Quantcast

FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS

PattiForPM
   Lena Martell is a Scottish lady born in Glasgow and known as a one-hit wonder hitting #1 with One Day at a Time in late 1979.  She had a brief TV series "Lena's Music" in the Autumn of 1979 and the revised version of Ruby Flipper (Patti, Rosie, Lulu and three lads who shall remain nameless until a later Dance) provided the dancing prowess for this (two dances on each of three Shows).  I have chosen to review these Dances to add some flavor to the Ruby Flipper Thread starting today.  I was thinking that Lena was impressed after TOTP appearances with the Dancers but actually her One Day at a Time hit came after this Show so I was mistaken.  She must simply have wanted the best choreographer in the business I suppose.
   Forever in Blue Jeans is a Neil Diamond song (co-written by his guitarist Richard Bennett) and it was a hit in the Spring of 1979, reaching #16 and more importantly achieving fame by being danced to by the mighty Legs & Co.  Mr Diamond, to give him his dues, is #3 on the all time Adult Contemporary Artist list behind only Babs and Sir Elton.  He was also apparently a fine Saber Fencer, achieving a Fencing scholarship to NYU in his youth.

            FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS    -  Lena Martell                                                July 25th 1979

               DANCERS:         Lulu, Patti, Rosie, Three Lads (stay tuned)

                     LINK:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNFeaeKtpSM

  The three ladies have borrowed costumes from the Legs & Co performance with Lulu and Rosie re-wearing their March gear but Patti renting Sue's schoolgirl hockey uniform (to fine effect, I'm sure we'll all agree).  I believe it was the observant SueFan who noticed that Lulu sports a refurbished Teddy Bear here however.  Of course it is all denim and the boys are also in blue-jean suits (and hats in some cases).  The Dance is fairly sedate, as indeed it had to be on this kind of Show, but enjoyable nevertheless I think.  Lena sings well enough but I do prefer the gruffer Mr Diamond version I must say.  Personally I am awarding  7/10  as I do like the costumes and I ask you to judge this routine in context if possible, not expecting it to rate with some of the racy or hyper-artistic TOTP performances as these dancers were backing up a different kind of singer on a different kind of Show here.  I am greying out the DotD button for these Lena performances as they do not include the usual Ruby Flipper personnel.  Please tell me you impressions

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS

Suefan
As I said at the time that these Ruby F Mk2 dances were discovered in the archive I like them.  The routine here is simple but it provides excellent backing to Lena, who I'm also a fan of, and so on balance I'm going slightly higher in giving this a score of 7.5.  The girls look absolutely scrumptious, especially Lulu with her new Teddy, although I do miss Sue.

Raw work in the Changing Room! (Glasgow Report 25/07/79)

Now this is a tale that will shock and appall,
Indeed I'm not sure I should tell you at all.
It concerns a young dancer, lets call her Sue
And another fine hoofer, Miss Patti her cue.

One day in late March on BBC One
Had appeared a routine full of frollicks and fun.
When the girls had shone in a gem of a dance
That left all the onlookers quite in a trance.

Lulu and her teddy and Gill, frock so smart,
While Rosie kept table and Pauline melted hearts.
And, eschewing her jeans for a sexier look,
Young Sue took her gym kit down from the hook.

Then she tripped up and down with a grin on her face,
Her bubblegum gone, well hardly a trace,
As she cavorted about to that Diamond tune
Looking ever so tasty to make everyone swoon.

Well later that year, July to be sure,
The Scots came a calling, they wanted some more.
"What to give them?".  Flick thought for a bit,
Why, "Forever in Blue Jeans".  The perfect fit.

So again Susan rehearsed, all day and all night,
To wow the audience with something just right,
To stun and amaze the assembled throng,
So that nothing could possibly, could it, go wrong.

But come the big day, well this scarce you will ken.
You'd better be seated for this bit of gen.
Pour yourself a strong dram and take a big sip
Cos that naughty Miss Patti's run off with her slip!
------------------------------------

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS

'Flick Colby's Ruby Flipper', gave quite a respectable dance routine, to the above track.
That's true about this routine having to be safe, these dancers couldn't exactly be like Hot Gossip, on the ultra-clean Lena Martell Show, I do find these RF performances rather enjoyable, more than I'd expected, & this one's no exception, but it would've been nice for the girls to be wearing blue jeans as well as the boys, & Lulu's teddy bear looked a tad superfluous, but otherwise I can't really fault anything.

