GET BACK (Ein Lied für Amsterdam) -- 16/02/1970

GET BACK (Ein Lied für Amsterdam) -- 16/02/1970

The Beatles Weeks, Part 2:

Get Back (Ein Lied für Amsterdam)
Performed by The Beatles and reaching number 1 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 16/02/1970 Duration of dance - 3.06 mins
Dancers: Andi, Babs, Dee Dee, Flick, Louise, Ruth
A link to the dance:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k4l7lUGujSkDuc53bqD

This week the 58th Eurovision Song Contest will be held in Malmö (Sweden). Thus it's appropriate that today's featured Pan's People routine is at least loosely connected with the ESC. So let's go back in time to the ESC 1970. No less than four countries had been declared winners in the ESC 1969: the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, France and Spain. Eventually, Amsterdam was chosen to host the 15th Eurovision Song Contest by the draw of lots.

"Ein Lied für Amsterdam" ("A Song for Amsterdam") was the German qualifying programme for the ESC, in which a jury of seven "experts" had to vote for their favourite out of six entries. Katja Ebstein with her song "Wunder gibt es immer wieder" received the most votes.

But the real highlight of the show was not Katja Ebstein (sorry Katja!). Between the votes, the German television viewers were treated with two Pan's People routines (note: German wikipedia calls them "Pams People" – ouch, so much for wikipedia credibility!). One of them was "Get Back", the second of the Beatles' songs featured this month on the Pan's People comments section. In the clip we can see the host Marie-Louise Steinbauer welcoming "unsere Gäste aus London, Pan's People, mit einem Tanz nach einer Melodie der Beatles, Get Back. Viel Vergnügen!"

The performance features Pan's People with a typical early 1970 dance – lots of synchronous dancing, in front of a (slightly) psychedelic background. A quick glance into the audience makes it perfectly clear that it consisted mostly of middle-aged men and women, hardly surprising given the nature of the show. This was no Beat Club or Top of the Pops!

It's certainly great that this early Pan's People performance is still available, and even in glorious colour. But no matter how often I watch it, I'm still not quite sure what to think of it. On the plus side, the dance seems to be rehearsed very well, I can't spot any obvious faults (umm, well almost). It's very colourful and the girls (especially Dee Dee) do their best to spread a positive mood. But somehow it looks very tame and reserved compared to some TOTP performances from the same time (they had danced to "I Want You Back" on TOTP just 4 days earlier). No doubt this is due to the fact that this show was aimed at a completely different audience. This isn't so much 'One for the Dads', it's more 'One for the Mums'!

Consequentially, my rating for this one will also be a reserved 7 out of 10.

As Dancer of the Day, I chose Dee Dee for her charming smiles.

Re: GET BACK (Ein Lied für Amsterdam) -- 1970

BeautifulBabs
I think this routine is similar to Green river in the moves just a bit slower with a lot less raunchy costumes.
Babs was stuck away in the back row again.

I do like the effect of the colours and I'm sure it went down well at the event but it will never be in my top ten.

Great it survived and would be great to get an even better copy.

Still classic pans and dotd Andy ( yes she does spell it that way on an autographed postcard on her)
7.5 from the east sussex jury.

Re: GET BACK (Ein Lied für Amsterdam) -- 1970

As expected for this time, a run-of-the-mill basic routine, not a lot to say about it, but the ladies' costumes have to be the brightest, most richest coloured that I've ever seen on them, they'd be very useful if they're out there walking home on a dark night, needing to cross busy roads, they'd easily be seen by on-coming traffic.

7/10

DotD:-

DeeDee

Re: GET BACK (Ein Lied für Amsterdam) -- 1970

Colourful and of its time this is fun to watch.  I love the belts and Louise in her very dark-haired guise looks smashing IMO.  Andi has another of her "I don't care, I think it's better this way" moments reminiscent of her Green River rehearsal adventure and I always like these aberrations, giving the Dance more human interest.  Not much is seen of Babs and Ruth gets a little camera time but not quite enough for me.  I've always loved this song and nice to see Pans geting the chance to Dance to it for our European friends.  Pity the Eurovision debacle itself wasn't graced by the Dancers to spice up the whole thing but thanks for the background info Vin.  Anyway I agree Dee Dee is the highlight and in her element here as DotD and I'll give the Dance 7.5/10 as it is not quite as good as the better TOTP Dances (although blows Both Sides Now out of the water!)

