HEART ON MY SLEEVE

 Heart on My Sleeve was composed by Scots duo Benny Gallagher and Graham Lyle and was on the successful Album Breakaway.  This songwriting couple (non-biblically) were employed by the Beatles’ Company Apple in 1968 and were also in the McGuinness Flint Band which scored a 1970 UK Hit with “When I’m Dead and Gone.”  Over the years Gallagher and Lyle have worked with many top music acts from the UK and USA.  Notably Mr Lyle co-wrote Tina Turner’s “What’s Love Got to Do with it” and “We Don’t Need Another Hero”  The phrase Heart on My Sleeve may originate from the Middle ages when jousting Knights wore their Lady’s colours on their sleeves but it was first found in Shakespeare’s Othello when the nasty Iago gets to say it.

            HEART ON MY SLEEVE    -  Gallagher and Lyle                           June 3rd 1976

                                  DANCERS:       Cherry, Floid, Phil, Sue

     LINK: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26anxg_ruby-flipper-heart-on-my-sleeve-totp-tx-03-06-1976_creation

  First of all I must say that this was the best surprise of the whole BBC4 TOTP Repeat Season to date as I see it, given that most of us thought this was a lost performance until it appeared on TV.  This Song and Dance are very smooth and the setting seems to me to suggest two couples on a cruise visiting a Tropical Island and dancing the night away.  I really like all the performances and I think the Phil and Sue team is a match made in Heaven.  Not to say that Cherry and Floid don’t do very well too but there’s just greater chemistry and artistry in the other couple as this viewer sees it.  I love Sue’s long legs as she dances backwards across the stage and I love Cherry’s little smile and headscarf but more than anything I love the way the whole Production comes together.  I am giving 10/10 and I thought long and hard about whether to give the DotD to Sue or Phil but in the end Sue will not be denied.  Perhaps you think differently…..

Re: HEART ON MY SLEEVE

I really love this one, but would like to rewatch it before I give a rating (and choose a DotD). Unfortunately it is blocked here so I have to wait until I get home.
It was a very nice surprise indeed to see this routine (even though the "Whole Lotta Love" dancers compilation on the BBC TOTP 40th anniversary DVD already included a part of it but noone seemed to know that). I love Gallagher & Lyle and this song has always been a favourite of mine since it hit the airwaves in the hot summer of 1976. So expect a high rating from me!
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: HEART ON MY SLEEVE

PattiForPM
Yes I have high hopes for this one Vin.  Sorry you're blocked.  Can you see the version on the Blog here by any chance?

http://legsandco.blogspot.com/2010/02/ruby-flipper-heaven-must-be-missing.html

Oh dear I just noticed this Blog link doesn't work for me either! Can anyone else access it or is it broken?

Re: HEART ON MY SLEEVE

VintageVideos
Surely you meant this one:

http://legsandco.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/ruby-flipper-heart-on-my-sleeve.html

but it doesn't work here either.
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: HEART ON MY SLEEVE

PattiForPM
LOL Yes I did and no it doesn't!

Re: HEART ON MY SLEEVE

Paperboyplod
I guess that Gavin wasn't available to participate, & so the dynamics of the rest of the group mean't that two of the girls couldn't be there either, as there could only be mixed-gender couples obviously for this routine based aroung two couples dancing around to a love song, but at least what we have works fairly well, couples swap partners, & Phil, greedily takes both Sue & Cherry, at one point, proving himself to really be, quite literally, one of the lads.
There's clearly no formal dress-code, everybody's attired differently, & all looks quite easy-going.

8/10

DotD:-

Sue

Re: HEART ON MY SLEEVE

Where to award the most praise? Cherry is cute as always and slinky and svelte. Floid does a nice solo turn mid-way through and is in cheerful sing-along mood throughout. Phil is a great counterfoil and I really like his dynamic with his female partner...

...who gets my DotD honour - Sue, resplendent in peach and full of grace and glamour.

