HANDS UP (GIVE ME YOUR HEART) [September]

HANDS UP (GIVE ME YOUR HEART) [September]

HANDS UP (GIVE ME YOUR HEART)  Dance/performance number 293 by Legs & Co
Performed by   Ottawan   reaching number 3 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  10/09/81  Duration of performance 3.00 mins
Dancers--Anita, Gill, Lulu, Rosie, Sue.
The Legs & Co attendance register so far after 293 dances/performances

Sue      272
Rosie    269
Gill        262
Lulu      262
Patti     259
Pauline  231
Anita      26

Another excellent routine in this the tail-end of Legs & Co's time on the show as they perform to the second of Ottawan's big hits. Adorned in varying coloured basques and armed to the teeth, our flexible friends show once again how they were very much in their pomp, entertaining not only the appreciative cowboy & cowgirl audience, but also the watching millions who looked forward to watching them each week. So sad to think many more great routines could have been performed, though that was never to be. Its hard for a fan like me to not get senti-mental, but i apologise for going astray.

I really enjoy the gunshot moves. Anita plays her single shot so well and what about cool-hand Rosie, shooting through her legs. I think the song is better than D.I.S.C.O and the routine way better.  Ive watched this many times over the years, but plenty of times this last 24 hours and its hard to find fault with it, though having Patti back would make it even better. I guess if one was ultra conservative, you may say the bending over stuff was a bit on the risque side. But once again its yet another chance for Gill to show of that particular part of her anatomy.

Very close to the max, but im going to award this `9.5 out of 10`.

Re: HANDS UP (GIVE ME YOUR HEART) [September]

Colm
An inevitable choice of theme for this song, but boy does it work.

This is the routine I think I'd most loved to have been in the audience for.

So many highlights for me... but I'll let others discuss theirs so I'm not stealing their thunder.

DotD: Red Ranger Lulu

Score: 10

Re: HANDS UP (GIVE ME YOUR HEART) [September]

In the next routine we still have our ladies on top form. We have a fantastic routine from the beginning to end. Our ladies are wearing coloured basques and black Victorian boots. And around the waists a double gun holster with two colt 45s handgun in them. The ladies are in front of a high stage front and a large stage. The audience wearing cowboy hat and looking up at our ladies. So our ladies are playing showgirl of the western saloons owned by Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday. You can see with the high kicks and bending over suggesting a Can Can dance. All our ladies get good solos using they guns. Like Anita with the nice comedy bit with her gun. Or Sue doing that great spin and then firing the two guns up into the air. Did I see Sue having trouble putting her guns back in the holsters. But the best solo must go to the tall and beautiful Lulu. From the start of the routine she give wonderful looks to the camera. So I must put a high mark for this routine.

So the Dotd just beating Sue for me must go to Lulu.

The score must be 10 out of 10.

Re: HANDS UP (GIVE ME YOUR HEART) [September]

Lovely picture montage Boss.  How can you not love this one I ask?  Frisky ladies looking a million bucks in their corsetry and fishnets and armed too!!  There's sexiness and comedy and a good deal of skill on Show and a really inventive theme by Flick to boot.  For a fair few years I thought this was Patti and not Anita and I must say Anita shone in this rendition but despite all the other brilliance on Show it is once again Lulu who catches my eye with her leggy solo, amazing eyes and appealing expressions (oops maybe overstepping the fanboy line again!)  Ah well I can only give this great spectacle 10/10 and totally agree with Colm that being in the saloon would have been an experience of a lifetime

Re: HANDS UP (GIVE ME YOUR HEART) [September]

The Rubberband Man
A very leggy Legs & Co are going out with a bang. The world’s a stage, and the stage in the saloon bar of Hurl’s Dodgy City is a world of rootin’ tootin’ and shootin’ dancing girls. Surrounded by Cowboys, Legs & Co grab the opportunity to really show their wild side by wearing sexy basques, and those high kicks they do are amazing.

But it’s an OMG to Lulu who is totally awesome in this routine. The “Angel Face” solo is the best bit of Lulu I’ve seen since the opening 30 seconds of DPIDFI. “I love your smile” Lulu, and we get heaps of your beautiful and sexy ways and style in this routine. Hands Up….  I surrender to making Lulu DOTD.

