FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS [March]

FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS Dance/performance number 158 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Neil Diamond   reaching number 16 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  29/03/79  Duration of dance/performance 2.36 mins
Dancers - Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Pauline 141
Sue      141
Rosie    138
Patti     137
Gill       134
Lulu      133
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26p2j6_legs-co-forever-in-blue-jeans-totp-tx-29-03-1979_creation

Dressing up time again for Legs & Co. I get the feeling that Flick took it easy this week and devised a quite simple routine for the girls to perform to and why not, she cant come up with great complex routines every week. Once the girls are de-robed they reveal different costumes all made of denim. I wont go all Lena Martell on you and discuss the greatest revolution in the clothing industry this century, but three of the ladies are given standard Legs & Co outfits, each sure fire winners. Namely, Sue, Lulu & Rosie, each attired in outfits to please. Cant say im to enamored with Gill and Rosies costumes, but the big loser is Patti. What was Flick thinking dressing her like that, but credit to Patti for playing the role to the full.

The walking up and down the stairs does match Neils gravelly singing style. Notice how the stairs are black and white. Seems the black and white thing was all the go in 1979, and this still 3 months before Two-Tone. Quite a number of routines featured black and white this year.

Another thing to look out for, and the eagle eyed among you will have spotted it. Sue slipping as she skips upstairs, could have been nasty if she had gone over.

Anyway, on to my rating. Well theres no annoying cross fading to irk me, we get nice shots of the dancers and its not a bad song. But i feel i cant mark this to highly as its a reasonably simple routine. Just `7.25 out of 10` from me.

DOTD. Yikes, Sue in a school uniform, Lulu in Babydoll, Rosie in Bunnygirl waitress. Its got to be `Sue`.

Re: SOME GIRLS [March]

It's a literal dance routine, but so far along, there's every way of wearing blue denim on display, bar actual blue jeans, which for me seems bizarre, & that's a strange opening, with the ladies covering themselves with shiny tarpaulins, but I did actually enjoy this one, & they all did well not to have any nasty accidents on the open steps, especially the dancers that were wearing stiletto heels.

8/10

DotD:-

Pauline

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS [March]

The casting here is spot-on: I love how Lulu and Patti play their roles up at the start of the routine, and kudos to Flick for avoiding the obvious costume of putting the girls in jeans - then again, didn't she do a similar thing for "Jeans On" with Ruby Flipper?

Anyway, I prefer watching this routine - even the sound is better - than the Lena/RF version.

Score: 8

DotD: Gonna break my '79 duck and vote for Sue - until Ryan mentioned it, I never even noticed her slight slip on the stairs, and still didn't when watching it back just now.

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS [March]

The Sue slip, is only slight i grant you. It comes at 1.04 mins on the blog version. Though i concede its hardly noticeable, but more evident if you look on the iplayer or play it back on your TV.
==================
On the recently added DM (edit) clip, the slight slip is at 1.26 mins.

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS [March]

Not a favourite although there are some nice moments;Patti struggling along as a granny;Sue and Lulu being a bit naughty; Rosie shaking her plate in those ears;and Sue again for her best Donna Fielding impersonation.Talking of Sue almost falling,i did notice Lulu looking down very carefully when walking down the stairs.8/10
DotD:Patti

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS [March]

I think this is quite creative with its "reveal" and the stairs and various "ages of denim" but I am afraid it is not really exciting even with the participation of the baby doll, the bunny and the beautiful hockey player and I really don't like the song much and this dampens my enthusiasm a little.  I do think Granny Patti does really well in her role and shows just enough leg in the last half of the proceedings to please her younger fans too so she's getting my DotD for her efforts under trying circumstances.  All in all though this Dance is quite fun but doesn't quite achieve high award status for me so I'm giving 7/10  for Flick's fertile imagination

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS [March]

PaulF
Simple and short routine made more difficult by the mixture of stairs and high heels. Poor Patti copes well with her cameo but DOTD its "jolly hockey sticks" Sue for me. Overall score 7.5/10
Paul

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS [March]

Andeebee
It seems Sue like dressing as schoolgirl, and I am not complaining one bit.

Simple and fun up and downstairs and pose dance to a rather hypnotic neil Diamond track (yes it's quite good, and I am getting older now so I can like these things)

The still on DM (where YT comes from I don't know) I was gonna use was the shot of Sue and Lulu on  the stairs, and that shot is worth the price of admission alone, but decided not to.

Not one of the best but not the worst (that belongs to the awful Cool meditation - so far)

Scores 8.5/10

DOTD: again torn between Lulu, Rosemary & Sue, but what the heck - I love a school uniform, so Sue gets this

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS [March]

Although a fairly straightforward routine the steps add a certain something, as of course do the costumes with Flick drawing on the bard, albeit with only six of the seven ages to play with, so I'm giving this a solid 7 for invention.

As for Dotd I'm torn between Lulu and Sue.  Fortunately in this instance the infant is beyond the mewling and puking phase, while the schoolgirl has foresworn her satchel for a hockey stick.  It's a difficult choice but for some cheeky tongue poking schoolgirl Sue just gets my selection.

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS [March]

Gorgeous Daze
It had to be a sedate dance, so perhaps Flick thought why not go for a novel and normally out-of-the-question set.

Those unwieldy capes were never going to stay on long. What's underneath is a lifetime of denim, which makes it far more interesting than six pair of jeans. Even if none of us would have complained had the jeans been skin-tight....We go from infant Lulu (in heels, no wonder she takes a while to learn to walk!) to dowager Patti, who happily rejuvenates. And possibly on up the staircase to the black void of eternity in denim. Sue makes a scrummy schoolgirl to us Yewtree-resistant lot. I assume Rosie is filling-in before her career. With 'Keep On Dancin'' and 'I Want Your Love' recently behind them I'll have a stab that it's a March wedding hat trick with Pauline even marrying in denim, and Gill as the mother. She does some parental finger-wagging later.

