  rap style, there seems to be a bit of a Black Power theme going on with mention of Alex Haley, Kunte Kinte, my people and heritage and fighting for freedoms.
The Zoo routine is great as it has so many different things going on at the same time, but it's a unified whole!
Stevie Wonder is a God.
Carl

Re: Eddie Kemp- should have choreographed more Zoo?

Radford was one of the early regulars in Zoo; he was there in the first routine to ELO's 'Twilight', he's among the twelve-strong troupe for the 24.12.1981 and 25.12.1981 shows and is one of the guys in the 'Yellow Pearl' routine already featured on the blog along with Eddie (who's got blue hair this time around).

After his one-off stab at choreography on that 8.4.1982 edition, he didn't seem to appear as part of a Zoo line-up anymore.

Also, I'm unable to identify who he is, despite his appearance in the above routines...

Re: Eddie Kemp- should have choreographed more Zoo?

Jeanette had a different hairstyle in her 1982 appearances on TOTP; it was slightly longer, almost bob-length, but still spiky on the top.

In her appearance in the video to Depeche Mode's 'Just Can't Get Enough', her hair is in the same style as her 1983 TOTP appearances - a short blonde spiky style.

If I get a chance later, I'll upload screen caps to demonstrate what I mean...

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Eddie Kemp- should have choreographed more Zoo?

Colm
Only found one screen grab from 1982 - what I believe to be the first Zoo routine Jeanette was involved in, "Murphy's Law" by Cheri:

12