Favourite Music To Routines

Hanway2
 I am interested to know what other people’s favourite music is that became part of a routine on Top Of The Pops.
This could have been performed by any of the dance groups from the programme, so that includes The Go-Jo’s, Pan’s People, Ruby Flipper, Legs and Co. and Zoo.
Also, because this is about the music, it can be from a routine that has been wiped and is no longer available to us in any way.
My own personal favourite will change in any given week, I feel.
But I have already mentioned that ‘Stoned Love’ by The Supremes, ‘The Green Manalishi’ by Fleetwood Mac and ‘Let’s See Action ‘ by The Who are particular favourites.
Perhaps others may like to state their own choices, which can be more than one if necessary, up to a maximum of three, but must have been backed at some stage by a TOTPs routine.

Re: Favourite Music To Routines

Hanway2
  And if you can provide links to YouTube or any other video or audio platform, so much the better.
I will try and do that for my choices soon.

Re: Favourite Music To Routines

Everything'sRosie
I think The Bee Gees and Legs & Co were a match made in heaven. Night Fever and Tragedy were great records in their own right, but the routines Flick came up with made them sound even better. So many others too. Chic, Michael Jackson (Jacksons), Donna Summer, EW&F. Of all the dance troupes I think Legs were blessed with the best music for routines.

Re: Favourite Music To Routines

Hanway2
 But isn’t that the beauty of music. I might disagree with you about which was the best period of music to provide routines,. As can be seen,  mine was from the early 70s. But both our viewpoints are equally valid.

Re: Favourite Music To Routines

Dancer
Interesting one.  I am going to be so mad and say all of them.  From the first memory of seeing Young Girl by Gary Puckett to the occasional early seventies ones and then bang right into 1974, 75, 76 (inclusive), I had to buy the record they danced to and I did not buy them just because of the routine (although it helped greatly) I just liked the song.  I sort of broke away from mid 1977 onwards and found my own level and then with the resurgence on TOTP2 I loved all of the music that Legs  & Co danced to and have majority (but not all) of the records.  I liked to copy the dances as a form of keeping fit but after one discechtomy that avenue of pleasure has curtailed now.  It is very difficult even when you hear these songs on the radio not to get up and do the routine.  It really showed I think that when the girls danced to these songs it helped sales by at least a few hundred if not more.  I drew the line at the medleys in 1981 as I thought that was just cheap session singers replicating one act.  Always felt sorry for the girls dancing to these as there was such beautiful songs in the charts at the time that they could have danced to; one such song would have been Grover Washington Junior, Just the Two of Us.

It is so impossible to pick three Hanway2 because I tend to like them all.  For three I will opt for:-

One of these Nights, Eagles
Fame, David Bowie and
Feel Like Making Love, Bad Company.  The latter would send any man to paradise and back with Sue in the background of the lovely Babs.

There is just one wish out of the above and that is to find a copy of Ruby Flipper dancing to Dr Hook's A Little Bit More.  I bet that would have been a lovely dance and hopefully with the amount of facebook pages for seventies music I have joined there might just be one person yet who would have recorded it and made our days.

We just have to give many thanks that we have been lucky enough to have seen these routines because there is nothing on TV that remotely gets anywhere near to dancing and I draw the line at SCD.

Re: Favourite Music To Routines

Gorgeous Daze
This is very difficult, so many records danced to that I really like. In fact more now than ever as with notable exceptions, before becoming a Legs & Co fan with the BBC Four repeats I wasn't that keen on most disco, but now the balance has reversed and I'm keen on most of it!

I'm a huge Bill Nelson fan and have far more CDs of his than anyone else, even without counting Be Bop Deluxe and I have all five of their studio albums and a double compilation. It's very special to me that Legs & Co danced to one of his songs so if I could only choose one I'd go for Maid In Heaven, which I already thought was great before discovering the routine.

Re: Favourite Music To Routines

VintageVideos
Almost impossible to limit myself to three nominations, but here you go:

Average White Band - Pick Up The Pieces
Isley Brothers - Harvest For The World
Paul Davidson - Midnight Rider

For me, the years 1970 until 1976 were the time when the best music was released as I was never that keen on either punk or disco. As you can see from my nominations, I am a big fan of classic 70s soul music. Probably even more than of classic rock. I used to have a cassette (remember those?) as a 14/15-year-old with recordings just for myself which I would never play to my friends who were mostly into progressive rock music. That cassette was full of - you guessed it - soul music like AWB, Al Green, The Ohio Players, Rufus feat. Chaka Khan and stuff like that.

