Quantcast

GAMES PEOPLE PLAY

PattiForPM
   Back to Lena's Music, part 2 this time, and a Joe South penned song given the Martell treatment this time.  An interesting choice, this crossover song has a hard edge as far as the somewhat vitriolic lyrics are concerned, describing the hypocrisy of how we treat each other.

 "They wile away the hours,in their Ivory Towers 'til they're covered up with Flowers in the back of a Black Limousine"

   Good for you Ms Martell.  Joe South apparently based this song on a book on Psychology by Dr Eric Berne so good for him too, reaching the 6 with such a ditty.  Mr South also won a Grammy for this and was quite a renowned songwriter and session guitarist counting among his credits the song "Rose Garden" by Lynn Anderson and playing guitar on Aretha Franklin's "Chain of Fools" and Bob Dylan's "Blonde on Blonde" album.  Obviously he had come some way from 1958 when he wrote his first hit song "Purple People Eater meets the Witch Doctor"

          GAMES PEOPLE PLAY   -   Lena Martell                                                   Aug 1st 1979

                   DANCERS:          David, Nick, Okon, Lulu, Patti, Rosie

               LINK:      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiIHtRY4bnI

   Interesting that Flick chose to represent this song with battling children but the Dancers have some fairly good slapstick moments and are entertaining for the most part although there isn't much true Dancing here.  The ladies look appealing and the chaps suitably puerile but I can't say this one holds my attention too well to be honest.  I have mentioned before that Patti's partner takes some considerable liberties and I would quite possibly have punched his lights out had I been on set.  We do at least seem to be shown more of the Dancers and less of Ms Martell here for once but the rendition of the song is really awful in my opinion and I can't mark this one more than 5.5/10 despite the Dancing ladies' best efforts. Please give me your interpretations friends

Re: GAMES PEOPLE PLAY

BeautifulBabs
Not more Lena

Re: GAMES PEOPLE PLAY

PattiForPM
LOL, sorry BB but I'm inside the last 10 RF TOTPs performances so please bear with me as I eke them out.  I hope you guys will still comment even if it's somewhat negative at times

Re: GAMES PEOPLE PLAY

BeautifulBabs
Yes ok the barrel is being scraped I understand sorry to any genuine Lena fans on here

Re: GAMES PEOPLE PLAY

Possibly the weakest offering from this cross-border expedition, although to be fair it isn't exactly easy material on which to base a routine.  That said the schoolyard byplay is convincing and well handled, as evidenced by the understandable punchy response of our thread leader, and the windmills work well, but overall this doesn't hit the spot so only a measly 4 for this one.

Re: GAMES PEOPLE PLAY

There's some kind of playground scene happening here, from what I can ascertain, in keeping with the Joe South track, being covered, rather badly, if I may add, by Lena Martell, heaps of jumping about, & face pulling, & the blokes giving the ladies lifts into the air, & I wonder what sort of games the squares on the ground were for.

Re: GAMES PEOPLE PLAY

Well ive seen worse and its at least entertaining. But what would be more entertaining is watching our mild mannered RFC host asking/telling David, or is it Nick to "watch were hes putting his hands" !

The girls look cute and i will give it a `6 out of 10`. I reckon these Lena clips may score better if played on mute.

Re: GAMES PEOPLE PLAY

PattiForPM
Thanks lads.  I know Lena doesn't command a huge following and her delivery doesn't really enhance the danceability of these tunes but I think the Dancers still deserve our attention.  Maybe there's someone out there just waiting to heap praise on this performance

Re: GAMES PEOPLE PLAY

PaulF
Sorry can't heap a load of praise on this what with those bad shorts and the lack of Sue , but a decent appearance of three of our girls is worth a 5/10.
Paul

Re: GAMES PEOPLE PLAY

VintageVideos
I think this is a very good composition, and I do like the original. Lena sings it MOR style, and she does it quite good in her own way, but this just isn't the way to sing this song. It needs the soulful rendition, sounding much too tame and overblown here. Well, Lena simply isn't a soulful singer, so she should have stayed away from this one.

The dance is ok, a bit too childish in parts, and nothing to knock my socks off. It's good to see three of our lovely ladies to enhance this otherwise rather tedious performance which could have kept me from zapping to the next channel had I ever seen the original show.

Sorry but 4/10 is all I can give.

Re: GAMES PEOPLE PLAY

PattiForPM
Thanks once again for these ratings; I know it takes a little more effort on these Lena songs.  I do agree that this is not a song well suited to Lena's style but I wonder if Flick was given free rein to design these Dances as she pleased or if the 'Lena team" dictated the kind of Dances permitted

Re: GAMES PEOPLE PLAY

BeautifulBabs
there was a 'Lena team' -it gets worse- who was in team Lena- Mary Whitehouse, minister for bad haircuts, chairman of brentford nylons, the composer of 'donald where's your trousers' ?

Re: GAMES PEOPLE PLAY

VintageVideos
Come on BB be nice and give a rating!

Re: GAMES PEOPLE PLAY

PattiForPM
My guess: there may be more dislikes than likes in this particular rating

Re: GAMES PEOPLE PLAY

Mikey
It feels like I'm watching the 5th form drama club putting on one of their 'plays' whilst the teacher sings along about something or other in the background, hopefully the home time bell will ring soon.

As its clearly Lena's show we only get to see about half of what is going on, which isn't much really, some goofy mucking about, and not much dancing but to be fair the lift and spin of the ladies is well delivered and possibly the only real highlight.

Re: GAMES PEOPLE PLAY

Colm
Reminds me a lot of "Lonely Boy", but without the same degree of fun.

Score: 5.5

Re: GAMES PEOPLE PLAY

Andeebee
Playground antics, lack of vision, annoying sow on vocals.....dancers (female) pleasant distraction

Re: GAMES PEOPLE PLAY

PattiForPM
Andeebee wrote
 annoying sow on vocals

5/10
Thanks again lads; appreciate your time.  LOL ADB, I think that may even be worse than anything I've said about Tina Charles

Re: GAMES PEOPLE PLAY

Andeebee
Tina is on FB if you wanna make up LOL

Re: GAMES PEOPLE PLAY