Girls of The 80s

Re: Girls of The 80s

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Well who knew - all those 80s icons and my favourite photo amongst them was Miss Lexington out of Grange Hill! Major- phwoar! Well done Ryan!
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: Girls of The 80s

Everything'sRosie wrote
The Rubberband Man wrote
Chrissie Hynde, Debbie Harry, Viv Albertine; Siouxsie Sioux; Poly Styrene and Pauline Black photographed in 1980
How amazing to have so many influential ladies in the same room. Thank goodness someone thought to bring a camera. This photograph will become more and more iconic as the years pass
I seem to recall a Chrissie Hynde interview in which she noted how starstruck the others were when Debbie arrived and how her main impression was how big DH's head was

Re: Girls of The 80s

Michael wrote
What is the Curse of Mike Smith? Sounds ominous!
What I refer to as the late DJ's directive to have all the shows he appeared on banned from broadcast. Never mind who else was on them e.g. Strawberry Switchblade. Why the BBC didn't just ignore him, I don't know. After all, he was only the presenter and he's dead now anyway.

Re: Girls of The 80s

PattiforPM wrote
I seem to recall a Chrissie Hynde interview in which she noted how starstruck the others were when Debbie arrived and how her main impression was how big DH's head was
DH's big head is legendary. In fact DH has humbly admitted that she used to feel ashamed of herself for having a huge ego.
How nice.

Re: Girls of The 80s

Michael
Thank you for answering my question. I wonder what made him impose such a ruling, and why don't the BBC just edit him out? There're probably loads of great performances languishing in the archives because of this. Shame.

Re: Girls of The 80s

Hanway2

    Julianne Regan of All About Eve.
   A very late entry, if Mikey allows it!

Re: Girls of The 80s

Mikey
Well then Hanway if you are going to do that then i'm posting a couple of bonus pics of Sarah Sutton

Re: Girls of The 80s

Everything'sRosie
Calling all Sarah Sutton fans, have any of you by chance got a copy of the brill, and very sinister, Boys & Girls Come Out To Play? It's been missing from the BBC archives since the 1970s, I own the script (purchased from The Written Library) but I would be quite willing to crawl over broken glass to see the VT again

Re: Girls of The 80s

Hanway2
 Was that the episode shown in the series, Menace, ER? I can remember seeing that on Television from the  time, about 1973. I saw many of the Menace series and some of them scared the proverbial out of me, very very creepy, especially the one about The Nun.
Sorry, I haven’t got any of the programmes, it was one of the first things I ever checked on Kaleidoscope/ TV Brain, but I would love to see them again, too.  I do hope someone, somewhere  made copies, that still might exist, it is not impossible.

Re: Girls of The 80s

Everything'sRosie
Yes, spot on Hanway. Sutton played Belinda, the child from Hell who got up to all sorts of mischief after nightfall. You're right, it was part of the "Menace" anthology series. For me one of the saddest losses from the BBC archive. The one you mention about "the nun" was called The Haunting, and was loosely based on The Borley Rectory hauntings. And like you, it scared the proverbial out of the 10 year old me too, and if there was one piece of lost television I'd love to see returned that would be it. I also own the script for that one. Incidentally, the phantom nun was played by Claire Falconbridge who went on to play Miranda Pollard in Crossroads.

Rather creepily, due to the subject matter, that was post number 666 for you Hanway2

Re: Girls of The 80s

Hanway2
 Good to know you have the scripts for these programmes from the series Menace, ER, at least something survives from them.
I was 12 years old, and was staying with family at an old house in Warwickshire on holiday when I saw The Haunting. And that house was creepy in itself. The part with the Bible on the table- not seen show for 46 years so exact details are a little hazy- alarmed me the most!
 Yes, this is a great loss to the archives that they are no longer available.
I have quickly moved on to post 667, so I can sleep easily tonight!

Re: Girls of The 80s

Everything'sRosie
Thanks for the feedback, Hanway. If I was an eccentric (multi) millionaire in the great Viz tradition, I'd pay for all this stuff to be remade, in 1970s style, of course

Re: Girls of The 80s

 Also, if you were 10 and I was 12 then maybe we should not have been watching these programmes in the first place, ER. Another one I remember, although not as scary was the episode about a house let as flats, and a certain Mr. Curtis who lived upstairs.
And if you did remake them in 70s style, I would certainly watch!

Re: Girls of The 80s

Mikey
As promised, Kim Cattrall in Mannequin