FUNKY WEEKEND - February 1976

Features Mary Ruth Lee Sue & Cherry from 26/2/1976

You cant watch it on here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uePpR71yPZ0

Ok this is how I came across this - 2 years ago i was working away for the weekend opening of a new building in Liverpool. I had no pc web access and when I checked the net via phone I was astonished- :P4PM had sent YMG a new pans routine from the locker of David Hamilton missing from my collection  !- and I had no access to my home pc to download and when I tried to play it just crashed. So I had a tantrum in hotel reception to get free wi fi password included in booking, watched it and when I got back to the new office everyone said- you've cheered BB up why is that ?

Likes :
David's intro about spending the weekend with the girls
Love the freezing, trancing in this and I think this theme is unique in that respect (if you discount the atrocity of the stopping in I can't stop)
It's the girls
Stylistics are the band who the girls performed to more than anyone & some of the best routines across all troupes are theirs
Every friday weekend the expression funky weekend crops up and it makes you think I'll have a good one
thanks Diddy david for sharing but biggest thanks for midnight rider

Loses marks for :

Perhaps Ruth and Flick were thinking of ending Pans at this time and didnt go out of their way
costumes a bit Brentford nylons would go up in flames if someone lit a match
David's peek over collar from a shirt designed for tie wear- that is wrong in the view of fashion police of all backgrounds

not all that funky
some wobbles on freezing- Mary note
light effects and backdrop not special enough and below the standard of flipper and legs later in the year

So only a 7 from me and cherry dotd

it's a long haul friends

Re: FUNKY WEEKEND - February 1976

PattiforPM
Great Stylistics pic BB and good addition to the Pans Comments Thread once again.  This is one of my favorite Stylistics numbers and I too like the freeze technique Flick uses.  I find the focus a bit distant for my liking here and the dresses could perhaps be a little more flattering but I like the performance generally and Cherry's hair is right on form.  Actually I'll be honest and say this is another of those "watch Cherry" edicts for me and so she just has to be DotD.  I think this is an 7.5/10  as far as I'm concerned; not a classic but very watchable and I too was thrilled when I realized it was available to see.  (And BTW do you give tantrum lessons BB?)

Re: FUNKY WEEKEND - February 1976

Paperboyplod
A fairly average routine as those of Pan's People go, but which has a great funky disco track to accompany it, the costumes are a bit hard to make out in the dim lighting but but a great display of twirly dance moves is plain for all to see, I particularly like Sue's little personal jig close to the camera during the performance as well.

7/10

DotD:-

Sue

Re: FUNKY WEEKEND - February 1976

My vote for DotD goes to the dancer who I feel is most comfortable and confident here: Sue.  I love her part-solo in the middle, with the right infusion of funk.

Score: 7

Re: FUNKY WEEKEND - February 1976

Suefan
This routine hits the right notes but could have done with a bit more candle power in those studio bulbs as the funky weekend looks a bit too much like the fuzzy or fuggy weekend.  Consequently it isn't one of those clips that get watched all that often but well worth a 7.5.

Re: FUNKY WEEKEND - February 1976

Kudos to Diddy David for unleashing these and other clips that he hosted to the general public, but how i wish this could have had the BBC4 treatment somehow for a sharper clearer picture, but of course that would have been impossible. The routine itself is okay, but not one id chose to play anytime soon.

Think i will chose `Cherry` for DOTD, she seemed to be putting her all into this one.

For my rating, well a `6.5 out of 10` is really all i can muster.

Re: FUNKY WEEKEND - February 1976

VintageVideos
I may be in a minority (or even the minority) here, but I prefer the earlier Stylistics material from their time with Thom Bell as producer. Much of their Hugo & Luigi stuff isn't bad either though, and the lighter pop/disco sound created by H&L and Van McCoy as arranger gave them their most successful hit in the UK and a few other Top 10 songs as well, such as this one, a No. 10 in March 1976.
Our troupes danced to more than half a dozen Stylistics records through the years, but of all the ones I've seen this is probably my least favourite. One reason for this is the fuzziness of this clip, the darkness in large parts of this routine combined with the inferior picture quality of a home recording seems to bother me here a lot more than in, say, 'Midnight Rider'. Another reason is that I'm not really fond of the song, it's neither very funky nor is it a classic disco track. Had Pan's People performed to the O'Jays 'I Love Music' instead, my verdict would certainly be completely different.
Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful that this routine has been saved by our hero David Hamilton, and I'm also grateful to the kind person who donated this to the blog/channel (the Overseas department in full swing again), but nonetheless it isn't one I watch very often.

