F is for Flick

Re: F is for Flick

Malta
http://www.thecrimson.com/article/1963/11/15/bye-bye-birdie-plegs-sweaters-rousing/

“Particular notice should be given Felicity Colby, as the deadpan fan…”

Re: F is for Flick

Re: F is for Flick

Malta
Thanks for the great photo Mikey

Re: F is for Flick

Mikey
Probably not the right size but i like it anyway, classic early seventies Flick look.

Re: F is for Flick

Malta
Another great photo.  Thanks

Re: F is for Flick

Mikey
Le Sadi Show, 1972

Re: F is for Flick

Malta
Wow - spectacular!  Thanks a million!

Re: F is for Flick

AC/PD
Larry Grayson's Generation Game (18/11/78)

Re: F is for Flick

Malta
Those are wonderful - thanks AC!

Re: F is for Flick

Malta

Re: F is for Flick

It took a while to translate but i think its worth it, probably the earliest article from the start of Pans People so far.

WEEKLY KINK - SATURDAY 7 JANUARY 1967

Felicity Must Be Back On TV!

Beatgirls become Pan's People

The life of a newspaper writer is full of surprises. After all kinds of futile attempts to come to a conclusive appointment for an interview in Bussum with Moef Ga Ga's pet animal Felicity, I run into her in the London hip-club Bag o' Nails. I suspected it already, but now I know it for sure: Felicity is grandiose, yes a super-bright girl. To my great dismay I read after returning from my London week that AVRO is not planning to continue with the beatgirls in the coming season because they would be too expensive and because it's unfair for the native gogo talent. I believe that this means an almost certain decline of Holland's best pop program, Moef Ga Ga, because nobody will make me believe, that in the Netherlands there is such a delectable, pop-loving chick as Felicity. By which I mean that Felicity, and all her fellow-beatgirls have to return to the TV. The AVRO now has 400,000 members again, so they could afford it.

The Beatgirls don't exist any more by the way. Felicity, Babs and those other lovely females that Bob Rooyens was so fond of that you often couldn't see the beat group any more because of their legs and bellies, now call themselves 'Pan's People' after a thunderous fight with Gary Cockrell, leader of about ten Beatgirl-groups.

God of Dance and Sex

Felicity invented the name [Pans People] as Cockrell is the only one who is allowed to use the brand 'Beatgirls'. Pan is the god of dance and sex' Felicity explains to me and she pulls a naughty face, lets her index fingers grow out of her head like horns and makes strange jumps between the shaking masses, bumping up against a weary Chris Andrews, who looks at her very disturbed. The intent of this improvised act? that's how Pan went through the woods', explains Felicity. He was an honorary god but at the same time a devil. He had horns, a pintail and goat legs. He played on a flute and always followed the women. Now how does a gogo-girl become so familiar with classical mythology? ooh, I'm a very educated girl, said Felicity, 'I study general development every day. I'm already up to P' in the Encyclopedia.

Girls didn't get enough

The manager of Pan's People is Jim Ramble, publicity man for Alan Price, Chris Farlow, Georgie Fame and the other artists of top-manager Rik Gunnel. Jim, who to my disappointment is in Felicity's pleasant company almost day and night, says: 'The girls got a huge dislike of Gary because he let them work for a pittance. And all this while he didn't even do the choreography any more. Felicity usually fixed that up. She now does all the choreography for Pan's People by the way. We already have contracts for TV series in Belgium and France. No, not yet in Holland, but I have high hopes that we will be able to work for AVRO again. Gary Cockrell is completely on the ground. The other groups have also let him down. The girls' union has even turned against him, so he'd better emigrate.'

Felicity dances tirelessly. An extensive R&B discotheque and a rather inconspicuous R&B group - Tony Knight and the Chessmen - produce a non-stop pounding rhythm in the Bag o' Nails - along with the Cromwellian and the Scotch the most popular club in hip London. The 'Bag' is located in a London district with a flexible closing hours (Carnaby Street area). The 'peak time' only starts at five o'clock in the morning. Around three o'clock, a wave of Cromwellian - and Scotch visitors invaded. There are always a few pop stars among them. This time Keith Moon, John Entwhistle and the Merseys. Keith brings a dazzling blonde with him. John is solo.

Moef Ga Ga went very well

Dancing with Felicity 'Flick' is tiring because in her spare time she practises her profession with extra temperament and an inexhaustible improvisation ability. Flick is relentless. I ask from behind my lager (five shillings, the Scotch is twice as expensive, the Cromwellian slightly cheaper) how Felicity found working in Holland. She is very enthusiastic. Bob Rooyens is very demanding, that sometimes gets on your nerves but his programs are masterful. Here in England he would do very well. In the States he might still be too sweet.