Re: GET BACK (Ein Lied für Amsterdam) -- 1970

BeautifulBabs wrote
Still classic pans and dotd Andy ( yes she does spell it that way on an autographed postcard on her)
Even their official pamphlet from 1969 says her name is "Andy". I wonder if I should change the spelling of her name in the table. During a quick search through my pictures and images, I never found the spelling "Andi", but several times "Andy".

Re: GET BACK (Ein Lied für Amsterdam) -- 1970

Andeebee
When I tag YT vids I call her Andy

Re: GET BACK (Ein Lied für Amsterdam) -- 1970

This whole thing reminds of a an women's fitness video, something like "Keep Fit With Dee Dee". I could imagine them dragging some of those politely applauding German people up on stage to have a go. To be honest it dosent do a lot for me, its bright and colouful with some nice close ups. The song of course gallops along and the girls keep up splendidly, but for some reason i think on these shows the dancers just go through the motions, a bit like keeping their best for TOTPs.

DOTD, `Louise` looks well sexy and gets my vote.

Rating, most folk are in the sevens, and i cant disagree, so its `7 out of 10` from me.

Post edited because i somehow used the word appalling instead of applauding when referring to German people. Vin please excuse my appalling use of English, sorry.

Re: GET BACK (Ein Lied für Amsterdam) -- 1970

The costumes Pan's are wearing here remind me of that picture taken on the TOTP set from around Easter 1970; with the browns, yellows and oranges. Was it ever confirmed what the song they danced to that week was? The common belief here and over there was "Spirit in the Sky".

"Get Back" is a great little routine too. My vote for DotD goes to the lovely Dee Dee and I mark it 7.5 out of 10.

Re: GET BACK (Ein Lied für Amsterdam) -- 1970

Ah, the pitfalls of the 'auto-complete' function.
Justin
LNV

Re: GET BACK (Ein Lied für Amsterdam) -- 1970

LNV
It had to happen and it has: Pans People “Swing their Pants.” Jez must be ecstatic over this one! Even as colourful as Pans’ are in their gaily hued tops and trousers the Routine is more pants than swing methinks, this energetic yet curiously inhibited performance lacks any real zest to it.  Did Pans select the clothing themselves, a hurried shopping expedition to the Biba boutique before taking the plane out to somewhere in West Germany. In the song Loretta is “wearing a low neck sweater”, if only it had been so. I notice a couple of buttons unloosed but hardly enough to make one get hot under one’s collar, for dancers they are far too over dressed; which is increasingly becoming my viewpoint when watching theses troupe dances.

5/10 The applause at the finish was appropriately politely lukewarm, a mid-range level of appreciation from the audience, neither in disapproval nor of enthusiastic support. “Danke fürs Kommen, um zu sehen uns Damen” they seem to say, but the dance was like one of your English late summer evenings, there is still plenty of colour to be seen but too temperate to make one become really heated up.

Re: GET BACK (Ein Lied für Amsterdam) -- 1970

Well Vin, you got me thinking what could be the link between a PP Beatles' routine and the German language last night, and no wonder I was stumped!  Good to see these obscurities surfacing though.

This is very much a period piece with the moves and hippyish hair swishing, the day-glo colours and flares. It's not a favourite era of female fashion of mine, so as they're essentially dancing on the same spot throughout it fails to maintain my interest like, for instance, RF's This Is It routine does. It seems to be more like a backing dance to me and I half expect someone like Mungo Jerry  - or perhaps Focus? - to walk out in front at any moment.  At least they refrain from pointing their fingers at the audience to 'get back'.  And looking at the audience I think many of them felt it was a case of One For The Youngsters, despite the relatively restrained scene before their eyes. I feel a bit mean only awarding 4.5 as I imagine they were just fulfilling the basic role that was expected of them. But there it is.