A pity that Patti missed out on a routine that is totally worth 10/10

Re: HANDS UP (GIVE ME YOUR HEART) [September]

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
It's uncanny how all the best routines this year seem to have been Yewtree'd. Oh how I would have loved to have seen this in BBC4 HD!

By rights Lulu should be a shoo-in after that long opening piece front and centre but there is just something about Gill's looks that is perfectly suited to a Wild-West burlesque type theme

Get the guns out girls!

Its a massive TEN from me, and Gill for DotD
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: HANDS UP (GIVE ME YOUR HEART) [September]

Legsfan
I love this routine! Although I'm not a fan of anything western I still really like the way this routine has been done. I used to mistake Anita for Patti in this one because from the beginning I have always thought they could be sisters. I'm so happy this was repeated on Mike Read's TOTP because the full version seems like the colours aren't all that, so I prefer the revised repeat because it was on BBC 4 meaning that it's ultra high defininition compared to the others and I think the original goes on way too long, so as strange as it sounds I only watch the revised repeat. I also really like the added sound effects which really complete the routine as something really fun.
Rating: 10/10
DOTD: Angel Face Lulu

Re: HANDS UP (GIVE ME YOUR HEART) [September]

Everything'sRosie
Gene Vincent might have died ten years before this was screened but I bet, like me, he would certainly have approved of these Pistol Packin' Mamas. Tremendous routine. Effortlessly great, and if it didn't already exist I would have dreamt it up in my head! Have loved that saloon/burlesque look ever since seeing Angela Douglas swan down the stairs in Carry on Cowboy when I were a lad. The girls show just what versatile performers they were, nailing the dance and the high kicks with aplomb. And don't they appear to be having fun! Presumably at this point they knew the curtain was soon to come down on their TotPs careers but seemed determined to go out with a BANG BANG BANG...and then some! And Anita seems to have worn a hole in her fishnets, which is oddly sexy.

DotD: For the second week running it has to be "angel face". What a turn by Lulu

Marks: This is my third Ten in a row. I know you're some place else these days Michael Hurl, but are you watching this, eh, eh?

Re: HANDS UP (GIVE ME YOUR HEART) [September]

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Legsfan wrote
I I'm so happy this was repeated on Mike Read's TOTP
Aarrrggh! I didn't know that and I missed that BBC4 ep
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: HANDS UP (GIVE ME YOUR HEART) [September]

VintageVideos
The repeat was much shorter than the original (just about 2.10 mins).

Re: HANDS UP (GIVE ME YOUR HEART) [September]

Rosie'sNumberOneFan wrote
Legsfan wrote
I I'm so happy this was repeated on Mike Read's TOTP
Aarrrggh! I didn't know that and I missed that BBC4 ep
Most of the fuller version from 3/9/81  is, of course, on the blog, RNOF.
http://www.oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=1831
Taken from an old TOTP2 broadcast, it includes the section unfortunately omitted from the BBC4 broadcast of the 1/10/81 edition of TOTP. Lasting just over 45 seconds, the chopped sequence occurs around the 1:27 - 2:13 marks.

Re: HANDS UP (GIVE ME YOUR HEART) [September]

The girls do a skillful job with Flick's wild west take on the can can.  Its playful and inventive, and with just the right mix of dance and comedy, but for all that I don't love it.  You see I'm just not a fan of the girls outfits.  To SF they are a stereotype of sexiness without actually being all that sexy.  However, its a clever routine very well performed so I'm giving it a generous 8, with sharp shooter Lulu my saloon girl of the day.

Re: HANDS UP (GIVE ME YOUR HEART) [September]

After failing to capilize on Ottawan at the first offering this time their rinkety-dink-dink cheeseburger gets served up with relish as the Wild West meets the Moulin Rouge, and it's the best value show francs can buy! Hair up and well-armed in basques, fishnets, ankle boots and trimmings this gang have really hit town. Hands are inevitably up too but they're heading to the swing doors in a blaze of glory with no sign of surrender even as with roughshod justice Hurll prepares to load his bullets. Bouncy, cheeky, but never crude, this is a super one to highlight the apex era of TV dancers even as it simultaneously bends over right into the hands of holier than thou detractors. Well peek-a-boo to them!  You gotta love 'em with their zany tiller girl kicks and showgirlship. One where that ole familiar friendliness shoots out directly and captures you helplessly in a lasso. Loopy Lu in racey red is ahead of the chorus line and extremely well-versed in the art of being hopping mad. I most certainly do like her style! The Belle of Blackpool looks primed to send a mean Pernod down the counter. Grand varieté continues with her getting to play crazy dames partnering up with Anita. It would have been great fun to see how Anita and Patti matched up in the mirroring...

