FIFTH OF BEETHOVEN

I have chosen this adaptation of the 1st Movement of Beethoven’s 5th Symphony for my third Ruby Flipper contribution.  It was adapted then recorded by Walter Murphy, whose Record Company apparently insisted on including the imaginary Big Apple Band on initial labels for sales purposes even though talented Walter played nearly all the instruments himself.  As many of you will know it was included on Side 2 of the massively successful double soundtrack album of Saturday Night Fever.  It got to number 1 on the Billboard top 100

      FIFTH OF BEETHOVEN - Walter Murphy and the Big Apple Band             July 29 1976

     DANCERS:    Floid, Cherry, Sue, Lulu, Patti, Phil

     LINK:   http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26af06_ruby-flipper-a-fifth-of-beethoven-totp-tx-29-07-1976_creation

     This is a “Classic” example of a tune I wouldn’t have touched with a barge pole if it wasn’t for the Dance Troupes but I actually find it very palatable as a result of their performance.  I really like the idea of the two dueling conductors, who remind me of Don King and Albert Einstein (apologies to Floid for my racial bias) and the beautiful leggy seated ladies as surely the most mesmerizing orchestra we’ve ever seen.  Those mid-sections are delightful and to my eyes Cherry is particularly ripped in a very feminine kind of way.  I also like the Jumbotron backdrop views and the final “Fencing to the Death at One Yard” is inspired too.  Perhaps it’s not very “Dancey” in our recent terminology but I find it all interesting and watchable and would award 8/10 and although for me Phil and Floid fulfill their roles excellently I have to give this DotD to Cherry who surely would have graced many a young lad’s bedroom wall if only she had got onto posters the way Kate Bush and Farrah Fawcett did for example.  I feel this one might divide us a little but please let us hear your take on this

Re: FIFTH OF BEETHOVEN

BeautifulBabs
I love this and will review next ruby Tuesday

Re: FIFTH OF BEETHOVEN

VintageVideos
This time I'm thinking....
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: FIFTH OF BEETHOVEN

Paperboyplod
This must be the first Ruby Flipper routine where the roles are divided directly along gender lines, the girls are sat on a row of chairs, doing synchronous leg stretching moves as the most significant parts of the their actions, I'd use the phrase 'dancing' loosely throughout this routine, with no significant dance moves whilest standing, for the guys are standing behind lecterns facing the girls waving batons at them, as if their combining a role as both a choreographer & a conductor of an orchestra, all of the while dressed like private detectives, who've not cut their hair for many years, but only the cuteness factor of the girls, really does anything for me here.

5/10

DotD:-

Sue

Re: FIFTH OF BEETHOVEN

PattiForPM
Thanks PBP, I think yours may be a fairly popular view but perhaps we'll see once Vin's brain applies itself and BB's interesting new avatar settles in.  The more I look at these Ruby Flipper performances the more I realise how innovative they were and how different from Pans and Legs in many ways but they can also be polarizing I suppose.  Keep the Comments coming friends.

Re: FIFTH OF BEETHOVEN

This is a splendid routine full of invention.  The original piece of music is superb, the reworking equally as good, and the dance interpretation top notch.  The jousting composers/conductors a great finale while having the girls shorts represent piano keys is an inspired touch.  The only element of the ensemble that I could have done without were the skull caps and feathers the girls have on their heads but that is a minor quibble so this gets a 9 from me.  All six performers do equally well and although she isn't in the running for DotD a nod to Flick for having thought up such an interesting number.

Re: FIFTH OF BEETHOVEN

A strange old piece of music for Flick to provide choreography for and i don't blame her for taking the easy route and using chairs. But once again its bright, colouful, vibrant and best of all enjoyable. These four girls are lovely looking lasses and in this routine we get to see their quite delectable faces close up and their long gorgeous legs too. The dual image thing is also quite a rarity and certainly enhanced our viewing. As ive said before, my main criteria for ratings is if i enjoy the routine, in this i certainly do, so its 9.25 out of 10. DOTD, its gotta be Sue for that smile at 1.50, but again picking one out of these 4 is a difficult task.

