Frisbee routines

Scotty
Long time lurker but curiosity got the better of me.  I've read the comments on the Pans People dances and I'm wondering which routines were created and rehearsed within hours of taping.  I'm talking about the routines that came about from the Flick's "frisbees".  Forgive me if this was asked and answered previously.

Re: Frisbee routines

Mikey
Theres no definitive 'frisbee' list, but try Sue's interview from a few years ago.

http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/Sue-s-answers-td4025954.html

Re: Frisbee routines

Willoway
Scotty wrote
 I'm wondering which routines were created and rehearsed within hours of taping.
Ruth says a bit about frisbees in the '76 TOTP annual, still covering PP. Strictly speaking none (that I've heard of) were created 'within hours' of taping, as this switch happened on Tuesday so they had the bulk of a day to do rehearsals including any new costuming before the studio and dress rehearsals on Wednesday afternoon.

Though I can't lay my fingers on either interview now, I've seen a couple of interviews with Flick where she said there were a few frisbees in a row in the early days (though in one the number she said was 6, in the second I think 4).

Edit: found one of the mentions, in 1979 (L&C era of course) Flick mentions 5 in a row during a summer, though no clues as to which summer, or even which group.
http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/Legs-Co-1976-79-tp4062428p2910106.html

Edit2: in the 1980 TOTP annual, Flick mentions sometimes "three weeks on the trot", even less clues this time.
http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/Legs-Co-1976-79-tp4062428p3996248.html
...is she really going out with him?

Re: Frisbee routines

Scotty
Thanks, will have a look.

On Jul 7, 2017 2:25 AM, "Mikey [via One for the Dads]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Theres no definitive 'frisbee' list, but try Sue's interview from a few years ago.

http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/Sue-s-answers-td4025954.html

http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/Frisbee-routines-tp4138489p4138499.html
To unsubscribe from Frisbee routines, click here.
NAML

Re: Frisbee routines

Scotty
Thanks that was interesting reading.

On Jul 7, 2017 4:13 AM, "Willoway [via One for the Dads]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Scotty wrote
 I'm wondering which routines were created and rehearsed within hours of taping.
Ruth says a bit about frisbees in the '76 TOTP annual, still covering PP. Strictly speaking none (that I've heard of) were created 'within hours' of taping, as this switch happened on Tuesday so they had the bulk of a day to do rehearsals including any new costuming before the studio and dress rehearsals on Wednesday afternoon.

Though I can't lay my fingers on either interview now, I've seen a couple of interviews with Flick where she said there were a few frisbees in a row in the early days (though in one the number she said was 6, in the second I think 4).
...is she really going out with him?

http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/Frisbee-routines-tp4138489p4138503.html
To unsubscribe from Frisbee routines, click here.
NAML

Re: Frisbee routines

PattiForPM
Hi Scotty.  I seem to recall Cherry in an interview talking about the many Frisbees in a row at some time too.  I have tried to pin down Frisbeed dances and their replacements over the years but without a lot of success.  For example there are a number of Legs & Co dances we have been tempted to think of as last minute replacements (such as Because the Night, from memory) but I think these have been more about conjecture than fact.  There is also the Chart evidence of unexpectedly dropping songs or the few dances which have gone to completion despite dropping in the Charts.  It's an interesting subject but open to all sorts of opinion

Re: Frisbee routines

JEZ
Hi Scott, according to cherry in an article from 1975 pans people were rehearing the carpenters new single solitaire until the charts came out on the Tuesday just as Lee and Mary joined ,but the record was frisbeed for what I can believe to be I only have eyes for you by art garfunkel.as the carpenters disc was climbing the charts the week before I can only assume this was their replacement dance as the carpenters disc was going down that week.

Re: Frisbee routines

VintageVideos
Interesting story, Jez. And it corresponds with the facts, unlike many other stories I heard in the past. I'm glad they did that Artie song by the way, as the first version is really beautiful.

Re: Frisbee routines

Dancer
I have always wondered about these too.  From history as a complete chart geek I got the feeling I picked up on one or two as a few singles went down a place in the chart only to reach its peak the next.  As someone above has stated it is conjecture and I could never comment on anything pre-1974 but from then onwards I did have a sneaky suspicion of a few.  Very curious as to Flick's summer ones.  Will have a proper look in the charts and hazard a guess in readiness for constructive criticism in the future.