My score on the door: 8.5

Re: HEART ON MY SLEEVE

JEZ
This was the dance that had me trying to guess from a very brief snippet i had but no sound to the clip on the totp 40th anniversary for a couple of years ,i remember me telling the forum that there was definitley a ruby flipper routine that the bbc had got that none of us had seen before the totp repeat ,all i could tell people that was it included gold palm trees and the 4 dancers, i remember me and carl trying to guess what it might be ,so it was good after a couple of years trying to guess what song the clip was from, to actually have confirmation of the correct tune ,anyway the dance is a very good one ,the stage setting definitley fits the mood of the song ,and the song is a nice tune ,earning the dance a 8.5 from me

Re: HEART ON MY SLEEVE

Yes this was a terrific surprise when BBC4 came up with the goods for this one. June 13th, 2011 at 7.40 in the evening, a rush of adrenalin hit me seeing this for the first time. Id convinced myself we were not going to be viewing this, so grateful to the Beeb for airing it.

The routine has such a Summer feel to it. Can almost imagine them sipping Pimms on the lawn and going for a game of Tennis, mixed doubles of course. Quite a master stroke from Flick to only include four dancers here, i think 3 pairs would have made the set too cluttered, and she got the pairings spot on. I agree Sue & Phil do dance well together, so do Cherry & Floid, maybe its that i spend most of my time on this watching the `Peachy Goddess`.

Dancer of the day, sorry boys its not you. On any other day lovely Cherry would have got the nod from me. But this is just another routine that Sue quite frankly owned, just a shame it was looked away the BBC vault for 35 years.

DOTD-Sue

Rating, well for making me jump around my front room two years ago like a excited kid at Christmas, and then for the faultless, well executed, delightful routine, i see no reason not to award this `10 out of 10`.

Re: HEART ON MY SLEEVE

Now your talking.  My favourite Ruby F routine by a country mile.  With more dances like this one then perhaps the Flippers would have remained for a little longer as this is the tops.  It has elegance and artistry, a masterly routine superbly executed which deserves a 10.
And for dancer of the day I'd like to choose both Sue and Phil for in a dance such as this you can't have one without the other.  (Well you can try but then you just end up with Rock With Me.)

Re: HEART ON MY SLEEVE

Who's That Hurll
As the sun sets over Bridgetown, two pairs of holidaymakers have descended from their apartments  onto the patio to waltz their way through  the night. The outfits are colourful and well chosen and the skyline is atmospheric. A mature and classy performance.

8.5/10. DOTD  Sue.
WTH

Re: HEART ON MY SLEEVE

PattiForPM
Thanks for all the Comments chaps.  I do recall Jez doing what Ryan and I might have to referred to in the past as "rattling on" about some palm trees in the background of an unknown routine and as usual the man was bang on the mark.  Moving on, I see quite high marks so far as I rather expected for this polished performance.  I have decided to allow a half vote each for Sue and Phil from SF just as I did for FloidFan once and to extend this privilege to everyone else on a once only basis so you all have one split vote you may award at some time during the whole RF lexicon and I will be keeping count.  As I have said on the RF DotD Thread I know this is rather arbitrary behaviour on my part and I don't expect my Legs & Co and Pans People Co-Hosts to follow suit on this little peccadillo.  Now let's hear some more opinions on the last two couples in Paradise if you will......

Re: HEART ON MY SLEEVE

Lookmacinanger
I’m left underwhelmed by this performance as there should have been so much more on offer from Ruby Flipper. Alas they played it safe and went predictably with two couples, I would have rather everyone was involved and set the scene at a party and let the routine flow from there. Not sure about how the boys were dressed as Phil reminds me of a character from the Carry On films with his slicked back hair and his spats shoes. Poor team selection leaving Patti and Lulu on the subs bench (not sure if Gavin was still even in the squad by this time). A good track by Gallagher and Lyle, Cherry and Sue look great and each of them turn in a good performance. 6/10 Dotd, Cherry

Re: HEART ON MY SLEEVE

PattiForPM
Interesting perspective Mac.  I always wonder about the "absent friends factor" in these reduced personnel Dances and whether to deduct marks but this was one of the few times I actually didn't miss Patti and Lulu as much myself (hard for me to admit this!) although I certainly see your point about the party possibilities on the Tropical Resort on view.   This is a good illustrration for me of how it helps to see these Dances from different view points.

