Quantcast

GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- [May]

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- [May]

GiLuRo
Somewhat different from the usual routine, we see all the girls bunched up close together with not too much dancing going on, but I think this suits the style and tempo of the song. We have some decent close ups and the girls look lovely, as they did in the shows earlier but totally different performance, and some nice dress shaking which is always a favourite of mine. Short but still enjoyable, but I have to say I prefer the flashing lights version.

Rating 7/10

DOTD because she catches my eye right from the beginning, Gill

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- [May]

Everything'sRosie
I actually prefer this version to the one on the Tidybeard show. A memorable routine which I remembered well from the time it was first shown. Love the tight split-level bunching of the girls. The dance captures the feel of the song superbly, I think. And the camera man is rather taken by Gill, isn't he! Though they all look utterly in this one.
8.5/10. Agreed, DOTD Gill.

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- [May]

PattiForPM
It's this Dance more than any other which convinces me of my own bias.  I love this one and have probably watched it more than any other as it's a quick cheer-me-up and in lovely focus.  When I read others' reviews I am really surprised as in my mind this is my favourite Dancer in dominant mood and I see Patti, the whole Patti and nothing but the Patti.

I should have given it 10/10  so can you change that for me Ryan and please keep Pattii as my DotD forever

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- [May]

PattiForPM wrote
 so can you change that for me Ryan
Sure, no probs and i will get onto editing about half a dozen of my lists later this evening to accommodate it.

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- [May]

Dancer
These blue dresses were lovely and complimented their original dance well (Moody Blue) but alas not this one.  They still gave it their all though and it was a shame it was such a short dance.  I will award this one seven out of ten.  Loved Patti's looks in this.

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- [May]

The Rubberband Man
Raunchy dance number performed with attitude to the marvelous Marvin Gaye – a man with so much soul it completely fills your boots.
Lovely seeing the gang dance so close together, the hip wiggles and forward thrusts are very sexy, and the close-up shots are fantastic. The routine is a good interpretation to the record, the dresses are fabulous, and there’s no irritating overuse of video overlays or bad lighting. I can’t see what’s not to like so it’s a big 10/10

DOTD to Lulu as I love the way she’s already cued herself up to the camera when it pans back from Gill’s close-up, and for her facial expression moments later that OB captured so well in his review.

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- [May]

PattiForPM
The Rubberband Man wrote
 it’s a big 10/10
100% agree RBM   I think this one is underappreciated

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- [May]

Everything'sRosie
Me too! I think this is a fantastic routine. I was reading the earlier comments and getting more and more depressed as I felt it was being marked  too lowly, so glad to see recent posts being more favourable.

I think the girls look absolutely stunning in those flamenco dresses, and all six shine with a cool blue sensuality. I know we've seen them (the dresses) before but this dance showcases them better imho as the silky fabric becomes positively charged by those shimmying bods beneath. The three tier staging was an inspired move too, packing the girls tightly together giving an almost claustrophobic feel and enhancing the high-octane moves. And a word about the song, I can barely distinguish a single word the great Marvin sings, almost certainly intentional to make the vocal merely another musical instrument. Great record, even greater because I haven't a clue what it's about!

What I hadn't realised (or rather forgotten) was this appeared on the same show as Ma Nah Ma Nah. Hard to imagine too more contrary routines. One ultra cool...the other terminally naff. What versatility.

Marks: Got to give it a TEN
DOTD: Tricky as they all look incredible, but a smiling Gill just edges it.

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- [May]

Hi ER. I you look further up the comments for this routine you will notice you commented and score rated this a year ago in May 2016. I will have to take your score from then, as i no longer make changes to score ratings.

Just a tip for you and any other potential commenters who contribute in 1977. A good place to check if you have already made comments for this year is in the thread that ive arrowed below.. Thanks once again to everyone who do make regular comments to coincide with the routines from 40 years ago.

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- [May]

Everything'sRosie
Oh yes, Silly me. Sorry about that. I got carried away with the 40th anniversary thread and should have gone there. Which I will. Shows what a fan I am of the routine to review it twice. Should have given it a ten first time..

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- [May]

brandonb
10/10 DOTD: Gill

Love the song, love the routine. It wasn't always that way with this song - I used to find it a bit dull at the time but over the years it's grown on me. This routine works really well though and it's such a shame it wasn't longer... I was conflicted about DOTD - Patti is great in this one - but overall I went for Gill because I really love those expressions at the start and it's not often we see Gill highlighted like this - whereas Patti has many moments of triumph among the routines.  If I could pick them both I would - but forced to make a choice I think Gill's performance just swings it for me...

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- [May]

brandonb wrote
10/10 DOTD: Gill
Love the song, love the routine.
Look forward to yours and other folks comments then on the second routine to this song in a few weeks time. Will you or wont you like that i wonder. I think nowadays an epilepsy warning would be given beforehand on that one, but i digress.

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- [May]

brandonb
RYAN wrote
Look forward to yours and other folks comments then on the second routine to this song in a few weeks time. Will you or wont you like that i wonder. I think nowadays an epilepsy warning would be given beforehand on that one, but i digress.
Ha! I'll keep the suspense going on that one then as far as I'm concerned. But without giving anything away I think the flashing lights will probably make it a Marmite kind of routine for most, despite it not being in quite the same league of epilepsy / migraine inducing horror as "Disco Inferno"

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- [May]

CoffeeThing
A sultry little number with our favourites strutting seemingly effortlessly to Marvyn Gaye's smooth tones. An enjoyable watch that never really gets going but maybe that's the point. Great outfits and lovely smiles all round. 8/10. Patti seriously gets into the groove and despite Sue smiling sweetly, Patti is DOTD.

Re: GOT TO GIVE IT UP (Blue Dresses) -- [May]

MADMAX
Liked this one, got to see close up's of the girls which i think is great. they looked great all in blue    8.5