HEAVEN MUST BE MISSING AN ANGEL

Heaven Must be Missing an Angel is a song written by Freddie Perren (one of the Motown Corporation writers) and Keni St Lewis (another successful writer who was responsible for other big hits such as I Will Survive).  It was recorded by the Tavares, a group of five brothers nicknamed Ralph, Pooch, Chubby, Butch and Tiny.  Personally I like Ralph’s name best.  The brothers are of Cape Verdean/American origin and lived in Massachusetts.   Cape Verde is an archipelago off the West African coast and is a stable democracy now but was previously important in the Slave Trade and was colonized by the Portuguese, attacked by Sir Francis Drake and visited by Charles Darwin.  Getting back on track, the song has some killer lyrics like “You Came C.O.D. on a Moonbeam Straight to Me” and “When You’re Layin on my Pillow Baby, above Your Head there’s a Halo.”  It reached #15 on the Billboard Hot 100 and was #1 in the Netherlands.  The Tavares went on to contribute their version of More than a Woman to the Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack (which Legs & Co interpreted in 1978) and four of the lads are apparently still on tour.

             HEAVEN MUST BE MISSING AN ANGEL     -   Tavares                            July 15th 1976

                                DANCERS:      Cherry, