GROOVY KIPPER

 What about our 23 week wonders, Ruby Flipper. These guys never get a mention these days. It would be good to here any thoughts on our septet from 76. Favourite songs,performances, wacky costumes or troupe members. Should they have got the boot when they did, who do you think was responsible the beeb or Ruth/Flick or both. Do you dig `Disco Duck` when you visit the `Best disco in town`,and `When you should be dancing`do you `Shake your booty`.
   How about your fav routine and the naffest, i will go for `Young hearts run free`for fav and `Disco Duck` for naffest. Both for the same reason though, both dead corny but so echoed that great year.
     Any thoughts you lot in disco land ???

Re: GROOVY KIPPER

PattiForPM
I haven't really tackled this before so here's my chance.  I love Patti (must be news to everyone this) and RF was my intro to her but apart from that I really didn't like the troupe much.  Lulu was very young and I actually preferred Sue and Cherry in late Pans People and I never really warmed to the Guys in the troupe (maybe I'm just closed minded on this).  I did like "Play That Funky Music" and "Love Hangover" and Cherry in "Soul City" but apart from these brief highlights I really can't think of much to recommend RF except for providing a TOTP start for my heroine.  I was over the moon when Legs & Co appeared.  Sorry Carl.

Re: GROOVY KIPPER

  Well thankyou Pattiforpm for that enthusiastic write up. I respect your opinion though mate.

Re: GROOVY KIPPER

PattiForPM
Sorry Ryan, I appreciate the Thread though cos it is a significant part of the Dance Troupes development and I'm sure everyone else will be more positive than me.  (yes I'm still going to my meetings YMG)

Re: GROOVY KIPPER

Kace
I love RF. think the best dance routine was harvest for the world, disco duck and summer of my life.  i cant really say i didnt like or enjoy any of the dances. it was the start of my mums career on top of the pops and i for one love RF.
ABLE WAS I ERE I SAW ELBA

XxXx

Re: GROOVY KIPPER

  Summer of my life ,did i miss that one ? If i did thanks for bringing it to my attention. Is that the one where your mum does that solo dance, if so i would really like to see that one, any chance.

Re: GROOVY KIPPER

Kace
yes it was a solo of my mum dancing to simon may on the 14th of october 76. i will send it to ymg and ask him to dedicate it to you.
ABLE WAS I ERE I SAW ELBA

XxXx

Re: GROOVY KIPPER

A worthwhile thread Ryan even though like Pattiforpm I never warmed to them as a unit.  My favourite routine has to be 'This Is It' with just the four girls in those saucy costumes and I also like their angelic performance in 'Heaven Must Be Missing...'.  The baby acts in 'Young Hearts' are also worth a mention.

However, even those cute shorts didn't save the Disco Duck routine while for absolute stinkers, certainly the worst RF and, I would suggest, worst of all time was that TVC thing - what a waste of a goddess.

I may be wrong but they never seemed to quite gel as a team for me.

Re: GROOVY KIPPER

Good words Suefan. For me i thought they did ok. Maybe it was time for something different after so many years of PP. I thought they captured the mood of that long hot summer, Yeah i think come the autumn theyed had there chips. 33 songs hardly a duff one in there, though tvc 15 was just horrible. Great solo stuff from 3 of our girls, pity our girl did`nt really do one. The boys were ok in some weird sort of way as well.

Re: GROOVY KIPPER

Suefan
Yes I'd agree with you that everyone in RF did well but for me more as individuals than as a team - that was probably because of the more experimental nature of the routines.  The lads were fine in what they did but I bet the non-TOTP bookings took something of a nose-dive without an all-girl group and might have been one of the factors in the switch to Legs.

After Pans, which as you say had had a good run but was ready for a revamp, RF was just that little bit too different.  A mixed group with more unconventional routines.  Can't see many entertainment managers rubbing there hands with glee at the prospect of RF after Pans back then.

Re: GROOVY KIPPER

 I`m gonna be dead controversial now. Do you think in those long gone days, when Britain was less tolerant, havin a` gentleman of colour `(to pinch one of p4pms phrases) was maybe detrimental to RFs cause. It was an unusual step in those days. This is a hard question to ask, so forgive me folks.

Re: GROOVY KIPPER

Suefan
Yes it is a hard question to ask but one that deserves consideration.  If I think back to those days then, unpleasant as it now seems, I would say the answer would have to be yes.  A proportion of the audience, and not necessarily a small proportion nor just of one gender either, would have been uncomfortable.  I was at college then in a racially divided society, but even when I used to come back to London and go to parties, disco, clubs you hardly ever saw mixed race couples dancing together.

Having said that I doubt if that was the clinching factor behind the end of RF.  I just don't think as a group they were bankable enough.

Re: GROOVY KIPPER

  Back to fun times with `I`m not gonna say Ruby Slipper` One for Patti fans,wasnt that the darndest thing you ever saw Patti doing that `the Wanderer`number. Sheer brilliance that, to get away with those daft white trousers, doing that funny dance and strange hand movements was a thing to behold. I think these were fun times, and i will come back with more stuff.

Re: GROOVY KIPPER

Kace
I also like this is it by melba moore. think the costumes and tinsel are cool. to be honest the only one from RF that i dont like is david bowies tvc 15.
ABLE WAS I ERE I SAW ELBA

XxXx

Re: GROOVY KIPPER

Good choice Kace, the only down side for me is that those tinsally things are a bit distracting. I hate it  when things like that spoil routines. A good example of this is L&co `Disco inferno`with those stupid orange lights stinking the joint out.

Re: GROOVY KIPPER

  Another thing about this lot. They did an outside apperance to `Tubular bells`.Unusual dont you think . I know Pans did this on occasions, what about Legs. Wracking my brain here, do one of you cleverclogs out there know of a routine that did this ? I`m sure you do.

Re: GROOVY KIPPER

PattiForPM
I've been racking my brain over this too Ryan and I can't come up with any routines at all.  Having said that those shaking stalagmites in "Turn to Stone" could well have been in a real cave (but God help us if they were).  Any insights anyone else?

Re: GROOVY KIPPER

Floid Fan
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Carl

Re: GROOVY KIPPER

  Hi carl i started this thread with you in mind. I knew you would have some good thoughts. Interesting what you say about the two tv progs and also Hot Gossip. All 3 on the mugh more easy going `light `channel itv. I certainly think that Cotton was instumental in there removal from our screens. The beeb were such prudes in those days, but hey just as daft now.
  I for one loved our super 7 guys and gals and thought they fitted that period well. But i remember them being savaged at the time, unfairly i thought. But one always had the impression they had a short life span, and so it proved. But we got the best dancing troupe of all time out of it, so it wernt all bad.

Re: GROOVY KIPPER

An interesting discussion, to mirror their interesting routines, but they were not a bankable unit and its the bottom line that counts, even when packaged in a cute pair of shorts.