GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- [May]

GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- [May]

GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) Dance number 38 by Legs & Co
Performed by Marvin Gaye and reaching No 7 in the UK charts
Original Broadcast date -- 12/05/77 Duration of dance 1.54 mins
Dancers -- Gill,Lulu,Patti,Pauline,Rosie,Sue.

Pauline 36                      Sue 36
Rosie 36                         Gill 34
Lulu 36                          Patti 31
A link to the dance --
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26cxtq_legs-co-got-to-give-it-up-part-1-version-1-totp-tx-12-05-1977_creation

A very short in duration dance this one, pity it wasn't longer. Was it some kind of last day rush job i wonder. Nether the less, the close proximity of the six dancers all attired in those sexy `Moody Blue` dresses make it easy on the eye. I particularly look out for Gills range of facial expressions early in the piece.  Also one couldn't help but notice Patti`s tan that she acquired from her recent holiday in the sun, this is also evident in the other routine on this show. Although i enjoy this short performance, im not going to score it to highly due to the odd nature of this one and the strange abrupt end to it. So its 7 out of 10 from me.

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- 1977

bucksby
I echo pretty much what you said Ryan, I do like the dresses though. 7 for me.

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- 1977

Paperboyplod
It looks as if these blue dresses are the same ones as worn for the Moody Blue dance routine, but at least they again bring out the best in our girls here, there's some nice close ups of the girls faces, obviously enjoying themselves.

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- 1977

Suefan
If I remember correctly from one of the press cuttings Mishmash once posted this was soon after the lengthening of the show, which in part it stated was to allow for a second helping of Legs and there is certainly quite a run of weeks during 1977 when this was the case.  However, in practice I reckon it was unrealistic to expect Flick and the girls to have the time to rehearse two routines week after week and so some abbreviated action was the inevitable result.  A shame as those dresses deserved another more expansive outing, although all that wiggling and swishing still goes down a storm.

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- 1977

PattiForPM
I know I'm not in the majority on this one but i love it to bits and think Patti carries it and it is one of my most frequent "pick-me-up" routines.  She looks stunning front and centre and those facial expressions are simply hypnotic for me.  There are also lovely and somewhat suggestive smiles from Sue, Gill, Lulu and Rosie but Pauline gets a bit of a short straw in terms of camera time.  The camera keeps having to return to Ms Hammond though and although the moves are fairly simple they fit Marvin's tune well. Yes it is short and the ladies clustered but it puts me in mind of the best float at a Mardi Gras procession.  9.5/10

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- 1977

Lookmacinanger
I can think of alot worse ways of spending 1.54 mins of my time. To me this is something different, girls bunched together, great close ups and doing a nice little number to the magic of 'Marvin Gaye' 9/10.
Stu

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- 1977

Stu
A fantastic Marvin Gaye song, and I think this a very sexy performance by the girls. Difficult to choose between this and the flashy lights routine as proved on the recent poll, and you'll rarely see the girls looking as good as they do in this. Patti does seem to be enjoying showing off her tan... and why not?

8.5/10

Stuey

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- 1977

Andeebee
the moody blue dresses are back - 8 for me

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- 1977

VintageVideos
Boy, what a short routine! As I said before, this song is not exactly a favourite. But I like the dresses. The camera man seems to love the girls' faces (well who doesn't), so we get to see pretty little of the actual dancing. All in all more like a sample, not a full routine.

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- 1977

Doc
Not my favorite, looks somewhat like a late replacement dance. Just 7.

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- 1977

Who's That Hurll
I am not keen on 'Got to Give it Up', as they are wearing the same outfits as for the 'Moody Blue' routine and this inferior song and dance dilutes one of my favourites of 1977.
5/10   DOTD Gill for some nice looks at the start.

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- 1977

Suefan
Love the dresses and love the close ups so this gets an 8.5.

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- 1977

Old Grey Whistler
The 'Moody Blue' dresses make a welcome return in a performance full of wiggles and pouting.  All of the girls get some decent close ups with the exception of Pauline, who not for the first time, struggles to get any significant camera time. It is not a bad routine but I just feel that it is lacking something and leaves me wanting just a little more.  I will give this 7.5 out of 10.

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- 1977

Old Bill
I am SURE I'd already done this one... but evidentally not.

A very irritating song, and I'm sure Flick wasn't exactly over the moon when she was presented with it.
But with Lulu's pouts, Gill's smiles and Sue just simply smouldering makes up for it.

Not so much a dance routine but a dress-shaking routine - but it works. And the girls look good all together in sync as one.
The party-fun just spills out of the telly. Or YouTube rather. I could be at the Legs & Co Mardi Gras!

Sadly short for the eyes, but the ears were glad to hear the end of pots & pans being bashed.

7/10 and DotD could have been Sue. Or Gill. Or Rosie. Or Patti. Or Pauline - in that order. But Lulu wins me over, if only for this look:

Finally, somewhat ironic that afterwards Savile (or Savile's brother...) says it's one for all the lads in the shovel & nick, which is exactly where he'd be now if he wasn't brown bread.

Jeremiah 31:13

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- 1977

Thanks for your comments on this Old Bill. Just to say, you did leave your DOTD nomination for Lulu for this dance on the 18/06/13 over on the 1977 DOTD thread, but you somehow didn't leave a comment on the rating in this thread.

Anyhow, you are now all done for 76 & 77 and your averages will be updated. Already looking forward to you catching up on 1978. Seems the last you one did was around July time, so you will have some catching up to do. Hey how about doing one a day . (Not forgetting our other two channels too)

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- 1977

Colm
Undoubtedly, I'd rather watch both Legs and Co routines to Marvin Gaye's "Got to Give It Up" than the sinister video to the sinister Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines".

Here, the dancing is smooth and sensual (but not overtly sexual), with the overall impression the girls are comfortable and in control of their freedom of movement and relationship to the music. Plus, the costumes are better.

Score: 9.5 (it would have got a ten if it was a tad longer)

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- 1977

Angie
Love the screen grab of Lulu OB

Again good, but I prefer the 'flashing lights' version.

7.5/10

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- 1977

In this routine we have the ladies in the same costumes as they had wore for " Moody Blue ". The ladies are on a Podium, just wafting them blue dresses. the good thing in this is that get close shot from camera. So you get they beautiful face that you don't get in the next version.

The Dotd will again go to the beautiful Sue.

The score is 7 out of 10.

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- 1977

Mikey
A fine song that doesn't easily fit into any specific genre but very good all the same. A fairly straightfoward dancing on the spot 'shake the dress' number that sees Patti leading from the front and upping the raunch factor somewhat with some very err 'interesting' expressions and all the better for it . The routine is short and sweet, but its not a downer as another version is just round the corner.

7.5/10

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- [May]

Not as good as the other routine.The costumes are wrong for this routine,ant the atmosphere has gone.7/10