HEART OF GLASS -- [February]

HEART OF GLASS Dance/performance number 149 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Blondie  reaching number 1 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  01/02/79  Duration of dance 2.45 mins
Dancers -- Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Sue      133
Pauline 132
Patti     129
Rosie    129
Gill       126
Lulu      124
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26p0mj_legs-co-heart-of-glass-totp-tx-01-02-1979_creation

Legs & Co perform to the first of the two Blondie songs that they danced to in 1979 and its a real belter. This just ticks all the boxes for me. The song itself is great, New Wave meets Disco so to speak and richly deserved to find its way to the top of the charts.

The routine that Flick has devised for us gives us plenty of close-ups of our favourite gals. Isn't it great to have a routine with no annoying overlays or fade-outs. The split screen works really well for me, though i do admit to having to crick my neck a bit to ogle the dancers on some of the diagonal shots. But really there is nothing to grumble about on this. I like the way the girls have different costumes, and its difficult to know who looks best in them with my eyes flitting about all over the screen. The black and white set also works well. As i eluded to yesterday poor Gill had a moment towards the end of the routine when she was leading the line and fluffed the ending. Was that a naughty word she uttered, my lip reading skills leave a lot to be desired though.

Im hoping this routine will end up in the the upper echelons of our Creme de la creme table, but you guys may see it differently. For this one i cant award anything less than `10 out of 10`.

For my dancer of the day, gee whizz, so difficult but once again im swayed by the smiling `Pauline`.

Re: HEART OF GLASS -- [February]

Paperboyplod
This is how you really do it, making a dance routine all about the dancers, I like how the costumes look similar, at a glance, but upon closer inspection, there's subtle differences with the apparels of each of the dancers, all wearing black, but ranging from being in almost a full body suit, to really pushing the boundaries of pre-watershed television, & very nice too.
The split screens also really do the business here, the set's fairly plain-looking, but it's well-lit, & the ladies are very good, with their high-kicks, Rosie, especially so, there's a lot of different things happening, & one really should watch this performance at least a good few times, & you'll most probably see some things that you'd missed with your previous viewings.

9/10

DotD:-

Rosie

Re: HEART OF GLASS -- [February]

Gorgeous Daze
PBP - will you ever convert to decimal currency?

Re: HEART OF GLASS -- [February]

Colm
So good to see this in crisp and clear quality last night. There's so much here to enjoy, and it's nice that all the girls get a chance to lead throughout the routine. Despite Gill's lapse (and what she says in the aftermath), the girls are on top form here, and the marvellous movement really fits with the stunning sound and the outstanding outfits.

DotD: All six are A1 contenders, but for those stunning high kicks, I'm going for Rosie

Score: Go on then... 10

Re: HEART OF GLASS -- [February]

I love this dance routine,i think it's a classic.It's inventive,stylish and exciting to watch.I watched both TOTP shows yesterday so i could watch this on a big screen.The set and the split-screens all looked great.The different costumes are all great,but i especially love the spangly pants and halter-top.Even Gill's mistake doesn't spoil anything for me.10/10.
DotD:the wonderful Miss Hetherington.

Re: HEART OF GLASS -- [February]

Adorable Gillusion
10/10   DOTD...Gill

Re: HEART OF GLASS -- [February]

Doc
My initial impression is wow! Ratings to follow...
Still living in 1979

Re: HEART OF GLASS -- [February]

Doc
A cracking routine that is worthy of gracing an excellent No.1. The split screen is good, there's plenty of close ups, the lighting is good, the outfits are stunning. I think that's enough reasons to give it 10/10.
They all deserve Dotd here as they all look stunning, but for a fabulous moody look to go with her more normal smile it just has to be Rosemary!
Still living in 1979

Re: HEART OF GLASS -- [February]

Yes this classic Blondie anthem needed a fine Dance to accompany it and Flick and her Troupe obliged.  Absolutely eye-catching costumes and a fine varied performance as everyone has already said.  It's hard to fault this in any way and why am I even trying?  It's very difficult to single out any one Dancer too but, tempted as I am to vote for the lovely Patti or the more serious than usual Rosie, it is Sue who looks the most ravishing to me this time and her dancing is as immaculate as ever so she is my DotD.  The mark?  Well this is not in my Top 5 for 1979 but it's not the only 10/10  outside it either!  Now I'm off to watch it again

Re: HEART OF GLASS -- [February]

Suefan
This is a corker of a song and Flick and the girls deliver a corker of a routine to match.  The similar, yet nicely varied costumes, the effective use of the split screen, and above all the splendid delivery (aside from the odd blips from both girls when leading the line) make this dance a real winner although, so strong is 1979, that it won't make my eventual top 5 for the year either.   Even so this get a maximum 10 from me.

Despite her blip, and subsequent faux pas, I'm very tempted to choose Gill for Dotd as she absolutely nails the mood of the piece, but then so do both Rosie and Sue so I'll stay true to form and pick Sue.