The four different close-ups with each beat between the first two verses/choruses are very effective. The best moment is when they come down the stairs one-by-one in perfect diverse character. The arms up, leg up, thing that comprises the last third of the routine is a little too basic, but I still enjoy this one quite a lot.

For DOTD Gill, and particularly Patti, are sartorially disadvantaged. But Patti gets it for playing the shortest straw so well.

8.5/10

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS [March]

Adorable Gillusion
7/10  DOTD...Rosie

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS [March]

Lookmacinanger
Money talks but it don’t sing and dance and it don’t walk, well Neil that rule might have applied in March ’79, but with the upcoming change in administration we were introduced to market forces and soon found out that money does everything.

Okay that’s the ideology out the way, the dance to this track is fairly interesting and deserves credit but once again if there are stairs I’m always looking out for a stumble. 8/10, Dotd Lulu

Reaching the parts other dancers cannot reach

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS [March]

AC/PD
Although it would have been nice to see Legs & Co. portraying the Roman god of love, Venus, in standard cowboy clobber, the less obvious aspect of denim costumes from infancy through to the Autumn of life works well enough.
The otherwise superb Sue's slight stumble is over and done with in an instant and as usual doesn't affect her performance, although the cheeky tongue poke provides a much more lasting memory. It's nice to imagine the thoughts and comments of the ladies upon the realisation that the occasional saucy costume would be their dance-wear. Whatever the outfit, they somehow manage to maintain and promote the fun aspect in their portrayals, smothering any hints of actual sleaze, thank goodness.
That said, I'd like to know what Patti's got on underneath...the leg glimpses posing a question or two. By the way, how well suited is Gill to hats of the wide-brimmed variety? Tie the hair back, slip one on, flash the choppers and she looks fabulous.
As there's a 'showbiz' staircase, it's great that the standard synchronised slow kick to the beat whilst slowly descending the stairs forms the grand finale of the routine. Showbiz, staircase: all that's missing at the end is a quick chat on the sofa with Des O'Connor.
8/10
DOTD:Patti

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS [March]

VintageVideos
The outfits promise more than the dance actually delivers. Add to this the slow start of this routine and it sums up to a rather disappointing 7.5 - could have been much more.

DotD: Pauline
If I only had one love yours would be the one I'd choose

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS [March]

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS [March]
Mar 31, 2014; 8:39pm — by Pauline's Dimples

"As there's a 'showbiz' staircase, it's great that the standard synchronised slow kick to the beat whilst slowly descending the stairs forms the grand finale of the routine. Showbiz, staircase: all that's missing at the end is a quick chat on the sofa with Des O'Connor."

I don't know about Des, but how about having Mike Yarwood's stairs instead?

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS [March]

Mikey
So we've had an assortment of ramps, platforms, podiums, scaffolding and other hazards to negotiate, dance on and around, but now Flick and the team go one better with a whole staircase!. I liked the 'ta da' reveal of the denim outfits but this routine is just bizarre from start to finish.

All the characters are good particularly Patti (as the old lady) is excellent, her slowness at negotiating the stairs is well performed and quite amusing, particularly when Pauline 'legs' it up there in front. The dancing on the stairs at the end is quite fun with the high kicks (of course these are low kicks for Patti) in a showbiz style.

A difficult one to score, there are plenty of funny moments but not a great dance per se, 7.5/10, DOTD Patti

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS [March]

Old Grey Whistler
I was never a big fan of Neil Diamond back in the day, but I have grown to appreciate him more over the years, and I quite like this song.
The dancing in this performance is basic with the staircase providing a very physical obstacle against producing anything too sophisticated. The concept and look of this routine is good though with each of the ladies in their costume representing a different age. This all helps to give the dance it's own identity and helps it to stand out amongst their other performances.
I will score this 8 out of 10, and Patti gets DOTD for her performance as the granny.

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS [March]

The next routine we see the ladies do is Forever in Blue Jeans. We first see the ladies coming down some a big staircase. In a large silver cape around them. When the capes were removed we saw the ladies in different denim costume. So we had Sue in a school uniform. Patti dressed as a grandma, and Rosie dressed as bunny girl. Lulu in that baby doll costume and Pauline in blue denim gown. And Gill as glamour model with that blue denim hat. The ladies do a nice routine to the song.

The dotd must go to Sue for one great moment in the routine. When she sticks out her tongue at the camera when she run by the camera.

The score must be 8 out of 10.
Stu

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS [March]

Stu
Well this is about as literal as it gets. It's a great song with a fun routine, and it's definitely one I'll come back to from time to time. Patti nearly got DOTD for her hilarious old woman take, but for that infectious smile and elegant lines I'm going for Pauline.

9/10

DOTD - Pauline

Stuey

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS [March]

Old Bill
This post was updated on .
Now... we are talking!

This is wonderful. Yes, a simple dance but on that staircase they couldn't be taking any risks - toddlers or pensioners! whatever time of life they're at!
I really love the outfits, and love the song. The choreography is never gonna win any prizes, but it's still great.
And Sue's slip... blimey, people have sharp eyes on here!! How on earth did you ever spot that Ryan!?

It's the overall package that delights here. Beauty, moves, music, outfits, sexiness (yes!), fun and smiles all make up more than a sum of the parts. And Sing-a-long-a-Lulu is the icing on this diamond of a cake.

10/10 and Lulu and her teddy for DotD

Having re-watched umpteen times today, it occurred to me that I hadn't given a specific mention to Patti's super performance as the doddering old granny. Well done that girl! But my Denim of the Day remains unchanged!
Jeremiah 31:13
12