Re: Favourite Music To Routines

Gorgeous Daze
VintageVideos wrote
Wouldn't surprise me if one or more of your friends secretly liked soul music too. Reminds me of the time I spotted a Dollar cassette in my mate's car. I started laughing and a little embarrassed he said, 'My auntie bought it me'. Then a little sheepishly I said, 'Actually, I quite like them, do you think I could borrow it?' He replied, 'Yeah, I bought it myself really'.

Re: Favourite Music To Routines

Hanway2
  As I started this thread, and had already mentioned my three choices several times of Stoned Love, Green Manalishi and Let’s See Action, I thought I might post up three more different tracks that rate among my favourites, that have dance routines to them,  even though two of these are long lost to us- presumably.
 These would be ‘Baby Love’ by The Supremes for The Go-Jo’s, ‘All Along The Watchtower’ by The Jimi Hendrix Experience and ‘In Dulce Jubilo’ by Mike Oldfield, both by Pan’s People. The routine for that last one no doubt most of you will have seen. The perfect Christmas record in fact!
Now to be played ad infinitum until the New Year, unfortunately or not!

Re: Favourite Music To Routines

Dancer
Good choice there Hanway 2.  I remember Pans People dancing to Baby Love and will always remember the Mike Oldfield track too.  Really good performance but for me I think the best Christmas routine was shown to me for the first time way in the noughties on TOTP2 New Years Eve show and the dance routine they shown was Legs & Co dancing to YMCA.  I liked the song when it was released and was glad it got the producers to No.1 and then the awful dance appeared in night clubs where I would instantly sit down.  It really cheapened the song and then when the girls danced to this WOW I just loved it all over again.  Gill on the front looked like Lucy Ewing from Dallas just coming down from the stables but each and everyone of those girls looked lovely miming to the song.  That still stands out for me one of the best festive dances.

Re: Favourite Music To Routines

PattiforPM
Good idea H2.  I'm cheating a bit and choosing three/four bands, sorry!   I have to say I agree with ER about Legs & Co  and the Bee Gees, with songs like Tragedy, Spirits Having Flown and Night Fever totally enhanced.  Ruby Flipper  had their fine Bee Gees  turn too, with the rousing You Should be Dancing but I think KC and the Sunshine Band  provided my favourite for them with Shake3 Your Booty and of course the wondrous Get Down Tonight performance and the very good That's the Way I Like It were beautifully danced by Pans People and of course there is Gill's piece de resistance Please Don't Go in the Legs & Co lexicon.   For Pans People  though it is Free/Bad Co  who carried the day for me with the fine Little Bit of Love, my dreams of the 1973 All Right Now and the lovely Feel Like Making Love and let's not forget the Legs & Co 1978 All Right Now in all it's glory.  I do agree with ER again about Legs having the best of the music scene although late Pans were pretty fortunate too.  Early Pans and Ruby had more music challenges but met them head on and have my admiration for their fine efforts.

Re: Favourite Music To Routines

Michael
Hello Hanway2

This is an interesting topic!

For me, there are many, but one that really stands out is Pan’s People’s routine for “Everything’s Tuesday” by Chaiman of the Board. For me, it has everything: a wonderfully uplifting song; imaginative choreography performed with enthusiasm, skill, and a sense of fun; Biba-style outfits (I really like ladies’ clothing from this period); and it also features some of my favourite dancers, and ultimately, the lovely Ms Clarke.

My only complaint about the clip is its poor quality, which makes identifying the ladies a little difficult at times. This is made even more frustrating by the knowledge that a decent copy does reside somewhere - the short clip of this routine on “Digging the Dancing Queens” is crystal clear by comparison. However, the YouTube version’s quality hasn’t  prevented me from viewing it many times!

Also, it is this song, an initially unidentified happy memory, and this routine that led me to OFTDs. I’m very pleased it did.

Another routine I like very much is actually a ‘mash up’: It features Pan’s People’s “Hip Hug Her” routine spliced with “The Hustle” by Van McCoy. If you’ve not seen this clip, it’s worth watching as the results are very good, and almost seamless:

https://youtu.be/V3kE0rvAJhM

There’s another version, which I think is also very effective:

https://youtu.be/Xc_c_5nNELc