HARVEST FOR THE WORLD

     Here we are back in the TOTP Studio for Harvest for the World, a socially conscious song penned by brother Ernie Isley and then set to music by Ernie with help from sibling Marvin and band-mate Chris Jasper.  The Isleys were a group of kids from Cincinnati who started work in the 1950s as a gospel trio but gradually absorbed more Brothers as the years went by, having become a fivesome plus one (Mr Jasper on keyboards) by the time this record was released in 1976 from the successful Album of the same name.  It reached #10 in the UK and was later covered by such luminaries as Power Station, Jewell, Vanessa Williams and the Christians (the Band not the people).  With it’s fine message (“Dress me up for battle, When all I want is Peace”,  “When will there be a Harvest for the World”) it was even sung for Amnesty International in 1991 by Kim Wilde and the ever popular Jason Donovan.  The Isleys meanwhile have produced fine music of one genre or another in their various guises throughout five decades and have achieved many honours including induction into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame in 1992.  Their biggest contribution however will be seen at some time later on the Pans People Thread in providing a vehicle for one of the most momentous debuts of the 20th Century.

     HARVEST FOR THE WORLD    -     Isley Brothers                                        July 22nd 1976

                                   DANCERS:      Cherry, Floid, Lulu, Patti, Phil and Sue

                                LINK:    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLOTcqLeqAU

   Well here we are on stage and, wait a minute, where is Gavin?  I wonder if anyone noticed the poor guy had retired at such a young age?  Anyway, good luck Sir.  Onto the Dance and I do like this song and the striking black and white (and silver) costumes even if they are a little cobbled together in some instances.  I always love those long slender legs shown off by high sided garments and the ladies certainly oblige here.  The lighting and camera work is less than stellar in my opinion and there’s some audience interference even before the grab-a-punter bit but the Stars rise above it (just about!)  As for the participation piece, well I generally dislike this as you may all know by now, but I must say this is one of the best conceived grabs and there seems to have been a bit of rehearsal and some punter-skill so it works reasonably well.  Floid’s catch does particularly sterling work and was once thought by someone to be Ruth if I recall correctly.  Anyway you can all come to your own conclusions but I am marking this one 8.5/10  and awarding DotD to the lovely Sue, who wears that slightly odd angular dress with such fine aplomb and looks wonderful to this punter.  Please join in friends…

Re: HARVEST FOR THE WORLD

Lookmacinanger
Perhaps this was the open audition to be Gavin’s replacement in Ruby Flipper? Well to me, DLT looks as comfortable as a turkey on a pile of Paxo on Christmas Eve when being asked to partake in the routine, so well done to him. This track has earned its place in people’s hearts and minds and everyone performing in this routine does it justice. 8/10, Dotd Sue

Re: HARVEST FOR THE WORLD

The sentiment of the song may be fine and dandy but as dance material this is a real stinker which leaves Flick fighting an uphill battle from the get go.  That she devised a passable routine is testament to her ability but eventually the lighting and camera work turn out to be all over the place.  The black and white themed costume mix doesn't quite hit the spot either, Sue's beret topped outfit being the best of the bunch, but poor Floid must be sick of striped socks by now!  And, having been given so little to work with by this dirge, Flick eventually has no other recourse but than to head for the last refuge of the stymied choreographer, audience participation.  That said the six Flippers do fine but there is nothing here to challenge dancers of this standard, and when they are reduced to hand clapping above the head you know this is heading for the bargain basement so the routine can get no more than a 5.5.

Re: HARVEST FOR THE WORLD

There's a lot happening in this dance routine, with all matter of mini routines within, it's just a shame that the cross-fading seems to have gone into overdrive, & also there's too many long range shots of the audience, but they really come into their own near the end when, they're all assembled at the front of the stage, as the Isley Brothers ask, & Ruby Flipper gets some guest dancers for what seems like an impromptu dancing lesson.

7/10

DotD:-

Cherry

Re: HARVEST FOR THE WORLD

Well i love this. The routine is not very taxing at all, its very simplistic and basic. But it does have a certain charm and appeal to me and it includes audience members, which we now know the dancers enjoyed. As for Floid's partner at the end, no i don't think we ever did get to the bottom of that mystery. Some of you guys should have asked Ruth when you had the chance recently. I guess Ruby Flipper queries were not upper most in folks minds during the Pans book signings. I will ask the question though and report back.

For my DOTD im going for `Floid` and i find the performance on the whole very enjoyable, `10 out of 10` (no im not trying to wind SF up )

Re: HARVEST FOR THE WORLD

Colm
There are some parts to the routine I like: a routine where the audience involvement is decent, the "conga line" from stage to studio floor, DLT really enjoying himself, Lulu caught on camera singing along again...

But there are other things less to my liking, such as the lighting, the layered shot when the dancers are on the floor, and, I'm sorry to say this, but like on a few other routines, Floid is a tad irritating and over-showy, while to me, Phil (who gets less exposure here than he deserves) puts in an understated performance.

