GET TOGETHER

PattiforPM
   (Let’s) Get Together is performed by the marginally versatile Lena Martell here.  This song seems to have quite a history and is something of a peacenik anthem.  It was written by a Chester William Powers (later Chet Powers and still later Dino Valenti) in the early 1960s and he sold the song rights to the manager of the Kinston Trio when poor Chet fell foul of the fiasco that makes Marijuana illegal.  The KT then released the song in 1964 to no avail and it was later released by the Youngbloods first in 1967 to no better avail until finally it was re-released in 1969 and reached #5 after being used by the National Conference of Christians and Jews on TV and Radio to promote “Brotherhood Week” in the US (the Muslims, Buddhists and Zoroastrians got a bye to the Semifinals).  It also gained some ground at Woodstock where the story goes that some young female hippy had it playing on the roof of her vehicle all along the road to the concert-ground/muddy field.  Somewhere along the way this song has apparently been recorded and/or performed by Judy Collins, Nick Drake, David Crosby, Jefferson Airplane and most notably in the UK by the Dave Clark Five as “Everybody Get Together” their last Top Ten Single in 1970, shown here in epic form:

                     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvVkMWzamek

   Even Nirvana sang the chorus in Territorial Pissings on Nevermind I am told.  Finally, here’s a chance to get in touch with your inner Hippy with some great footage of the time and Joni Mitchell performing the song with members of the Byrds at the Big Sur Celebration in 1969:

                       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62mAYkHrM2Y

                GET TOGETHER   -   Lena Martell                                       Aug 8th 1979

                                DANCERS:     Lulu, Patti, Rosie, David, Nick , Okon

                        LINK:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhSjVErDDGA

   Well this was the last RF performance on Lena’s Music and it’s the last of my offerings from her Show too.  It’s not my favourite although you’d think that Patti as a Harem Member, Rosie in a Cowgirl miniskirt and Lulu in slit silky Far Eastern attire would be highly promising.  The lighting here and the lack of any close focus on the ladies is highly irritating to me and whoever thought that a bright light for the slightly frumpy Singer and relative twilight for the lithe and delectable Dancers was good idea should have been covering Disco Bowling instead.  For me this only gets 4/10 and it could have been much better although it would never have been a 10.  I wait with nervous anticipation for your verdicts my friends…

Re: GET TOGETHER

Suefan
This isn't my favourite clip from these shows as the block that Lena has been asked to stand on obscures half of the dancers half of the time, and the poor lighting does for the rest.  Possibly a boon when considered in terms of what the lads appear to be wearing, but a bane with regard to the ladies.  I wonder if that is the same red dress that Lulu found a further use for when Video Entertaining?  On the plus side Lena looks lovely in her white outfit so I'm giving this a 7.

Re: GET TOGETHER

Great to have this clip and the others from the LM show for the sake of posterity, but i really cant hack the womans depressing singing style. So much so i had to play the clip on mute for the final couple of minutes.

We dont really get great views of our dancers, and the setting is dark. Just `2 out of 10`.

Pass me the Prozac's

Re: GET TOGETHER

There's not much that I can say here about the highlights, apart from the interesting concept of Lena Martell, being portrayed as some kind of messiah, the way that she stands atop of a raises platform, with the dancers, waving their arms at her from down below, & shrouded in a monochromatic Amber twilight, whitest Lena's dress reflects a bright white light. But at least the dancers are pretty much in camera shot, throughout the performance.

Re: GET TOGETHER

VintageVideos
This is the kind of song that suits Lena much better than some of the previously seen stuff (e.g. In The Ghetto or Games People Play). She sings it quite well, even with a fair amount of emotion, which I find appealing. On the other hand, it's not a great song to dance to and our troupe is clearly playing just a supporting role in this performance.
All in all, it's not qualified for repeated viewing but we've seen worse of Lena and the Flippering Rubies.

5 / 10

Re: GET TOGETHER

PattiforPM
Thanks for your comments.  There seems to be general agreement that the dancers deserved better lighting here and that a disco version of this song might have worked better (just kidding I think!) but I'd sure like to hear from a few others before I make my mind up

Re: GET TOGETHER

Gorgeous Daze
Lena has certainly got about a bit for a middle of the road entertainer. She's visited the ghetto, seen the future, and now as she comes to the end of the road for our purposes she tops it all by becoming a Marian vision lit up in white uniting people of the world beneath her feet. Her work is truly complete. No wait! She still needs a Number 1 hit.

