GOT TO GIVE IT UP (2nd version) -- [June]

GOT TO GIVE IT UP (2nd version) -- [June]

GOT TO GIVE IT UP (2nd version) Dance number 42 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Marvin Gaye and reaching No 7 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 02/06/77 Duration of dance 2.35 mins
Dancers --Gill,Lulu,Patti,Pauline,Rosie,Sue.

Pauline 40                       Lulu 39
Rosie 40                          Gill 38
Sue 40                            Patti 35
Something to look out for--Did Patti get lost in the dark 2.29 mins into this one, if you go by the minute counter on the blog.
A link to the dance-http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26cyf9_legs-co-got-to-give-it-up-part-1-version-2-totp-tx-02-06-1977_creation

Well this has it all, six sexy sirens all decked out in their best beach wear. Nice long camera shots so we can view their shapely forms. Provocative, quite stimulating dancing to quite a melodic and hypnotic song. But hold on, once again Flick decides to throw a spanner in the works and tease us with those bloody lights once again. I guess i can see what she wanted to achieve, but it leaves the viewer frustrated once again.
  Still, at least we get some decent shots of the girls. My girl Sue looks totally on form in this one i must say, im sure you will all agree on that. I have no doubt that if this wasn't `light affected` this would be in my all time top five. But the illuminations put pay to that. I would have awarded it a maximum, but because of the lighting, its a 9 out of 10 from me.

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Swim wear) -- 1977

PattiForPM
How can I not give a routine containing our beautiful dancers in swimwear cavorting on stage to a undeniably sexy tune top marks I hear you ask?  Well I love the other GTGIU version and I have said Patti is smoking in that one but this one seems to have her instructed to tone it down a little to me and Ryan is right, she even suffers rare amnesia shortly after the two minute mark and this reflects her lesser involvement in this one I think.  Sue is indeed the star here for me and really dancing with gusto but those flashing lights are a distraction and somehow this routine disappoints despite all its promise IMHO.  Having said that I could pause this routine and stare and retire happily but there are other dances where I want to press the play button repeatedly instead so I'm only able to give this one 6/10.

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Swim wear) -- 1977

Suefan
Let down by the lighting but Sue looks like a million dollars, so evocative of those glamorous stars of the 50's and that bathing suit is a winner anytime anyplace.  From Here To Eternity, you betcha!

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Swim wear) -- 1977

Paperboyplod
This is another of those routines where they've gone for fancy effects with the lighting, in this case, at least every other dancer is plunged into darkness the whole time, by now you should be able to tell that I don't particularly like darkness in these routines where I can't see the ladies clearly, but when I can in this routine, they look pretty hot in these rather diminutive costumes, with heaps of flesh on display, & the dancing's pretty raunchy as well!

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Swim wear) -- 1977

Andeebee
I have no words for this - everytime I watch (on slo mo on the Virgin box - sad I know) my jaw hits the floor - Sue on this is so damn beautiful.......
Hopelessly Devoted to Sue

Stu

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Swim wear) -- 1977

Stu
This is just one of the sexiest performances for me. The mirrors and flash lighting add to all this to make it one of the more memorable ones that definitely gets put in the 'play again soon' pile.

9/10

Stuey

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Swim wear) -- 1977

Its hard to believe only 4 members have left ratings for this dance !

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Swim wear) -- 1977

Andeebee
oh no vote from me - ok 10 for this routine (for the above reason)

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Swim wear) -- 1977

VintageVideos
The song isn't exactly my favourite Marvin Gaye record though it has become a classic, no doubt. The lighting needs getting used to but has a very sensual effect. Not a top routine for me but a good one, so it's 8 out of 10.

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Swim wear) -- 1977

Old Bill
I thought I'd voted on this on already.... is there another similar version? So I'll be brief.

Noel's fun-poking intro is very familiar - and as for the lights, they're unforgettable... for the wrong reasons!

The girls look fantastic in their cozzies, but to be honest even without the lights I wouldn't be crazy about this dance.
It's an irritating song that reminds me of a child bashing away on pots and pans.

For me without the lights it might scrape a 7, but the irritating effect of them knocks it down to a 5/10 I'm afraid. Flick needs to give the lights up!
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Swim wear) -- 1977

Adorable Gillusion
This post was updated on .
I might be in the minority on this one, but I really like the flashing lights to this routine. Each girl gets time in the spotlight, which leaves you wanting to see more...( maybe a little more than we should lol) I know most people probably find this frustrating, but I think it's a great idea by Flick just to tease us a little bit  Got to agree with Ryan that one of the best things about this routine is the long camera shots allowing us to take in the lovely figures of the dancers....absolutely stunning. The dancing itself isn't much to write home about, but it certainly makes this one of the sexiest routines they ever did. 8/10 for this one.

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Swim wear) -- 1977

Doc
A frustrating routine and not to be watched if you suffer from epilectic fits. The lighting idea could have worked had it not been quite so extreme. Not too bad though, so I'll give it an 8.

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Swim wear) -- 1977

Who's That Hurll

We were in an experimental lighting phase when the second performance of 'Got to Give it Up' turned up.I think the flashing lights suit the disco sound of the song, but sometimes you wish they'd slow down so we can enjoy those aquatic party girls.
I'm still not keen on the syrupy vocals, so it's 6.5/10 and DOTD Sue, for looking like she'd had her swimsuit specially designed for herself.

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Swim wear) -- 1977

Suefan
If only the power hadn't kept failing this would have been a maximum, but even so it still gets a 9 from me with Sue, looking a million dollars, as my Dotd.

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Swim wear) -- 1977

Old Grey Whistler
This is the 2nd performance to this song which is quite unusual in itself. It is also noticeably longer than the first version.
I don't mind the flashing lights. They are not severe as was the case with 'Disco Inferno'  and they give off quite an artistic feel with the girls silhouetted. The long shots are good as well, and the girls look great in their swimwear. I prefer this to the original, but it still falls short of being a classic so will give it 8 out of 10.

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Swim wear) -- 1977

Colm
I have an appreciation for the way this is staged, and for me, this is the more interesting of the two "Got to Give It Up" routines: tantalising glimpses of the girls (especially on-fire Sue, although IMO Gill and Pauline are a bit marginalised) who appear to flash in different poses.

And they still look better than those poor women in the "Blurred Lines" video.

Score: 8.5 (would have been more if it was a tad more inclusive)

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Swim wear) -- 1977

Angie
Yes, really like this......love the lighting along with the girls striking a pose!

8.5/10

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Swim wear) -- 1977

Lookmacinanger
This post was updated on .
Got To Give It Up keeps very select company as one of the few to have second routine from Legs and Co and it was certainly worth that effort. I applaud the use of a stage and flashing lights as the way this dance is performed works perfectly with hypnotic beat of the track. 10/10

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Swim wear) -- 1977

Mikey
Got to give it up (part 2, the swimwear edition), is such a tease, the lights being cleverly synchronised to only be on each dancer for a split second. This version is clearly one of the raunchier dances to grace 1977 with some nice colour coordinated swimwear and sexy dancing to boot. I like the staging, all out in a line, and it seems like each lady gets a fair share of camera time. The lighting may be a bit much to some, but i think its used to good effect here, and its interesting to try and spot each dancer briefly before they are disappearing again. 8/10

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Flashing lights) -- [June]

A very good routine.I like the lighting as it adds to the atmosphere.The dancing is good as are the costumes.9/10