GLASTONBURY

rod

GLASTONBURY

rod
Managed to catch some of Glastonbury acts yesterday, Janet Jackson did a set not quite as good as younger days the professionalism was still there Respect to her and dancers they never stopped for at least 30 minutes ,also paid tribute to her brother Michael doing some of his routine Finished the set with rythem nation. Headliner Kylie performed her standard songs, but also included some new ones (I think ) she really got the crowd going (what a crowd I have never seen so many people at a gig) it was nice to see people enjoying themselves in the sunshine (wish I could have gone)again respect to the band and dancers. I was hoping Kylie would put on her gold hot pants when she sang Spinning around that would have made a older man very happy. A lot of bands were more for the younger generation although I still liked them Try as I may I still cannot get my head round RAP MUSIC my Grandaugter loves it I am beginning to thing  what Frank Zappa said is true (Rap is made by people with no talent, for people with no taste) I am a different generation   KEEP THE FAITH.

Re: GLASTONBURY

Gorgeous Daze
I caught bits and pieces of Glastonbury and little appealed. I did enjoy The Cure, an atmospheric performance which worked in harmony with the fading light and Tor as backdrop.

In mentioning rap I assume you chiefly have 'Mr Stormzy' in mind. A frankly vile carry on, in front of a sea of awestruck millennial faces lobotomized by liberalism.
Steve
rod

Re: GLASTONBURY

rod
Hello Gorgeous Daze, your very good with words Daze I wish I had the same vocabulary I don't now if you are male or female with a name like Daze being a newbie not that it matters. I am glad that someone is of the same frame of mind as myself. its a shame when you cannot hear the lyrics, words can mean an lot in a song along with wonderful music, love Bob Marley and his lyrics along with the Bee Gees magic        Keep The Faith

Re: GLASTONBURY

Gorgeous Daze
Definitely male Rod!

Gorgeous Daze is a more interesting rendering of Gorgeous Days, referring to those halcyon years when our screens were lit with those beautiful belles who we celebrate here.

Re: GLASTONBURY

I used to go to Glastonbury (last time was in 2000) but little appeals to me now. There just aren't the acts anymore. I watched quite a bit of it last year on TV and thought Radiohead were excellent. I'm far too curmudgeonly for all the preachy nonsense now. I even stayed past the weekend once to help with the clear-up. It was a heart-breaking sight to see the rubbish just thrown on the ground by the spoiled middle-class brats who make up the vast majority of the festival-goers. I hope Sir David pricked a few consciences this year, but I doubt it.

As for "Stormzy" (the very name sounds like a drug dealer) his message appeared to be about breaking down barriers. Said with no apparent irony from inside a compound protected by 8 foot high fences erected to keep out all those not prepared (or without the funds) to pay the £270 entrance fee.

Sorry to be so downbeat. I'm a happy soul really

Re: GLASTONBURY

Gorgeous Daze
Everything'sRosie wrote
As for "Stormzy" (the very name sounds like a drug dealer) his message appeared to be about breaking down barriers. Said with no apparent irony from inside a compound protected by 8 foot high fences erected to keep out all those not prepared (or without the funds) to pay the £270 entrance fee.
Could also serve as a metaphor for the gentrified standard of lifestyle which I believe this 'voice of Gangland' leads.

Re: GLASTONBURY

Everything'sRosie
I believe he used to hold some executive position before going all "street". Interesting that rappers often cite they are merely reflecting the environment they come from when defending the aggression in their "music". Right.

Re: GLASTONBURY

Dancer
I never watched any of this show this year.  From postings on my FB Janet Jackson apparently was very poor.  I am not a fan of Kylie and that is why I did not watch it but out of them all I would have liked to have seen the Killers as that lead vocalist is so dishy and also would have liked to see Bjorn Again.

The main reason why people were complaining about Janet Jackson was that she was using backing tracks as was Kylie and people felt they were miming.

Re: GLASTONBURY

Old Grey Whistler
I didn't see any of it but the only acts of any interest to me would have been Kylie and possibly George Ezra.
I don't think I am sufficiently left wing to appreciate Glastonbury.

Re: GLASTONBURY

Hanway2
 Has anyone seen the film Glastonbury Fayre, a record of the 1971 festival? That is the sort of concert I would go to, even if they would now throw me out as being an old duffer. Whereas the modern ones are far too corporate for me, and very uninviting.
 One great highlight for me from the '71 affair is Melanie singing 'Peace Will Come' in front of a crowd of adoring hippies.
 Which ties in with the header for 'River Deep, Mountain High' the other day, which was shown, on 1st July 1971, about a week after that year's Glastonbury. What a summer!!

Re: GLASTONBURY

Arlo
Here we have the ongoing saga of Woodstock 50.  Michael Lang who organized the original festival, is involved in with the fiftieth anniversary festival.  Early in June it appeared that it wouldn't happen, but as of now it's back.

https://www.woodstock.com/

Re: GLASTONBURY

For once OGW, im completely on your level.

It just shows how the so-called festival has descended when the main talking point from it appears to be some Rap moron swearing and encouraging the assembled gathering to do so as well. Really, is that how it goes down these days with the ultra-left. To make matters worse the laughable, so called impartial BBC (ha) are wetting themselves promoting the fact.

Anyhow, im getting close to breaking my no politics talk on here so i will shut-up. But for those who enjoyed the show then good for you.

Re: GLASTONBURY

  That is a very intriguing line up for Woodstock 50. With some artists who were there at the original festival 50 years ago- Country Joe McDonald, Santana and Melanie, who made a habit of playing at these early events, Woodstock, Glastonbury and Isle of Wight for sure.
  Have you got your tickets, Arlo? I wonder how much they are? Not that I can go, more's the pity.

Re: GLASTONBURY

Everything'sRosie
Agreed, it looks a better line-up than Glastonbury. Nice to see Melanie is appearing. But since when did Miley Cyrus appear higher up the bill than Robert Plant (and Santana for that matter)?

Re: GLASTONBURY

Gorgeous Daze
And what are The Zombies doing in Division Four with the tuneless attention seekers Pussy Riot?

Re: GLASTONBURY

Arlo
Aside from chaperoning my teenage daughter and friends to one a few years back,  I haven't been to an outdoor festival since the eighties.

I am curious how many and who attends this, as they have a real variety of performers.  I would be interested in seeing Gary Clark Jr., Margo Price, and Portugal. The Man in addition to the 1969 veterans.