6 / 10  DotD: She's doing nicely in the front line, that's why I've chosen Lee

Re: FUNKY WEEKEND - February 1976

This was the last time that Pan's people would dance to a song by the Stylistics. That had started back on the 8/8/74 and had finished with this song. The song that they are dancing to on this edition. Is not one of the better songs that the stylistics had done for me. The routine it self with the five ladies is interesting, but not great. To describe this dance, we start off with the first dancer jumping on to a floor. That is the colour of the centre of Swiss roll and striking a pose. The rest of the ladies do the same until the last lady come on to the floor. And all the ladies starts moving to the song in a funky way. Also in this dance we get flick Colby trick she uses a lot. The lighting of different colours shine down upon them, that makes they dresses change colours. To green, blue, yellow and red. In this dance we do not get any close ups of our favourites, unless they dance near the cameras. We are so lucky to have this routine, thanks to David Hamilton.
Now to the Dotd This happens at 1 minute 17 seconds when one Sue comes interview with a nice solo that bring it to life.

   6 out of 10

Re: FUNKY WEEKEND - February 1976

Andeebee
After a funky week off, and a hectic but less than funky weekend...I give this a 6/10 and DOTD: Sue

Re: FUNKY WEEKEND - February 1976

BeautifulBabs
well i never thought this would score high- thanks for all contribs and welcome Sueforever your support and contribution on this thread is most welcome - I just hope you like Babs a bit too...
I do think this one has a low variance of marks more than any other we've looked at so far

Re: FUNKY WEEKEND - February 1976

Just 9 sets of ratings on this. Come on some of you Legs & Co fans, please try to comment on Pans also, at least lets get this one into double figures.

Re: FUNKY WEEKEND - February 1976

Gorgeous Daze
This is the first time I've heard this cooler-than-average Stylistics' song. It's not really my thing and I probably prefer their more melodically memorable stuff. Not that that's exactly my cuppa either.

There's no denying this is too dark, Diddy-vision or not. A Funky Weekend needs lighting worthy of the occasion. I like the frozen poses and I like the solo forays toward the camera. The dancing is good, but it just lacks that vital spark that gets fingers tapping away to express enthusiasm.

DOTD the birthday girl + 1, Sue.

6.5/10

Re: FUNKY WEEKEND - February 1976

BeautifulBabs
I played this in the work lunch kitchen today to a friend who is a vegan as they ate their home made meat dairy free lunch ( looked delicious actually) - they made a v interesting observation that the stylistics were singing 'funky vegan' and not 'funky weekend' and having re-watched I sort of agree.
anyway a few forum friends are yet to post on this -please support this even if you have to say girls you had an average day......
we've got the john denvers to come friends so please be kind........

Re: FUNKY WEEKEND - February 1976

Looking forward to seeing you join in on the 1978 Legs & Co comments Babsy, you have a lot to catch up on !!!!!!

But yes i agree, they are singing `Funky Vegan` and yes, we need more than 10 sets of ratings for this, so please lets have a few more.

Re: FUNKY WEEKEND - February 1976

PaulF
Pleasant to watch 7.5/10 DOTD Sue.
Paul

Re: FUNKY WEEKEND - February 1976

Looking forward to seeing you join in on the 1978 Legs & Co comments Babsy, you have a lot to catch up on !!!!!!
Hi yes fair point Ryan cut me slack as in a bit of a sir humphrey thunderstorm at the moment

Re: FUNKY WEEKEND - February 1976

Okay Babsy, but if you join in tonight`s 1978 Legs comments section then prepare for War & Peace !

Re: FUNKY WEEKEND - February 1976

Lookmacinanger
Classic track by Stylistics getting full value from Pans People, give the people what they want a great disco track and the five girls showing off their full dancing reportage.

9/10, Dotd Mary

Re: FUNKY WEEKEND - February 1976

Doc
Rating 8, Dotd Mary.

Re: FUNKY WEEKEND - February 1976

bucksby
very pleasant to watch but certaintly not a firm classic. funky weekend is a great track and I think a bit more imagination into the dance would have been nice, DOTD Sue, routine a 7
12