Re: Frisbee routines

Scotty
With the unfortunate passing of Ruth, the corporate history of the Pans People frisbee routines is slowly being lost.  I would think the information would have to come from the source, i.e. Babs, Dee Dee, Cherry, Sue, Mary, and Lee.  I just thought it would be interesting to compare the ratings of the frisbee routines against the normal routines.  For instance was there a big drop off in the rating and the routine complexity.

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 8:31 AM, PattiForPM [via One for the Dads] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Scotty.  I seem to recall Cherry in an interview talking about the many Frisbees in a row at some time too.  I have tried to pin down Frisbeed dances and their replacements over the years but without a lot of success.  For example there are a number of Legs & Co dances we have been tempted to think of as last minute replacements (such as Because the Night, from memory) but I think these have been more about conjecture than fact.  There is also the Chart evidence of unexpectedly dropping songs or the few dances which have gone to completion despite dropping in the Charts.  It's an interesting subject but open to all sorts of opinion

http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/Frisbee-routines-tp4138489p4138523.html
To unsubscribe from Frisbee routines, click here.
NAML

Re: Frisbee routines

Willoway
One thing that struck me, reading through lots of newspaper interviews of the period, the word 'frisbee' doesn't appear to be used. Does anyone have any idea when this name was first applied?
...is she really going out with him?

Re: Frisbee routines

Scotty
If I remember correctly and it's hard at my age, I think it was an interview with Cherry that I heard the term.

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 11:19 AM, Willoway [via One for the Dads] <[hidden email]> wrote:
One thing that struck me, reading through lots of newspaper interviews of the period, the word 'frisbee' doesn't appear to be used. Does anyone have any idea when this name was first applied?
...is she really going out with him?

http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/Frisbee-routines-tp4138489p4138544.html
To unsubscribe from Frisbee routines, click here.
NAML

Re: Frisbee routines

Here maybe?

https://youtu.be/38MhS1AHLv0?t=1083

Re: Frisbee routines

Dancer
The Frisbee routine was used on the Dancing Queens show for the Beeb.  Yep Cherry's interview.

Re: Frisbee routines

Scotty
That's the one.

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 11:47 AM, Mikey [via One for the Dads] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Here maybe?

https://youtu.be/38MhS1AHLv0?t=1083

http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/Frisbee-routines-tp4138489p4138552.html
To unsubscribe from Frisbee routines, click here.
NAML

Re: Frisbee routines

Dancer
Some really interesting facts to read on here to relax to and absorb.  The interview with Flick was really interesting.  She looked lovely in her Legs & Co TOTP annual interview.  I had to look again thinking it was Patti at first glance.

If I could throw one out there as a potential Frisbee would be Lou Rawls as that had gone down in the charts and reclimbed up.  I get the feeling they had rehearsed that dance earlier and it dropped and then when it went back up they redid it because it was a lovely dance and one I always felt you could never do rehearse within 24 hours.  Throw that one out there for discussion but I shall look through my book soon and add what I think are my additions.

Re: Frisbee routines

VintageVideos
Yeah that Lou Rawls one, I always wondered why they should have rehearsed it as it had gone down the charts the week before. Maybe it was pre-recorded and then used a week later. I don't see an audience there.
A Fifth of Beethoven should have been a frisbee, but they showed it even though it had dropped out of the Top 30 that week, possibly because of the summer holiday they couldn't rehearse a new one.

Re: Frisbee routines

Willoway
Mikey wrote
Well remembered. Are we meant to infer the three routines following that little sequence are frisbees?

As Cherry exited in autumn '76 and was applying the word Frisbee to Pans People, strange no one seems to mention this word in the TOTP period itself, as far as I can see.
...is she really going out with him?

Re: Frisbee routines

VintageVideos
Willoway wrote
Well remembered. Are we meant to infer the three routines following that little sequence are frisbees?
Certainly not. Those three were performed on "The Two Ronnies" and served as examples of the more elaborate routines on other shows that Flick had just talked about.
Also, let's remember that the term 'frisbee' relates to a routine that was not performed.

Re: Frisbee routines

Dancer
I reckon You See The Trouble with me by Barry White was a Frisbee.  It was a dead cert that they dance to each of his hits previously but for some reason was left out.  I always thought it would be placed for the Xmas 1976 editions but alas no.