GETTING READY FOR LOVE -- [December]

GETTING READY FOR LOVE Dance number 74 by Legs & Co
Performed by Diana Ross and reaching number 23 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 01/12/77 Duration of dance --  2.01 mins
Dancers --  Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Pauline 70            Gill 67
Lulu 69                Patti 67
Rosie 68              Sue 67
A link to the dance
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x24u6t1_legs-co-getting-ready-for-love-totp-tx-01-12-1977_creation

This ones okay, nothing special though. For me the split screen effect in this routine doesn't work. The shot of the 6 girls dancing is just to distant to really appreciate them. A better split would have been two different dancers on each side of the screen, buts that just my opinion. Its one of those `removing` clothing routines, there's a few of those, we should name them. I must say Sue looked quite delicious in this and the song was pretty good, the choreography suited it well. But i feel i cant muster up more then 6.75 out of 10 for it.

Re: GETTING READY FOR LOVE -- 1977

PattiForPM
I'm just about in line with you on this one Ryan.  The ladies look lovely and as you mention the divesting of garments proceeds with aplomb.  Nevertheless I find this one of Diva Diana's weaker efforts and the performance doesn't quite catch on fire either.  Not sure if it's the set with tables squeezed a little too much or the split screen or the outfits which I find a little unflattering for some reason beyond my meagre ability to describe.  In any case I think 5.5/10 is the mark for this one for me as I rarely choose this from the wide-ranging menu available to us.

Re: GETTING READY FOR LOVE -- 1977

Andeebee
not my favourite at all, I have digested this one over at the YT channel, I agree with P4PM, a measly 5
Hopelessly Devoted to Sue

LNV

Re: GETTING READY FOR LOVE -- 1977

LNV
I am surprised that some of you have given this a low rating. ‘Getting Ready for Love’ is a Routine I have watched and liked for some time. Rosie starts off the dance number with her bright smile, which when she does so lights up her whole face wonderfully. I recall SEcf saying something to similar effect that when Rosie smiles her thoughtful facial expression is suddenly swept away, like the sun breaking through the clouds.
     Rosie has a fine physique here, outclassing the others in my view. In superb shape and looks so kissable too, for this very reason maybe? Rosie has such slender legs with no hint at all of those latter days oak-thighs as seen in ‘Hands Up’.
     When Lulu smiles to camera it is always one of her finest moments, she makes my knees buckle with its sweet saucy twinkle! A classic Lulu moment in the Routine, as she is noticeably mouthing the words to the song here. When Lulu disrobes behind Patti she is clearly saying the words to the song, so out in the open for all to see…it isn’t a singing competition Luv!
     Sue’s hair looks reddish to me, could be my aged eyes are not as sharp as once was. Is that due to the lighting or was it so tinted for this occasion? Often wondered if a redhead would have been a positive contribution for the Troupe. Say Karen Gillan as a dancer in Legs & Co. At no time did any dancer in PP/RF/L&C have a Titian-haired look?

Re: GETTING READY FOR LOVE -- 1977

I'm going to be a little more generous and give this one a 7.  I like the way Flick has choreographed the use of the tables and chairs but undeniably the set looks rather clumsy.  Would perhaps three shared tables have looked and worked better?

Re: GETTING READY FOR LOVE -- 1977

Paperboyplod
Making good usage of stage props again, so I see, let's just hope that there were no wobbly legs on that furniture, the 'dancing' mainly takes the form of sitting in the chairs, swinging legs around. rather like Kenny Everett's Cupid Stunt charactor, with some split-screen action. The girls costumes, yet again have stylish looks about them, Getting Ready For Love is another Legs & Co. piece of sheer class.

Re: GETTING READY FOR LOVE -- 1977

Andeebee
maybe the set was made for Mary of The 4th form, but as The Rats appeared maybe last minute change (clutching here fellas)

Re: GETTING READY FOR LOVE -- 1977

Hmm, im off to check out a certain dancers oak-thighs, funny how things dont get noticed.

I shall be unsheathing my sword in defence of said thighs, which are slender like willow

Re: GETTING READY FOR LOVE -- 1977

Andeebee
I really hope that's not a euphemism P4PM....

In defense of said Legs legs, take Sue (sorry Sue) she started off slender toned, and by Legs had the most remarkable sexiest pins out of all the girls.....

No that would be my penknife ADB

Re: GETTING READY FOR LOVE -- 1977

Andeebee
don't you love a bragger P4PM

Re: GETTING READY FOR LOVE -- 1977

bucksby
I do like the song but agree that the set isn't fantastic and looks a bit cheap (well it is the BBC) the girls do ok so I will say a 7

Re: GETTING READY FOR LOVE -- 1977

Discounting wigs wholly red or gules-tinted: those 1970 PP Afro wigs, "Something Else", "Don't Stop the Music"; no dancers in the Pan's People, Ruby Flipper or Legs and Co ever had red hair.

Of course, there were redheads in Zoo, but no-one cares about them except me and Bucksby...

I like in this routine how Lulu's miming the words act is also taken up by Patti and Pauline.

Re: GETTING READY FOR LOVE -- 1977

Although I can't recall which dance, in the first incarnation of Pans there was certainly one instance when all six girls wore red wigs.  However, such was the exception and, certainly in the early days of the troupe, Flick used the three blonde/three dark haired split as an element in her choreography.  The most obvious use of this juxtaposition I can think of being the "Mr Sippi" routine on one of Lulu's shows but it did feature in some of her work for TOTP as well.

Re: GETTING READY FOR LOVE -- 1977

Old Bill
I can't anything but the most lovely legs here! But agree with Ryan about the split screen - interesting use of a copper pipe though!

This one is ok - jaunty if little bit annoying song and a jolly dance. Although I can figure if right at the start when they take their legs off the desks if Paula and Rosie and horribly out of sync, or if the back row & front row were different or if the desk-leg-removal was cascaded along all 6 of them. A wide would've been nice here!

Anyways, perfectly good fare this one! 7/10 (i wonder if the irritating song is causing people to mark it down?)
Jeremiah 31:13
Stu

Re: GETTING READY FOR LOVE -- 1977

Stu
I'm not keen on the song, although I'd guess Lulu would disagree, cutely singing away to it most of the way through. Liked the routine although unspectacular. As Alan Partridge would say 'lovely stuff'.

7.5/10

Stuey

Re: GETTING READY FOR LOVE -- 1977

VintageVideos
I really like the routine, but I don't like those split screens, so it's only 8 / 10 from me.

Re: GETTING READY FOR LOVE -- 1977

Doc
I quite like this one. Not sure about the relevance of the table, but who cares I'm giving it a 9.

Re: GETTING READY FOR LOVE -- 1977

PaulF
Don't like the split screen but do enjoy the singalongalulu performances 8/10. I wonder if Flick approved of the dancers singing along?
Paul
12