DotD: As much as I'd like to vote for Cherry, she unfortunately got a bit stuck on her spin during her "solo" bit, so for me, I'm going for Sue

Score: 8

Re: HARVEST FOR THE WORLD

PaulF
Great song and a simple routine that works well 8/10

DOTD Sue

Studied Floids audience partner for raunchiness and agree it could be Ruth. Lets hope Ryan can get an answer.
Paul

Re: HARVEST FOR THE WORLD

PattiForPM
Thanks for your input folks.  There is obviously quite some variation in our enjoyment levels but there are indeed several different ways of looking at this Dance I think.  I too toyed with Cherry (how I love to say that) as DotD but like Colm I had to choose Sue when their spins were seen together especially as Sue's costume is a little more "together" as well.  Anyway I do hope there are more opinions to be aired

Re: HARVEST FOR THE WORLD

There are songs that are good. Then there are songs that are great. And then there are songs that are timeless classics. For me, "Harvest For The World" is such a timeless classic and certainly one of the defining songs of 1976. The first time I heard it playing on the radio I was instantly hooked and it soon became one of my all time favourite records. So much so that the longplayer of the same name is one of the elite albums that I have not once but twice in my CD collection (as I couldn't resist the temptation to buy another copy when Big Break Records released an expanded edition which included the rare instrumental version of "Harvest").

There is so much to like in this RF routine, from the lovely solo by Cherry (even if there's a slight slip, who cares), to cutey pie Lulu singing along to "half of us in need", Patti looking absolutely beautiful here, even Phil gets his "3 seconds of fame" (and deservedly so). And when the Isleys beg us to gather all together and celebrate our lives, our troupe suitably gathers a part of the audience to dance and celebrate with them. There might even be some substance in this being the final dance for Ruth. In other words, this is nothing short of a masterpiece and those of you who can't see it should visit the optician to get a new pair of spectacles.

But - truth be told, this is such a great record that even if the whole troupe would just do a handstand for 3 minutes, I'd probably still be rating it

10 / 10

DotD: Cherry

P.S.: Even Paul Weller & The Style Council once performed a live version of this song, as if any more proof was needed
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: HARVEST FOR THE WORLD

Update--Its now my understanding, through inquiries ive made since this thread was started that the lady partnered up with Floid is indeed Ruth. So 85 days after `Silver Star`, she made one final appearance.

Re: HARVEST FOR THE WORLD

VintageVideos
Great to know, Ryan. It was pretty obvious that the dancing skills of Floid's partner were way above average, but unfortunately the camera didn't get close enough to be sure.
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: HARVEST FOR THE WORLD

Wow a 10 from Vin then the news that Ruth did indeed appear in Harvest for the World with Ruby Flipper, further extending her TOTP tenure.  Thanks for that Ryan.  I'm sure that will spur on some more comments from our readers

Re: HARVEST FOR THE WORLD

bucksby
I like the song, I remember the Christians' version in 1988 well. I do like the routine it is simplistic but it works in particular I like the shots of the audience clapping along. I think Sue, Patti & Cheri's outfits  are great. DOTD is tough but going to go for Patti for this. routine an 8

Re: HARVEST FOR THE WORLD

PaulF
Thanks Ryan, Ruth's raunchiness is unmistakeable.
Paul

Re: HARVEST FOR THE WORLD

My oculist hasn't yet been able to squeeze me in to her busy schedule but even with the old pair of specs I've noticed that I didn't choose a Dotd and so I'm voting for Sue, who's outfit for some reason brings to mind many a happy hour spent in Montmartre.

Re: HARVEST FOR THE WORLD

Andeebee
One of the better audience interactive dance routines, who is betting they were already picked anyway and not at random, hence the incision of the lovely Ruth and the giant that is DLT.

The lighting and overlayering is too much for my knackered eyes, but the song is great, I too remember the Christians version (but not a patch on this version).

It evokes a party atmosphere (no not the Russ Abbot kind or the Hurll tenure of TOTP (Sic)) and looks like a lot of fun to me (wish I was in the audience and picked for this)

Top notch fun performance, and one of the better Flipper routine, the missing Flipper was not missed...the dresses are fun, right amount of leg work and Floid is still annoying.

Scores - 9.5 (dropped for the murkiness)

DOTD: mmm Ruth or DLT???? nope chalk one up for the divine Susan

Re: HARVEST FOR THE WORLD

PattiForPM
Thanks again lads.  I agree these audience members look better rehearsed than usual ADB.  Oh and SF I think your eyes are fine judging by some of the Easter Eggs you have spotted in the past.  Anyone else want to join the discussion on this interesting performance?

Re: HARVEST FOR THE WORLD

Doubleday
I like it, personally, and Cherry is fantastic especially on the dais at the start ... I think she did her best work with Ruby Flipper. The black and white costumes are quite clever, it's putting Philip in silver trousers that really is the last resort of the choreographer. Interested that Ruth does a cameo ... I'm not sure it stopped there, as there's a performance by Mud where an audience member is roped in who looks very Ruth-like. I'll say 8/10 deducting a point for DLT's wretched hoodie, and favourite dancer Cherry. (That's not Flick dancing with Philip at the end, is it? Was Elvis an alien after all?).

Re: HARVEST FOR THE WORLD

Again its my understanding from my very good source that the only time Ruth made it onto the TOTPs studio floor during Ruby/Legs time was in `HFTW`. All the other times she would be confined to the side lines, the make up department or the dressing room monitor.

Re: HARVEST FOR THE WORLD

Doubleday
Thanks, Ryan, by gum we certainly get the inside track on this forum ... and glad someone else likes this dance. Is there good and bad music for dance (apart from er, Stockhausen)? What makes it good or bad (theme? tempo?). Is there music people like that's no good for dance? Discuss (please write on only one side of the board ).