My own report into the outbreak of gunfire finds it's a good enough advertisement for the Second Amendment to push Trump into the White House. Yes, that  good!  Each stamp their personality on the draw and are trigger-happy top shots apart from scaredy cat Anita who nonetheless stands equally tall in performance. It's only a pity someone didn't 'misfire' in the direction of Fairbrass. I'm sick of spotting him now. But that would have been foul play, completely alien to these girls.

I tip my stetson to you Mademoiselles. 10/10  DOTD Lulu.

Re: HANDS UP (GIVE ME YOUR HEART) [September]

VintageVideos
Tell me, who is that Otto Wan? Oh I see it's Ottawan - obviously named after the Canadian capital. I have no idea why the BBC keeps misspelling their name. Well, at least they can spell Genisis...

Nice literal routine with a bit of Bierzelt Saloon atmosphere. Good fun. But nowhere near a 10 in my book. I enjoy real fine dancing more than gun shootin' ladies. And I loathe the song which is just typical end 70's/early 80's disco pulp without much substance. Probably a fine sing-a-long song for little children.

8 / 10

Re: HANDS UP (GIVE ME YOUR HEART) [September]

rootean
Great fun in a "Yes We Can-Can, Wild-West Style" routine that's full of energy and spectacle.

Too much spectacle for some people's liking, it must be said. Ryan mentioned the risqué nature of the bend-over moves. I remember at the time comments by some women that, whereas Can-Can dancers wore skirts, the girls here were much more scantily-clad when they leaned forward. So yes, this was daring for early-evening television.

But the girls' enjoyment is clear. Look at Gill's smile when she does her lasso mime, for example. And the high kicks are performed with gusto, highlighting the garter on each girl's right leg.

Rating: 9

DOTD: Lulu

Re: HANDS UP (GIVE ME YOUR HEART) [September]

Doc
Well that's certainly going out with a band! (groan) I wonder if the fact they only had a few weeks to go influenced the type of dance Flick chose. Whatever I think it's great and suits the song well 10/10.
Getting in 5 years early with a SPOTTED, Sue throws both of her guns into the audience rather than putting them back in the holster.
Dotd: Has to be Angel face, what happened to the shy and nervous young thing that first appear on 6th May 76?

Re: HANDS UP (GIVE ME YOUR HEART) [September]

Another classic routine from 81, our ladies look super sexy in their saloon girls raunchy outfits with their guns blazing, and plenty of high kicking too. A full on full fun routine, each of the girls has their moment in the spotlight, and all seem to be really enjoying themselves, but like everyone else i just can't understand how they were gone in just over a months time!

Rating 10/10

DOTD Lulu

Re: HANDS UP (GIVE ME YOUR HEART) [September]

Old Grey Whistler
An excellent dance which makes an average song so much more bearable. It just shows that even at this time, Flick was still able to come up with new ideas. I like to think that they were aiming their pistols at Michael Hurll sat up in the gallery. A tragic mix up in the props department was probably the only chance they had of staying on the show. Speaking of the props department, they managed to supply hats for the audience which was a nice touch.
For the 29th and probably final time I award Legs and Co 10 out of 10 and will give DOTD to Lulu for her solo.

Re: HANDS UP (GIVE ME YOUR HEART) [September]

I love seeing girls with guns, (it makes them appear strong, & in control), & that's for me, the highlight of this performance, towards the end.
Of course, there had to be so,emliteral choreography, what with the backing track title.
The dress-code's slightly risqué, shall we say, but no more than compared to any other Legs & Co. dance routines, it all just looks befitting of the emergent party atmospere at the TOTPs studios!

DotD:-

Sue

Rating:-

Re: HANDS UP (GIVE ME YOUR HEART) [September]

PattiforPM
Paperboyplod wrote
I love seeing girls with guns, (it makes them appear strong, & in control)
I don't disagree entirely PBP but you might be right on the outskirts of Oversharing City