FOOT STOMPIN' MUSIC -- 24/07/1975

Hello, Hello, I'm Back Again!
Foot Stompin' Music
Performed by Hamilton Bohannon and reaching number 23 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 24/07/1975 Duration of dance - 2.49 mins
Dancers: Babs, Cherry, Dee Dee, Ruth, Sue
A link to the dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPVlpwSWfRk

Hamilton Frederick Bohannon may have been unknown to Joe Public before 1975, but his musical career started much earlier. In 1964 he was the drummer in Stevie Wonder's touring band, and a few years later he began working for the Motown label. His first solo album came out in 1973 but it wasn't until his second album that he managed to establish some chart success with the single "South African Man" (#22 in the UK). Bohannon was a prolific song writer during 1975 as he released no less than three albums in that year, with "Insides Out" providing three UK hit singles, "Foot Stompin' Music", "Disco Stomp" & "Happy Feeling". His output was so massive that he managed the rare feat of having two singles in the UK Top 30 at the same time for four weeks in the summer of 1975.
Strangely, after the success of "Insides Out", his music soon went out of fashion, and only two more singles would enter the UK charts in 1978 and 1982 and none of them would make the Top 40.

"Footstompin' Music" (which has been heavily edited for single release) was peaking at #23 when Pan's People performed their memorable routine, and boy can we thank Mr. Bohannon that he didn't find the time to appear on TOTP himself! This is a dance that you won't forget, and it will end much too soon every time you watch it, even if the track is a bit monotonous. But who cares for the music here anyway when you have five beauties who are striving with each other for the sexiest and raunchiest moves?
This routine has everything that the Dads love, a lot of solo performances, close-ups, good lighting, a great disco beat to move to, even the dresses are pleasing (these boots!). So what's not to like?
Well, as I said, the only weak point here may be the record itself which is far from being an ear worm like "Barbados" and it's not something I prefer to listen to very often. But as the routine is near perfect in every other aspect I will only dock half a point. Dancer of the Day is, again, very difficult as this is a routine where all five could be nominated, but my eyes are mostly drawn to Ruth so she will get my vote.

9.5 / 10

DotD: Ruth

P.S.: This post contains an "easter egg"!

Re: FOOT STOMPIN' MUSIC -- 1975

PattiforPM
Well, talk about coming back with a bang!  This is a brilliant choice and is as hot as it gets with highlights from all the ladies.  I love the moonlight and the absurd notion that these beauties are competing for our attention is made believable by dancers and choreographer to great effect.  I agree the song is no classic really but it's the beat we need and that is there is spades.  I also like the retreating then advancing Troupe move which almost prompts you to shout "Please don't go."  Who should be DotD?  Ruth is really good but Sue shines bright here too, even achieving the applause of her colleagues.  In the end though it's the fascinating Cherry who won't let me vote for anyone else here.  I could play that hand-jive section forever with Cherry's sly smile.  And the score?   10/10 for my favourite line-up and a super hot performance.  The Easter Egg remains unopened as yet....

Re: FOOT STOMPIN' MUSIC -- 1975

Likes-
Could go on forever ........
Track especially the opening when the girls spring into action.
lyrics not hard to learn
Awesome tight huddle at the end looking at camera as in Vv's great screenshot- this became a pans trademark and features in some other routines around that time, mardi gras ,and I think also in the  hustle, it's better to have and maybe more- just love these and somehow cherry always shines in these.
I watch it a lot
Centre stage for solos is unique
that mr bohannon chose not to turn up in person

Disklikes-

Ruth's bandy green top though its not her fault she had to wear it -maybe it was in fashion at the time but it doesnt go well with the other outfits and as as always bands make you look wider than you are even if you are a Pans person.

Babs seems to want to turn her back and get off the stage as soon as possible- doesn't make much of her solo spot maybe her hair fell over her eyes.

Neither of these minor points cause the dance to lose marks.

This has always been in my pans 10 point club and Cherry is my vote for  dancer of the day.

Re: FOOT STOMPIN' MUSIC -- 1975

PaulF
Good routine shows off the girls at their best. Can't find anything to mark down so 10/10.

Now to decide between Ruth's raunchiness or Sue's sexiness..........Sue wins DOTD.
Paul

Re: FOOT STOMPIN' MUSIC -- 1975

A good choice for your return VV as this is a winner from the moment Sue starts stomping.  All five dancers work the routine well although it is the two younger members who really shine here for me.  That Celtic shirt isn't my favourite costume look though, but the shredded jeans add to the vibe and the second outing for Sue's DD top is also noteworthy.  So a 9.5 from me, and while its close between Cherry and Sue my Dotd pick goes to Sue.

PS.  And thanks for the offer but I think I'll leave the GG EE.

Re: FOOT STOMPIN' MUSIC -- 1975

BeautifulBabs
is the easter egg actually the thing p4pm is calling the moonlight VV ?
it looks more egg than moonshaped to me - perhaps pink foil covered ?

Re: FOOT STOMPIN' MUSIC -- 1975

From the very start of the routine, you'd know that we were in for a literal one, Foot Stompin' Music, indeed with the, in yer face, landing on the dance floor, of a high-heeled boot, you could tell that these girls were hard, they weren't around just to roll over, with every man's fantasy wishes.
Sue, & Cherry, especially here, seem to be revelling in the party atmosphere.
The only gripes are really that the dancers seem to be ever so slightly over-dressed above their waists, it doesn't really go with their lower halves, & we could've done without the cross-fading camera shots towards the routines climax, it made them all look like ghosts.