Rhyme of Oster and Rooyens

Felicity remembers all the groups she performed with on Moef Ga Ga, particularly the Golden Earrings, 'Very nice guys who play well and have fun songs of their own'. She thinks it's a pity she doesn't work in Holland any more. The well-known question did she learn some Dutch words? Flick starts smiling, a quasi shy finger in her mouth. She knows a few of them but she suspects they are 'very dirty'. She articulates 'noise in the whirlpools' with difficulty. Learned from Fred Oster and Bob Rooyens, Is it very dirty? We reassure her: 'Just 'making love in the kitchen'. (When beat girl Babs arrives later in the evening it turns out that she also knows the rhyme of Oster and Rooyens. Moreover, she pronounces the word 'kippefel' very neatly)

Felicity came to London two years ago, because she had had enough of New York where she had lived her whole life (eighteen years). Her father teaches literature at university. He took her name from a strophe from Hamlet, which she doesn't know how to recite with much pathos. Felicity danced from the age of sixteen in Broadway shows and immediately became one of the most popular beat girls in London. Felicity in real life is the same piece of hip cheerfulness as in Moef Ga Ga. KINK asks Avro politely but urgently not to let Felicity be lost to the Netherlands.

H.B

[Picture Caption] Felicity with two strange men in the middle of a London newspaper stall. Right KINK editor Hans Born who since his meeting with Felicity no longer believes in Marianne Faithfull as the ideal female type.

In context here is Flick pulling the tie of Bob Rooyens in an early 1966 photo.

Re: F is for Flick

VintageVideos
Terrific Mikey, just terrific.

Sorry if I sound a bit pedantic but I have just two small niggles:

"want niemand maakt mij wijs, dat er in Nederland..." does not translate as "because nobody in the Netherlands tells me that that there is such a delectable, pop-loving chick as Felicity" but as "because nobody will make me believe, that in the Netherlands there is (literally: "is running around") such a delectable, pop-loving chick as Felicity"

"De AVRO heeft nou toch weer 400,000 leden dus het kan er wel vanaf" does not mean "The AVRO show now has 400,000 viewers again" but "The AVRO now has 400,000 members again, so they could afford it (i.e. to bring Felicity back)". You have to understand that the radio and TV scene in the Netherlands is dominated by the so-called "Omroepen". These are associations with members who are paying for their membership. The more members an association has, the bigger is its influence on radio and TV. The AVRO (Algemene Vereniging Radio Omroep) was one of the bigger associations with a liberal (political) orientation. It has now fused with another omroep TROS to become AVROTROS.

Re: F is for Flick

Mikey
Thanks for the feedback Vin  i have made the amendments you suggest. I do like the phrase "delectable, pop-loving chick" . In the UK i guess we would call people who pay for dedicated TV channels "subscribers" but members sounds fine in the context you explained.

I was initially confused by the "pet animal" part but since Flick had "Mouse" written on her beatgirls top (for reasons still unclear) i guess it could be a reference to this.

Re: F is for Flick

Malta
Wow - excellent!  Lots of interesting information in that article. Thanks Mikey

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 5, 2019, at 17:57, Mikey [via One for the Dads] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks for the feedback Vin  i have made the amendments you suggest. I do like the phrase "delectable, pop-loving chick" . In the UK i guess we would call people who pay for dedicated TV channels "subscribers" but members sounds fine in the context you explained.

I was initially confused by the "pet animal" part but since Flick had "Mouse" written on her beatgirls top (for reasons still unclear) i guess it could be a reference to this.

http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/F-is-for-Flick-tp4062391p4160288.html
To unsubscribe from F is for Flick, click here.
NAML

Re: F is for Flick

Malta
"Felicity came to London two years ago, because she had had enough of New York where she had lived her whole life (eighteen years)."

She married Robert Marasco sometime in 1965 and then her mother died 9 Nov 1965.  She arrived in London in January 1966.  These events could have had something to do with the move to London.

Re: F is for Flick

Thanks Malta for the info.

I was wondering what the contract in France was referring to?, nothing on the 'don't throw this away' brochure lists any work in France, unless its referring to Vibrato.

Re: F is for Flick

Malta
Possibly this in France:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan%27s_People#cite_note-20

"The group were to appear in a ballet performed with the Yardbirds in December 1967,[20] but it was cancelled shortly before it was to be performed."

 "NME: The Rock and Roll Years". Retrieved 13 June 2017. An hour-long ballet written by The Yardbirds and with all music played by the group, is premiered at the Paris Olympia on December 13th and 14th. Still untitled, it is being presented by French impresario Bruno Coquetrix, and the initial performance will be filmed for subsequent TV screening in France and Sweden. The ballet will be danced by BBC-TV dance team Pan’s People, choreographed by Flick Colby, and the director is Sean Murphy.
123