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS

   I cant confess to being the biggest Lena Martell fan, indeed i find her delivery of this a bit drab. Thank goodness then she was given assistance to liven things up by 50% of Legs & Co and three geezers all going under the handle of Flick Colby's Ruby Flipper (whats all that about !.)
   I obviously much prefer the Legs version, but this is okay i guess. Pity poor Teddy Bear didn't make it up to BBC Scotland, Lulu has acquired a new one with a white belly !
   Another observation, i've just realized this is the 3rd occasion we see Patti handling a hockey stick, though i have to confess id prefer it to have been a 3rd time for Sue.

Good idea to deactivate Dotd, imagine someone selecting one of the blokes. As a matter of interest, did we ever ID them. Suppose this would be Jez territory.

`7.5 out of 10` for my rating.

(Nice poem SF, been ages since we had one)

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS

Andeebee
mmmm, not a fan of this, do prefer the TOTP version, but as it's Lena it's all safe safe safe, jolly hockey sticks from Patti, teddy with Lulu.....not much else to say, nice far to middling routine executed with enough panache to keep your attention on the Flipper ladies rather than on old dowdy frump and Grandma's favourite Lena.

7/10 for effort

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS

I think that two of them, are David, & the black guy's called Okon, but I've no idea who the other blokes called.

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS

PattiForPM
Thanks for your views guys and yes the lads' names are David, Nick and Okon as you'll see in a later Dance.  Great verse SF and I know you feel for Sue and her frock but I'm sure Patti asked before borrowing it!  I'm hoping for some more comments as you all gradually recover from watching the wondrous spectacle that is Tragedy on Ryan's Legs Thread as well as the lovely flashing Go-Go dancers on Vin's channel

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS

Colm
I do prefer the L&C routine to this, as it's more varied in its movement and the choice of costumes, and I can't say I find Lena's voice as tolerable as Neil Diamond's, but it's nice to some continuity between the routines.

Score: 6.5

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS

PaulF
Dreary version of the song but the girls look fabulous and worth a 7/10
Paul

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS

Mikey
Worth the price of admission for Rosie and that bunny girl outfit, in fact all the Legs ladies outfits are a bit saucy, and nice of Lulu to bring her teddy (bear) with her. Did this non conservative attire escape Lena's attention somehow?. The blokes denim top hat and tails look slightly ridiculous and obviously they are not Phil, Gavin and Floyd, perhaps if you squint a bit it might...no it doesn't work. Not a fan of the song, and this version does not really lend itself much beyond the most basic of routines.

A functional, but unexciting 6.5/10

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS

VintageVideos
Lena Martell singing "Forever in Blue Jeans" is a bit like Peter Noone singing "Oh! You Pretty Things" (not sure if you get my point). Nice song to put you to sleep though, and the girls are looking fine. That's about all the positive aspects I could find here

5 / 10

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS

Andeebee
LOL, got the reference Vin

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS

PattiForPM
Me too but I'm more impressed by the upside down emoticon

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS

Now im really really impressed by the upside emoticon. Now that has stumped me

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS

Maybe the coded text used to generate that emoticon, was somehow inverted, before posting, using some special tool, possibly from a word processing app., that was copied, & pasted from, & subsequently to the reply box for this thread, in it's inverted format.

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS

easy

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS

Paperboyplod wrote
Maybe the coded text used to generate that emoticon, was somehow inverted <snip>
Actually it's much much easier.

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS

PattiForPM
Well I flipped the emoticon upside down in Paint and it worked but I have a feeling these boys can do it easier than that.  In the mantime I still need one more review to allow this Dance onto the league table so please let me hear from more friends and I'll accept the opinion either way up

Re: FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS

Gorgeous Daze
The only thing Lena has over Neil, is you couldn't mistake this for Reverend Blue Jeans (the Somerset vicar?).

It was a welcome and slightly daring decision from Flick to re-employ some latitude with the girls and make it Forever In Blue Denim again. I like the hockey girl and baby doll stylings (Teddy is a cute touch), but for some reason I've never liked the bunny girl look. David is probably managing Stockport County now and Okon the Holistic Therapy Centre in Basingstoke. Nick runs Amnesiacs Anonymous. The dancing is what works with the staid light entertainer and the easy song. But not the lacklustre delivery, which doesn't really raise those sunny smiles.

Charming enough in the circumstances for a 7/10