8/10

DotD:-

Sue

Re: FOOT STOMPIN' MUSIC -- 1975

Andeebee
Awful song, but it was the early days of disco (still migrating out of the music halls into the 'Disco's' we all know), sadly Disco Stomp is better, bu since BBC confined that to a dustbin/landfill, then we have this.

This runs basically off the percussion and (foot stompin') bass line.  shredded clothes (DR Banner would be 'green' with envy - geddit, nudge nudge) and turns on the podium to see who can stomp and out gyrate the last Pans Person.  Not a great track, but nonetheless ADB awards this a stompin' 10/10

DOTD: was trickier, Sue, Ruth or young Cheryl?????? would like all three, but will plump for the teeny bikini and hip gyrates of young Sue

Re: FOOT STOMPIN' MUSIC -- 1975

PBP if you'd put much less above the waist on Sue and Cherry you'd have had a political firestorm and Dads fainting all over the UK on your conscience

Re: FOOT STOMPIN' MUSIC -- 1975

Andeebee
They had lower halves to look at, damn didn't know that - I was too hypnotized by the upper half, pass the smelling salts...

Re: FOOT STOMPIN' MUSIC -- 1975

No BB, the Easter Egg is hidden in the message - and at least one member already found it (and mentioned it).

Re: FOOT STOMPIN' MUSIC -- 1975

Yes great comeback choice Vin. Decent song, sexy outfits, nice use of the confined space on the box. Not gonna go to a max, but for me `9 out of 10` seems about right.

DOTD, sexy `Sue` really catches my eye in this.

Re: FOOT STOMPIN' MUSIC -- 1975

Colm
A nice mix of music and dancing: I like how everyone gets a turn on the podium and makes their own mark.

DotD: For catching my eye the most, and also for seriously getting her groove on, Ruth

Score: 8.5

Re: FOOT STOMPIN' MUSIC -- 1975

This is a travesty, a fine routine like this as only attained 8 sets of marks so far. Come on guys, lets give our new host some support and at least get the thing in double figures. (Yes Legs & Co fans, this means you) !!!

Re: FOOT STOMPIN' MUSIC -- 1975

mojo2007
I am not sure about the lighting so mark it only 9.5.   I am biased, Ruth is my  pick again.  Cherry looks lovely but is not so  energetic.

mojo

Re: FOOT STOMPIN' MUSIC -- 1975

A good chose to start with Vintagevideos for your comeback routine. The ladies are on raunchy form, from the start of the routine.The five ladies dances to the strong dances beat all the way through. The set is minimal, just a small square stage is on the studio floor. And at the back wall is a bright yellow sun shaped light. The ladies are dressed very differently. The two young ladies Sue and Cherry. Are wearing bikini tops and shredded denim jeans. Ruth is wearing a green and white off the shoulder top with the shredded denim jeans. Bab's white blase and Dee Dee's light green waistcoat with again shredded denim jeans. All the ladies are wearing white boots. The routine starts with the all ladies on the small stage. Then jumps on and off the stage at a fartic pace. All the ladies get solos in this routine. So make this a fantastic routine from ladies.

Now we come to the Dotd Well it come down to the two young dancer Sue and Cherry. Two sexy ladies indeed to watch dancing on this stage. But again I would say Sue wins on costume and dancing.

The score will have to be 10 out of 10.

Re: FOOT STOMPIN' MUSIC -- 1975

VintageVideos
Thanks for all your comments guys, it seems this routine is immensely popular among the dads. I am particularly delighted to welcome mojo2007 in the Pan's People comments section. I know you're far from being a "newbie", so it's especially nice you found your way here, and I hope you will continue to share your thoughts about upcoming routines with us.

Re: FOOT STOMPIN' MUSIC -- 1975

Gorgeous Daze
This is heady music with the perfect routine for it. In both sound and dancing there are flavours of the sixties, but mixed with moves like the hip-thrusts that haven't dated one bit. The monotonous rhythm is almost tribal; above the waist Cherry and Sue have gone suitably native. And there's certainly something Celtic about Ruth. With the clapping and stomping and drumming on the floor, and the colour-changing full celestial body illuminating the heavenly bodies down below, it's like an invocatory rite to Pan. I like the opening with the lifting darkness serving to uncloak the sexiness of the attire. As Vin says, this one ticks all the boxes. And more. All built around the dais, a simple piece of apparatus but very effectively used.

Shazam! It worked. The beneficent one has granted us two of each girl. Along with another Great Egg in the sky (well I too can't identify another one). The intoxication is complete. But I'm not giving it a ten and my rationale for that is the same as Vin's. The song provides a powerful engine for a cracking routine, but it isn't one I want to add to my collection of dance-related downloads. I very nearly also decided on 9.5, but because the girls put in totally wowing efforts I'm loath to penalize it more than 0.25. So it's 9.75/10.

DOTD is Ruth who puts in a top performance and just edges it from Sue.

Re: FOOT STOMPIN' MUSIC -- 1975

BeautifulBabs
so round up to 10 I think quarter marks not allowed
GD I think Theresa would want that too

Re: FOOT STOMPIN' MUSIC -- 1975

bucksby
Great routine, I wouldn't say the song was a classic but the girls are so full of energy it doesn't matter. Ruth looks a bit like Patti in this with her hair! No wonder Bing was excited, surprised he didn't have a heart attack there and then (he had one playing golf) so 9 or the routine and I think Babs stands out here for me so DOTD for Mrs Powell
123