Re: HEART ON MY SLEEVE

Old Bill
I'm with Mac here - I just don't get this one. It's all very pleasant and laid-back but it doesn't really do much for me.

Nice solo from Floid, nice duet from Phil and Sue and some nice smiles from Cherry.

I don't really like the girls' shapeless flapper-style dresses although they do show off the legs nicely.

I have no idea about the set, I guess it does fit with the song tho.

I'm in the minority here so maybe I'm missing something, it's a lovely song but not a dancer.

6/10 and Sue DotD for the nice duet.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: HEART ON MY SLEEVE

Excellent song by G&L, definitely one of their best, with additional vocals by Andy Fairweather Low, and great lyrics as well. It was very exciting indeed when it was announced that BBC4 would repeat this episode, and I remember there seemed to be some caution if this would really happen as some people thought this episode had been wiped.

When it was aired the dance certainly did not disappoint, a very relaxed performance reflecting the mood of the hot summer of 1976. I was tempted to deduct half a point for Floid's mouthing the lyrics, something I don't like at all here, but in the end I just couldn't award anything less than

10 / 10

DotD: Sue

Sue could have done a cracker of a solo dance to this record I believe, but I won't complain.

This was the second 10 I gave for a RF performance but there are still a few more to come (including one 11!)
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: HEART ON MY SLEEVE

PattiForPM
Much appreciated OB and Vin.  This Dance has certainly brought out some opinions about the ideal number of Dancers to be used.  As far as we know they were all available as Gavin still had 6 weeks to go in his short TOTP run and both Patti and Lulu were in the Shows previous to and after this so it seems likely that Flick chose the four participants on purpose.  I didn't expect this to be an issue TBH as I thought the foursome worked brilliantly but it is interesting to consider the possibility of this as a solo or full company effort too.  Who else has two cents to contribute I wonder?

Re: HEART ON MY SLEEVE

As you find on the YT channel, about 95% of Ruby routines are grossly under watched, last week this particular routine had a measly 80 views.

Not sure why, as it is one of my favourite Flipper routines, and rightly so it deserves a whopping 10/10 for me

DOTD: well I wear my heart on my sleeve for the young and lovely Miss Menhenick, now really wishing this was a beach scene and cocktails - perfect.

Re: HEART ON MY SLEEVE

Varied opinions are often more interesting to read compared to a chorus of acclaim or condemnation, even when one disagrees with them, although in my view criticising the team selection here does rather miss the point.  As the Flippers were only into week five of their run I would imagine that Flick was still experimenting with different line ups and groupings.  The following week there was no sign of either Cherry or Sue while Patti had a solo and Lulu went all Continental so they didn't sit on the subs bench for long.

Re: HEART ON MY SLEEVE

Methinks this one's standing is boosted by its surprise emergence during the repeats. However, having initially been underwhelmed and left wondering why all the hyperbole, I must say it gets better with every play.

To begin with a drawback, I find it a bit Abigail's Party. The middle class sophisticate's alternative to Y Viva Espana; two 'aspirational' couples on their continental holiday dancing in the twilight after dinner. The dress is true to the occasion, the boys self-consciously smart-casual, the girls' otherwise conservative attire enlivened by those daring splits. I wonder if they're going to be wife swapping later? It's becoming quite the thing in Suburbia. But inverted snobbery aside, this is such a tasteful and deftly executed routine. Even if Floid's mouthing the words tarnishes the grace a little. It suits the song down to the ground, with especial regard to the gentle airy tones of the accordion, which one can easily imagine being carried on a delicate breeze from a restaurant to its patio where they're dancing. The backdrop is a little curious. Fluffy clouds above a street-lit town with a (at one point bi-located) preternaturally large moon. And pitch blackness on either side. But it works well by giving a slightly dream-like, idealistic, portrayal of the perfect evening. I think making it a foursome was the right decision. Another couple would've diluted the romantic essence.

You can't have yin without yang, so damn it I think this will prove to be as appropriate a routine as any to play my shared DOTD Joker.  Phil and Sue.

8.75/10.