Re: FIFTH OF BEETHOVEN

While the girls' moves are in wonderful harmony - and each of their close-up shots is gorgeous (Sue and Patti's radiant smiles, Lulu and Cherry's more fun-goofs)...

...I find it hard to muster the same enthusiasm for Floid and Phil in this routine.  Their costumes are ridiculous, and apart from the "fencing" at the end, they don't add anything I found enjoyable or absolutely necessary - they slightly irritate me here, to be honest.

Also, the starfield backdrop which sometime appears looks similar to the "Space Oddity" one - although it can't be the exact same one if this routine is filmed in front of a blue/green screen to allow the different takes of the girls to appear on screen at the same time.

Anyhow, this only gets 6.5 from me, and my Dancer of the Day is Cherry as she gives the camera a nice mix of smiles and "Gillespie faces" along the way.

Re: FIFTH OF BEETHOVEN

I'm afraid I don't like this one so it's no more than 4 out of 10. Once again it's hard to pick a DotD, but I think Sue's lovely smiles helped me to endure watching this again, so she gets my vote.
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: FIFTH OF BEETHOVEN

bucksby
I have to say I am not keen on the routine. As Col said the outfits on the guys look silly. We get to see plenty of leg action from the girls but I think they are wasted here. Hard to pick a dancer of the day but I love Sue & Patti's smiles. Think Patti just shades it but overall mark for the routine is a 6.

Re: FIFTH OF BEETHOVEN

PattiForPM
I thought there might be some detractors and I can understand this is not everyone's cuppa but I do quite like the crazy and for me comedic conductors.  Yes the white coat attire and long hair is a bit weird but I rather like the contrast to the lovely seated ladies and somehow it all makes sense to me combined with the Discoing up of this Classical Music standard.  The whole thing actually reminds me a bit of the Movie Fantasia and I wonder if this was the source of Flick's inspiration for this piece.  I hope there are more strong opinions to come.

Re: FIFTH OF BEETHOVEN

With these four beauties on show, its hard to even notice our two conductors.

Re: FIFTH OF BEETHOVEN

VintageVideos
Sooner or later I might introduce a lowest/highest rating column so as to easily find the most controversial routines. This would be a strong contender (though Joy To The World would even beat it).
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: FIFTH OF BEETHOVEN

PattiForPM
It seems there's competition for the post of OFTDs statistician

Re: FIFTH OF BEETHOVEN

VintageVideos
LOL I always loved statistics!
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: FIFTH OF BEETHOVEN

PattiForPM
Hope all this Chat on other Threads hasn't put off any Arsenal supporters from commenting here

Re: FIFTH OF BEETHOVEN

BeautifulBabs
no you're ok p4pm they are my 2nd favourite team but I like to post on Ruby Tuesday 6 days late

Re: FIFTH OF BEETHOVEN

Andeebee
Well, what can a say a classic disco number performed with sit down aplomb by the lovely girls, and Floid looking frightening in some mad wig.  not that you would notice them...it's a number that grows on you...

8/10

DOTD - the ever reliable and eye achingly stunning Sue

Re: FIFTH OF BEETHOVEN

PattiForPM
THanks for taking time to vote ADB.  I'm almost starting to get the impression that you like Sue in some of these Dances   Seriously though these Ruby Flipper performances are great for highlighting the four ladies in my opinion and as we have said before it would be nice to have four independent eyes so as not to miss anything.  That's one of the reasons I like 5th of Beethoven as the big backdrop pics and the scanning action of the camera allows us good views of all the participants.  I'm waiting for BB and hope there might be other opinions still to be expressed

Re: FIFTH OF BEETHOVEN

BeautifulBabs
10 and dotd cherry- how long have you got this is brilliant - superb timing and fitness in the leg movements. great moves from the boys without detracting from the girls who look a superb 4 some of equal beauty.

Nice stripey knickers

Love it but understand others who might not - but this is no lazy chair routine but a masterpiece

thank you Flick