GREEN RIVER (REHEARSAL) -- 01/01/1970

Re: GREEN RIVER (REHEARSAL) -- 01/01/1970

I have watched this routine many many times in the past, but I have always thought of it as the only Pan's People TOTP routine from the 1960s that survives, but upon reading Vin and PansLegs posts it appears that this was rehearsal was recorded on the 1st day of the new decade. I still like to think that Pan's People were working on this routine at the end of 1969, so in my books I would still consider this a routine from the 1960s. Still it is the earliest example of a TOTP Pan's People routine which exists in colour! It wouldn't have been the same in black and white.
It might be a rehearsal, but I think that this is so good that I don't think they should have even danced again and that the BBC should have just used this insert. Something worth noting is that this routine was shown on the 9th July 1981 which was the 900th edition of TOTP (around 11.20), but as it was not shown on BBC Four, the four second clip is is very low quality, but the one supplied is very clear. Speaking of this clip being re-used, it also appeared on the 27th December 1973 edition of TOTP with much more being shown, so the BBC has had this routine in its possesison since at least 1973. If a Pan's People at the BBC was to happen, no doubt this routine would be shown minus one second at the beginning.
One of those memorable routines that I really love. I know this is a controversial choice, but in this routine I really like Andi. She did have a little break towards the end, but when you say Green River I think of the Andi close-up as well as Flick's amazing dancing. All equally as good in this dance routine, but I just can't leave this thread without thinking of what if the proper routine had been saved. Back in 1970 I bet maybe only about 2000 people would have seen this routine in colour and the other 7 million would have been stuck with black and white, so I feel very lucky that this routine has been saved in colour and that I am one of the lucky few who have seen the whole routine in colour.
The 1970s started with Pan's People dancing to Green River and ended with Legs & Co dancing to YMCA, I feel very lucky that on this forum I can watch every publically available routine inbetween that survived the BBC's wiping.

Rating: 10/10
DOTD: Andrea

Re: GREEN RIVER (REHEARSAL) -- 01/01/1970

VintageVideos
Thanks for your enthusiastic review, Legsfan. I'm sure you wanted to say that it's the earliest Pan's People TOTP routine which exists in colour, as we have a number of colour clips from 1968 and 1969, for example from the Bobbie Gentry show, from "London Aktuell" and from "The Price of Fame".
I also think that Andi is great here, and on another day I might have chosen her to be my DotD. Yes it's good to have all those clips for everyone to see, and I sincerely hope that all the other clips that are currently locked up will be made publicly available in the not too distant future.

Re: GREEN RIVER (REHEARSAL) -- 01/01/1970

Legsfan
Yes Vin, I did mean TOTP in colour .
I sometimes forget they weren't just TOTP dancers and had many years of experience behind them before joining in 1968.
I also hope everything will be available one day soon and it was really nice to see that Flick solo surface a couple of weeks ago.
Had to edit the main post because of my many mistakes! My own fault for not proof reading which I never do.

Re: GREEN RIVER (REHEARSAL) -- 1970

Scotty
Right after the shot of Louise grinning, at 1:46 there is Flick smiling also.  I wonder what happened to make them smile like that.

Re: GREEN RIVER (REHEARSAL) -- 01/01/1970

So for my first review I'll be doing a fantastic song. And also one of my favourite bands. And this will be Creedence Clearwater Revival's Green River. Our six ladies are on a square stage. In two rows, in the first row we have Andi, Dee Dee and Flick. The back row as Ruth, Babs and last of all Louise. The ladies are wearing white fringed bikini top and bottoms, and silver boots. The routine is very fast with strong movements The stage is lit green through out the routine. This will be score very high by me for the 2.10 minutes.

As there is no solo in this routine for any of the ladies. But if I have to say one, I would say Flick.

So score will be 9 out of 10.

Re: GREEN RIVER (REHEARSAL) -- 01/01/1970

PattiforPM
As a confessed and inveterate Brunette watcher I think you might have two of those leggy beauties reversed SFE

Re: GREEN RIVER (REHEARSAL) -- 01/01/1970

TheOtherOne
This is probably my most watched dance routine, an iconic record of the 60s moving into the 70s. A great, punchy rock track by CCR and the dancers seem to be losing themselves in the music. As a rehearsal there is a rough-edged excitement and raunchiness that was probably absent from the broadcast version, where presumably the camera angles were a bit more 'family friendly'. A definite 10/10 and DOTD goes to the wonderful Andi, mistakes and all.

Re: GREEN RIVER (REHEARSAL) -- 01/01/1970

VintageVideos
Thanks and welcome to the Pan's People comments section, TheOtherOne! Green River is indeed a top-notch routine and riding high in our favourites list. Please feel free to add further comments and ratings to other routines!

Re: GREEN RIVER (REHEARSAL) -- 01/01/1970

TheOtherOne
Thanks for the welcome Vin, I do intend to do some more reviews for both the Pan's People and Legs & Co comments sections, and maybe even some Ruby Flipper ones. Calling myself an RF fan is a bit of a stretch but there are a couple I like.

Re: GREEN RIVER (REHEARSAL) -- 01/01/1970

Thinking about your nomination of Andi, this is probably the only 1970 routine i can think of where the positions are fixed the whole time, so the camera favours those at the front of course, which seems to be reflected accross all DOTD noms. There doesn't seem to many too many instances in later years either of Flick adopting this format where the dancers have a fixed position perhaps Do You Wanna Dance, or This Old Heart of Mine, but in those the dancers are in a line and would get roughly equal camera time.

Re: GREEN RIVER (REHEARSAL) -- 01/01/1970

TheOtherOne
Not an expert but Jeepster is the only other fixed formation routine I can think of from this era. There is Make it with you, but they're sitting down the whole time in that. Maybe those neglected back row dancers in Green River got some camera time in the broadcast version. It would be great to have the chance to find out!

Re: GREEN RIVER (REHEARSAL) -- 01/01/1970

Mikey
Jeepster is another good example, but they are in a line, rather than the 2 rows thing which seems to be unique to this one.