Quantcast

FEEL THE NEED IN ME -- [June]

FEEL THE NEED IN ME --Dance number 46 for Legs & Co
Performed by The Detroit Emeralds and reaching number 12 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 30/06/77 Duration of dance -- 2.02 mins
Dancers -- Gill,Lulu,Patti,Pauline,Rosie,Sue

Pauline 44                       Lulu 43
Rosie 44                          Gill 42
Sue 44                            Patti 39
Something to look out for--How about young Rosie catching Lulu`s bug of eyes wandering up to the TV monitor, check her out around the 1.40 mark for example.
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x24yvb3_legs-co-feel-the-need-totp-tx-30-06-1977_creation

The experimental feel to the summer carries on with this 3 way split screen affect. In my mind this does work quite well, but i guess Patti & Pauline drew the short straws as they are hardly featured. Its rather nice to observe the facial expressions by our 3 blonde beauties, but to me the winner in this is Gill, truly a beautiful young woman. Loved the song also, but i fear this wont be to other peoples tastes. A score of 8 out of 10 seems quite adequate for this routine from me.

Re: FEEL THE NEED IN ME -- 1977

PattiForPM
Oh our lovely Showgirls in mourning, don't they look fine?  Yes Gill takes the prize from me too and looks quite marvelous and I really like the song too.  Rosie has some fantastic moments as well.  As you anticipate Ryan I am troubled by the 3-pane screen and its marginalizing effect on our two dark haired beauties though and even Sue is too far in the background for my liking.  This one is 7/10 for me, good but not great.
LNV

Re: FEEL THE NEED IN ME -- 1977

LNV
I’m just mesmerised by Rosie in this. Yes Gill does look fantastic; a dazzling physical beauty to behold for sure but nevertheless Rosie has an inner quality of character, which is on display here that makes her more appealing to me. Rosie seems aware of herself in this, not vanity as such more bemused by her own glamour; surprised and delighted by it. A perfect moment of loveliness captured onto tape, like seeing a peach hued sunset after a peaceful summers day is how I can try to express her presence for me in the Routine.

8/10. It is a good song to dance to with its lilting beat. My score is for the Routine as a whole but really I don’t look elsewhere apart from Rosie, and no mere number or poetic words can do her individual greatness, justice in this.

Re: FEEL THE NEED IN ME -- 1977

The usage of split-screen, although was pointless, at least made for something unusual to what has already been with these dance routines, so split vertically, Rosie doing a solo dance in the left partition of the screen, Gillian in the right one, & the other four girls in the middle, includind Lulu right at the front nearest the cameras, which enhanced this routine even more, & her beautiful smile grabbed me yet again. The dancing was great for Feel The Need In Me, & I liked the costumes as well!

Re: FEEL THE NEED IN ME -- 1977

Adorable Gillusion
Love the close-ups of Gill and Rosie, though not a dance Gill will fondly remember as she loses her way a few times and has a nasty twist of her left anke at 1.47, still very enjoyable routine to watch, so 6/10 for me.

Re: FEEL THE NEED IN ME -- 1977

Ooh, i missed that one AG, gonna view the footage and report back.

Re: FEEL THE NEED IN ME -- 1977

Yep AG, i reckon she did, well spotted. But what a recovery by your girl.

Re: FEEL THE NEED IN ME -- 1977

Adorable Gillusion
Yeah Ryan, looked nasty too, i felt sorry for Gill watching that :(

Re: FEEL THE NEED IN ME -- 1977

74benja81
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: FEEL THE NEED IN ME -- 1977

Kace
its an ok routine love the song. thrs too much 2 watch but thts just my opinion. i thank p4pm 4 sendin it in so we all can watch it xx
ABLE WAS I ERE I SAW ELBA

XxXx

Re: FEEL THE NEED IN ME -- 1977

Floid Fan
I think the split screen works really well here and I like the girls costumes. The dance is also a good one and it all comes together with a nice classic tune. 8 out of 10.
Carl

Re: FEEL THE NEED IN ME -- 1977

Old Bill
The split screen i think is a good idea, and it's a nice effect to have Gill and Rosie 'book-ending' the other 4 in the middle. (I'm can't quite spot Rosie's ankle twist though... it's when her foot is in the black bit right? If she does it's damn fine recovery!).

The main problem is though that the tight 'pillar-box' aspect (as i believe some people call it... ahem!) doesn't really work well in close up. The Gill and Rosie shots would have worked better locked off - although then we'd miss out on Rosie's lovely boat race! Always a pleasure.

But the high-light for me in this one is Lull at around 1'15". That lass's smile is the sunniest sunshine anyone could ever need! Worth 2 point in its self. And so what if i'm thinking with my heart and not my head - i HEART these girls.

I feel the need to give it 7/10.
Jeremiah 31:13
Stu

Re: FEEL THE NEED IN ME -- 1977

Stu
Not an overly elaborate routine, but a good one all the same that suits the song which I really like. Difficult to watch both Rosie and Gill at the same time so watched it a couple of times over (such a hardship) and they're both really enigmatic performances, but as LNV allured to I think Rosie's character really shines through in this one, and well done to the gorgeous Gill for recovering from that ankle wobble like George Best riding a tackle. Shouldn't forget the four in the middle who also put on a formidable performance. This routine gets an extra mark from for the fact that it's essentially two routines, one for the Rosie and Gill and one for the rest. FC deserves credit for the creativity in creating two routines for the split screen effect, and it all merges together very well.

9.5/10

Stuey

Re: FEEL THE NEED IN ME -- 1977

Andeebee
8.5 for the dallas split scene, shame Sue was buried at the back

Re: FEEL THE NEED IN ME -- 1977

VintageVideos
Love it, love it, love it, love it... need I say more?

10 /10 !

Re: FEEL THE NEED IN ME -- 1977

Doc
This is one experiment that worked really well. It's a shame that we only had 4x3 TV's then as it would be brilliant in 16x9 widescreen. Despite being on the sides Rosie and Gill are the main attractions in this routine and very nice to watch they are too. I agree with VV give it a 10.

Re: FEEL THE NEED IN ME -- 1977

Who's That Hurll

'Feel The Need In Me' sees  Flick using the split screen effect. Is this for the first time in TOTP dance troupe history?. We need our resident experts to confirm this. At first I wasn't too sure about the camera panning in and out to bring forward the middle or the side pictures, however I think this brings variety to the performance.It would also have been nice to have a few still frames in there, but it was not to be.
In the June 77 monthly vote I was torn between this and 'Oh Lori' and decided to go for the latter. If I had the vote again I would go for the Detroit Emeralds instead - the Alessi track is rather cloying.
8.5/10  DOTD Rosie.
WTH

Re: FEEL THE NEED IN ME -- 1977

Another costume look that I could live without and which brings my score down to only 6.

Re: FEEL THE NEED IN ME -- 1977

Old Grey Whistler
The split screen innovation works well as a one off giving this routine its own identity, although it is not something that I would like to see happen too often. It probably works better nowadays on higher resolution widescreen telly's than it did in 1977.  This is really built around the three youngest members of the troupe, and they put in a fine performance. It's just a shame that Pauline , Patti and Sue are mostly only seen from distance.  I like the song as well, so happy to award this 8.5 out of 10.

Re: FEEL THE NEED IN ME -- 1977

Colm
Another experimental routine that I think was a success. Nice to put Gill and Rosie in the spotlight, and I must say I find Rosie on the left slightly more compelling.

Score: 8.5