GETTING READY FOR LOVE -- [December]

Re: GETTING READY FOR LOVE -- 1977

Adorable Gillusion
5.5/10

Re: GETTING READY FOR LOVE -- 1977

Old Grey Whistler
I have to confess to not being very familiar with this routine. Whether that is because it wasn't shown on BBC4 I don't know, but it seems to have passed me by. It's quite a good performance although at times the girls don't seem to be totally in sync. Any performance where the girls start disrobing is bound to have some appeal, but it isn't a classic so will score it 8 out of 10

Re: GETTING READY FOR LOVE -- 1977

Angie
An 'ok' tune.......again Flick and the girls do great! I too am not over keen on the split screen.

6.5/10

Re: GETTING READY FOR LOVE -- 1977

Lookmacinanger
Is this is concept is based around an off limits office romance? Mind all inhibitions went out the window towards the end with firstly the undressing and then the table dancing and that was just for starters! All good fun 7/10

Re: GETTING READY FOR LOVE -- 1977

Colm
I've already commented on what I like most in this routine (all that singing along)... so just a score to tie up loose ends

Re: GETTING READY FOR LOVE -- 1977

Who's That Hurll
I voted for this as my favourite in the December 77 poll and nothing has changed.
'Getting Ready For Love' is a splendid routine, where the girls utilise the white furniture to full effect.
I like the use of lighting here and the stars sparkling above give this a 'Broadway' feel.
Rose's luscious long legs are well designed for table sliding and she will be my DOTD.
9/10.

Re: GETTING READY FOR LOVE -- 1977

Mikey
A nice gentle cabaret style routine here (i.e. more chair based dancing), and using tables as an additional platform is a nice bonus. Whilst the dancing is limited, the presentation is eye catching, each of the ladies adorned with a different coloured dress, the lower half of which is discarded half way through. The split screen of a close up and a very distant view is unusual and probably a bit unnecessary, but it does give a good view of the dress chucking moment. The phones seem a bit pointless, other than the reference in the song, perhaps they could have made more use of them.

A good routine but i'm not all that enthusiastic about the song particularly the cheesy ending, so er 7/10

Re: GETTING READY FOR LOVE -- [December]

We have the ladies each sitting on a chairs next to six large tables at the start of the routine. The ladies are wearing white leotard with a removable dresses. Also we get a split screen effect on this routine. This shows use a close up and a long shot of our ladies dancing on the tables. When doing a nice tap routine on the tables. Another good routine for our ladies. So this is going to have a middling score by me.

The score will be 7 out of 10.

Re: GETTING READY FOR LOVE -- [December]

I'm not a fan of sitting/lying down routines.6/10

Re: GETTING READY FOR LOVE -- [December]

This is a routine that i must confess to never watching, as neither the song or the performance really do anything for me. I also think that rather than it seeming like a TOTP's routine, it reminds me more of the kind of thing you got on Saturday evening variety shows in the seventies, when at some point during the programme a group of dancers would be given a spot, possibly because as someone already mentioned, the performance has a bit of a cabaret feel to it. Having said all of that, the girls look great in the close up's we get, Lulu is in top form with her singing, and we get to see them disrobe too!

Rating 5/10

DOTD for that opening shot has to be Rosie

Re: GETTING READY FOR LOVE -- [December]

The Rubberband Man
It’s Legs & Co table dancing, and there’s even a one item of clothing strip tease to go with it.
It seems Flick has based the dance sequence almost entirely on the first line of the song.
I’m not sure the split screen adds anything, especially with the left-hand side camera position being so far away from the action – you can see the spot lights better than the dancers.
Lulu’s singalong is really the only highlight in this for me.

6/10
DOTD: Lulu - but please check your line as I’ve been calling you all day and I can’t get through!

Re: GETTING READY FOR LOVE -- [December]

Gorgeous Daze
Mock despair makes for cute early doors to this, but I'm glad these good little ladies aren't sat waiting literally for by those classless seventies phones for Baby to ring for long, there's good development. A bit of stripping invariably goes down well, more so when it's cheekily chimed with getting ready for love and Patti's at the forefront! The twinkling set and all that leg swinging sits well with the American show-tunesque song, and a table's as good as a crescent and certainly more practical. In those heels it's betwixt table, chair and floor where an accident's waiting to happen, but happily the skilled sextet avoid it and from horizontal through to vertical put in a very smooth and entertaining workout.

The camerawork is fine but the drawback is when they're engaged in playing both races in their very own Land Of The Giants. As micro inhabitants left-screen half the space is wasted so even in their liberation I can't support the underdogs sadly. It's also a little on the short side in duration. I'll go 8/10

Re: GETTING READY FOR LOVE -- [December]

brandonb
8/10 DOTD: Rosie

I like this routine. It's not the best Diana Ross song but it's ok. When I read about the split screen criticisms it puzzled me as I've never really noticed them that much apart from being aware there were some. On watching again I think the reason is because I ignore the distant one and concentrate on the close up - and so that does make the split screen pointless as we may as well have had a full screen close up instead. As Ryan says it might have been better to have two close ups in the split screens. However, without VCR's and video technology and thinking one might only ever see it once it might have become a bit of a panic as to which side you should be watching! :) I'm guessing the idea was to show the whole routine overall in the long shot side of the split screen - but it does make it a bit small... Anyhow for me it's not that important as I just focus on the close up. I like the costumes - I don't really understand the tables but don't feel I need to - they work ok as props and I think the routine looks good. DOTD for me was between Rosie and Patti - but since I've had a run on Patti I think Rosie this time.

Re: GETTING READY FOR LOVE -- [December]

Everything'sRosie
Not a routine I re-visit that much, not helped by a rather weak Diana Ross number. Having said that, our lovelorn ladies provide some nice moments here. Patti even sings a couple of words when in the same frame as repeat offender Lulu. The outfits are rather saucy too in keeping with the song's theme, even more so when the lower part is removed. Eat your hearts out, Bucks Fizz!

A routine which utilised the split-screen facility, though why they bother I don't know as obviously all eyes will inevitably fall on the close-up. So, a decent routine on the whole, though a little flat compared to the classic the week before, and what was in the pipeline for the coming weeks.

Marks: 7/10
DotD: Rosie

Re: GETTING READY FOR LOVE -- [December]

Very basic routine, but Legs are looking gorgeous in this routine. Maybe if it had more action it could have been something amazing.

Rating: 5/10
DOTD: Rosie