I think it has to be between the show-cased Louise and Dee Dee for DOTD. The former is alluring, but I give it to Dee Dee for her unaffected smiling throughout.

Re: GET BACK (Ein Lied für Amsterdam) -- 1970

Post edited because i somehow used the word appalling instead of applauding when referring to German people. Vin please excuse my appalling use of English, sorry.
It made me laugh Ryan, even though I thought it was shurely shome mistake. Three bonus points mate. Honestly though I will have to remember that as a good neologism, there really are occasionally people who are 'politely appalling'.

Re: GET BACK (Ein Lied für Amsterdam) -- 1970

Two even older Pan's People routines on German television have survived, alas just in B/W, those are from 1968's 'Beat Club' and include an introduction by DLT. I will feature them here some time later.

Re: GET BACK (Ein Lied für Amsterdam) -- 1970

Post edited because i somehow used the word appalling instead of applauding when referring to German people. Vin please excuse my appalling use of English, sorry.
No prob Ryan, I wasn't quite sure about the meaning of that word anyway and had been too lazy to look it up. I'm still in the process of learning all these words and expressions.

Re: GET BACK (Ein Lied für Amsterdam) -- 1970

Gorgeous Daze
You already know more words and phrases than at least 80% of the British population today. Honestly.

Re: GET BACK (Ein Lied für Amsterdam) -- 1970

Suefan
The vibrant colours that the ladies are wearing work well and although not ground breaking the dance routine is well pitched for the audience, although from their rather half-hearted applause it still might have been a bit too racy for them!    Either that or they were all dreaming of earlier days when their hips were also as supple as that!
As ever picking a DotD isn't easy but for leading from the front with her customary gusto I'll nominate Dee Dee this time and, as I'd have been clapping a darn sight harder than the onlookers, give it a solid 7.5.

Re: GET BACK (Ein Lied für Amsterdam) -- 1970

Who's That Hurll
An interesting break from the norm, with the Pans girls having a sortie abroad to perform on German TV.
We have plenty of arm rotations and hair shaking here, but the formation is too rigid in it's (lack of) movement.
There's a sweet assortment of colours to behold, but it's the girl in the brown top that stands out here. Dee Dee is desperate to be picked as Dancer of the Day and I will allow her that privilege.It's also worth noting how high Andy's belt is -  enough to make Simon Cowell green with envy!. 6.5/10.

Re: GET BACK (Ein Lied für Amsterdam) -- 1970

Old Bill
Nice intro VV - muchly appreciated by the semi-bilingualists amongst us :-)

But despite it being officially 1970, and in glorious technicolour, this dance has late 60s all over. But we all know the 70s didn't really start until about 1972.

The colours are great and the background too - i'm sure it fitted in nicely with the rest of the show. The dance frenetic and occasional slightly adrift with each other - which is always tricky in a fast synchronised dance. But I'm not crazy about it. Mr Hurll has it right when he says they're all a bit too rigid, and stuck on the spot.

6/10. and the DeeDee is great, as has been noted for her smiles, but my DotD is Louise. With the heavy eye-make up she just looks wonderful. I think the othe ESC dance might go down better.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: GET BACK (Ein Lied für Amsterdam) -- 1970

bucksby
Really interesting to see this never had a chance to view before. Nice gentle routine without being ground breaking if you know what I mean. The ladies look fab DOTD goes to Louise and the routine a 7 out of 10.

Re: GET BACK (Ein Lied für Amsterdam) -- 1970

Lookmacinanger
A nice distraction for 3 mins for our friends in Germany to enjoy during the break of the white heat of battle to get through to Eurovision 1970. As I think has been noted earlier a minimal amount of foot movement during this routine but this is more than matched by vigorous arm gestures. 7/10.
Dotd, Dee Dee for getting away with a brown and pink ensemble
12