All too corny for me this time; pretty dire stuff with Lena's children in the gloaming light, arms raised in divine harmony. Lulu and Rosie got nice costumes but I'm not mifted to be denied a clear view of Patti as Ali Barbara. I don't like the song and I've got no more admiration than Ryan for Lena's singing style. This lacks vitality, as with Lena's sign-off it's one for the Radio 4 and cocoa brigade. Here's a Force 10 blowing in north west over Dogger - 2/10

Re: GET TOGETHER

Andeebee
Another review of that Lena woman.....I'll keep this one short and sweet.

The dancers fabulous (albeit too dark) but not the frumpy singer in the chiffon number.

2/10 and that was generous

Re: GET TOGETHER

Mikey
Well Lena seems more comfortable with this particular song, but it still feels like shes singing to a congregation of some progressive church, and being lit up like an angel on a plinth is a bit OTT to say the least. Again a minimal 'supporting' role for Ruby Flipper basically moving around Lena like she was some kind of deity and waving their arms around, its vaguely reminicent of Tubular Bells but without the outdoor setting and free spirit that evoked. A 4/10 at best sadly.

Re: GET TOGETHER

PattiforPM
Thanks again lads.  This one's not going to top the league table but even the bottom-feeders need love and attention and this one still needs a couple more marks to enter the arena.  Come on folks, I'm begging.....

Re: GET TOGETHER

Old Grey Whistler
This is far from being the worst offering that Lena has given us but it is still not very good. Nothing very demanding for the dancers to do, just a nice easy pay cheque really. If the dancers had been illuminated as much as the singer has been, I might have scored it a point or two higher than the 4 out of 10 that I am giving it.

Re: GET TOGETHER

PattiforPM
Cheers OGW.  I agree this is stronger than one or two of the other offerings from Lena's Music.   9 brave souls have ventured an opinion now but there just has to be a tenth person wanting to join this exclusive club.  After all this is your last chance to support the deserving Ms Martell on this Thread (the disappointment at this realisation is almost, but not quite, palpable!)  All right, if you won't do it for Lena then do it for Lulu, Rosie and Patti

Re: GET TOGETHER

It's pretty awful as a song and a dance routine.I can't think of anything positive to say about either.The worst thing is the clear focus solely on Lena in a creepy messianic way bathed in white light whilst the badly lit dancers are reduced to being faceless followers.I'm off to watch the joy of 'If My Friends Could See Me Now' by Hot Gossip.

Re: GET TOGETHER

Suefan
Probably the focus was on Lena as it was the Lena Martell show, a show that was regularly watched by over 12.5 million viewers.

Re: GET TOGETHER

Colm
Lulu looks so cute in that red Chinese dress. And that's all I have to say.

Score: 5

Re: GET TOGETHER

PattiforPM
Thanks SuPaLu and Colm and yes SF you do have a point as Lena was the franchise player here.  Get Together finally joins the Charts and for that too I am grateful

Re: GET TOGETHER

Old Bill
Sigh. While Lena might have hoisted herself up on a well-lit pedestal, RF didn't go out on a high did they?
For the best part of 2 minutes their shuffling round in the dark worshiping and paying homage to the queen of the Warbling Songbirds. Or perhaps this was actually prelude to her being sacrificed to appease the gods of light and sound??

Not much dancing goes on, no close-ups. Almost a waste of time putting everyone in fancy outfits. It's like everyone has given up - but of course it's a dreary pig of a song to groove to.

2/10.

Bye bye and thanks Flippers. And thanks Patti4PM!

Ruby is the gone.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: GET TOGETHER

VintageVideos
Old Bill wrote
Ooh Earth & Fire, great band. And Jerney (the lead singer) was a babe. Saw them live in my hometown back in 73.

Re: GET TOGETHER

Old Bill
You lucky chappy! I would've loved to seen them... but this could also go for any number of fine 70s Nederpop bands.

Jerney was lovely, but for Dutch popstrels it's dear old Mariska Veres that always did my blood pressure no good!
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: GET TOGETHER

Lookmacinanger
Ruby Flipper V2 end of term assembly gathers for Lena’s final address. Some of the dress code may need explaining (I’m sure there is a message in there somewhere) but I fully appreciated Lulu efforts for her last dance. Well Lena, that’s that please let those three girls borrowed from Legs and Co. go back to their mates and we’ll all take it one day at a time sweet, well you know the rest of it….. 4/10.

With thanks to P4PM, for archiving one of 1979 nearly forgotten legacy of dances.