Re: HEART OF GLASS -- [February]

This is the fifth routine of 79. And we come in to the start the proper chart song of that year. So the ladies and Flick, start off with a classic routine. To the brilliant Blonde hit, Heart of Glass. The set is black and white check floor and white flats around them. The ladies are wearing black sparkly costumes that suits the set. We have Sue in a leotard, Lulu in a Black sparkly Bikini top and hot pants. Rosie in a bikini top and tight trousers. Gill is wearing a black halter top with tight trousers. Then we have the twin costumes worn by Patti and Pauline. With the left leg missing from Patti costume and right from Pauline's. We have wonderful close ups of the ladies. We have great direction by Flick from the gallery, with split screen effects through out the routine. This is the kind of routine you can watch again and see different thing every time.

We now come to the Dotd, very difficult because all the ladies are brilliant, but I must go for Sue. Just a great professional dancer.

So the score is 10 out of 10.

Re: HEART OF GLASS -- [February]

PattiforPM
Watch out Cerrone, Deb and the boys want that crown

Re: HEART OF GLASS -- [February]

PaulF
Wow this one slipped under my radar. This is exactly the type of routines I enjoy, all of our girls given equal billing and great performances to a decent song with no distractions. A very rare 10/10 from me.

Very difficult to name a DOTD so I have decided to revert to my default fav Sue.
Paul

Re: HEART OF GLASS -- [February]

VintageVideos
I'm struggling to say anything that hasn't yet been said... This is everything a great routine should be! A 10 if ever there was one. And Pauline as DotD (but to be fair it could have been anyone else).

Re: HEART OF GLASS -- [February]

Everything has been said, but what a corker (even better on DM now - Ryan needs to replace the linkage)..

The one leg leotards, the looks, the crisp set ( I watched this bout 5 times before sleep grabbed me), I really can't say no more except

Scores on my door's - 10/10 (wouldn't grant it anything less)

DOTD: oh so hard, but just for the determined face and bikini tube and sparkly trousers - Rosemary

Watching this is like opening 6 lady shaped presents on Christmas Morning.....

Re: HEART OF GLASS -- [February]

Lookmacinanger
Well for me this was the finest 2mins 45 secs of sound and vision ever shown on this long running pop chart show. It dazzles me like seeing the corona from a solar eclipse everytime I watch it. Everyone involved from chorography through to costume and set design must have been infused by the sound of this memorable trans Atlantic number one track that Heart of Glass achieved and it's intoxicating mix of new wave and disco sound that inspired Legs and Co raise the bar once again. 10/10, Dotd Lulu

Re: HEART OF GLASS -- [February]

JEZ
i think im going with the majority this week ,but only because i think it deserves a 10 just like sunday girl and call me

Re: HEART OF GLASS -- [February]

Gorgeous Daze
The monochrome set design here is derived from Parallel Lines. Lit unsparingly, it has a clean, ultra-modern look, and with the tilted camera angles it intentionally or not reflects the artistic milieu from which Blondie emerged. With the split screen you find your eyes switching between shots and you're forced to compromise and miss parts of the routine. Few people had video recorders at the time so it couldn't be fully appreciated. But here in the future the choice of shots is a hefty two-for-the-price-of-one bonus to be viewed how and as often as we like. And who could ever tire of this masterpiece?

Heart Of Glass is an innovative classic that beats by some way Blondie's over-achieving next Number 1. And everything about this routine matches up to it. The variations-on-a-theme costumes are killers. The dancing is focussed, cool, and sexy. Showing the train full and side-on is inspired. There are close-ups and shares of the limelight for all the girls. I love it when they shimmer as one with the sequencer. In fact I find every moment riveting. Sometimes overlays work, sometimes they have a negative impact. But this is such a success it's positively refreshing to note the absence of the blighters.

We've noticed a boob or two from Gill...but this is not one to nit-pick over. It has 10/10 stamped all over it.

DOTD? All of them. But if I'm pushed, Patti.

Re: HEART OF GLASS -- [February]

All the scoreboards have been updated with the ratings for `Heart Of Glass`. Thanks to everyone who have taken part, i think you will find the scoreboards vastly changed at the top since you last looked

Re: HEART OF GLASS -- [February]

Old Grey Whistler
Many times in the past, we have had some potentially classic routines spoilt by either poor camera work, lighting or set design, however for this performance everything comes together beautifully  and fused with a classic song, it is a sure fire winner.
I suppose to be hyper critical I could point to Gills minor blip which has been previously referred to, however it is not that easy to spot and doesn't spoil the dance in any way.
I had already decided on my score before I read any of the other reviews, so I am not just jumping on the bandwagon with my score of 10 out of 10. I simply can't think of a reason to deduct any marks.
They all perform brilliantly but Rosie catches my eye the most and gets DOTD.