Gillian's Minder

Old Bill
I know the relevant bit is on YouTube, but if anyone is keen Gill's Minder episode is on ITV4 this weekend. Sunday morning at 1.35am. Rise and shine!
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: Gillian's Minder

Andy
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Gillian's Minder

Minder is most defiantly one of my favourites shows ever and its about time i got the box-set of the shelf and started from the beginning again.

The episode with Gill in is called `All About Scoring, Innit?`.

Here is the IMDB link. Sadly Gillian is uncredited. If you click onto See Full Cast, she is there though, simply as Gill Clark secretary.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0648655/

Re: Gillian's Minder

The actual clip in question that features Gill is on Andeebee's YT channel. Blink and you miss her !
https://youtu.be/pJZhMymC8uc

Re: Gillian's Minder

Andy
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Gillian's Minder

Old Bill
I'm with Ryan here! I love Minder. Not so keen on Ray Daley though, but they are being repeated (as always) at the moment so I'll keep my eyes open for Cherry's episode, Whatever Happened to 'Er Indoors? Although all Cherry bits are on Andee's channel to of course.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: Gillian's Minder

Thanks Old Bill, I've been waiting for this one for a while

Re: Gillian's Minder

Dennis Waterman was a bit of a show-biz pal of the dancers and he was the reason Gill got this bit part. Of course Dennis appeared on the Tiswas skit also with another pal of the dancers a certain Mr Tarrent.

Re: Gillian's Minder

PattiForPM
I believe Dennis was also buddies with Mr Babs too so had plenty of Dancer cred

Re: Gillian's Minder

Old Bill
I bet Babs didn't wait up when those two were out & about!
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: Gillian's Minder

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
I think you just missed that episode OB, it was on ITV4 this last week.....never mind, the speed ITV4 play them, you wont have to wait more than 3 months for another chance

FWIW I quite liked the revived Minder at the time, but now they seemed to have aged worse than the Waterman-era shows. Not sure is all Ray Daley's fault though - the support casts were always top quality in DW's incarnation as the minder, not so in the revival.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: Gillian's Minder

I also dont mind the 3 Ray Daley series of Minders.

Re: Gillian's Minder

Old Bill
Bugger - missed it! Oh well, it'll be on again soon.

The Ray Daley years were ok, but it was all about George Cole - and rightly so. But Ray was an unbelievable Minder and an unconvincing cad.
And too many stories seemed the same. Arthur would have a new business idea. But there was already someone on the manor doing it, and they're not happy so try to scare him off. Ray wades in and sorts them out, and shags the baddie's daughter in the process. Arthur decides to give up. Cue walk down Southend pier.

Still watchable fun, but the earlier series were undeniable classics. And I trust no-one is going to mention Shane Ritchie? Good.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: Gillian's Minder

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Pretty much nailed it there OB.

For me the Ray Daley years were like one of Meer's uploads of a Yewtree'd TOTP where the audio and the visual is slightly but annoyingly out of synch....its better than nothing, and I'm glad for the chance to see it, but its not quite the same.

My take on it was that George was pissed off with Waterman for walking away and killing the golden goose...so tried to hold it all together as a vehicle for himself....but it just doesn't quite work without Dennis.

Also the Ray Daley era Plods not a patch on the Charlie Chisholms and Ronnie Rycotts
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: Gillian's Minder

Oh i disagree about the plods. I thought DS Morley was just as good as Chisholm & Rycott. But Stephen Tompkinson as Parks was a bit crap.

Re: Gillian's Minder

Old Bill
Spot on RNOF about Rycroft. Charlie Chisholm was one of tv's funniest characters. Just one look from him would crack me up. Patrick Malahide should have got an Oscar for Chisholm. Rycroft is merely a comedy character.

As Minder was created for Denis, you could say he could be annoyed that Arthur's character grew to take it over, but of course he wasn't. Just like the Sweeney was created for John Thaw, but he never minded Denis becoming 50% of the draw.
But I think everyone agreed Denis Waterman was getting too old to play a minder, including Denis himself. Denis and George, although like chalk & cheese, were really really good friends. They talk about each other quite touchingly in their autobiographies and Denis visited George just a day a two before he died and was genuinely upset.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: Gillian's Minder

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
In a very early Minder, Rycott has actually got a different Christian name.....I forget what it is now...anyway he is a bent sod on the take in this early ep.....but he reappears lately with a new "monicker" and is more of a comedy character as you say....

I liked Morley at the time, but he seems hammy now. I know Rycott was played for laughs but not in the hammy way that Morley was, which I think took away a lot of the grit...and I think they tried to make up for this by using silly spooky incidental music in the Ray Daley years whenever Arfur was about to get nicked, which really annoyed me.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: Gillian's Minder

Old Bill
Agh!! Sorry I meant Morley not Rycroft!

Agree with the music - that was awful. And if one of them in a tricky situation of some sort before the ad-break the "end of part 1" music would be different and supposedly have an air of suspense about. Grrrr!!
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: Gillian's Minder

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Actually really sad news that Ive just found on IMDb is that Peter Childs, who played Ronnie Rycott (I also once spotted him as a burglar in Ever Decreasing Circles, another of my all-time fav shows) died aged just 50 in 1989
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: Gillian's Minder

Old Bill
That rings a bell - maybe form the TV Lounge? But explains why Rycott wasn't chasing Ray.
Jeremiah 31:13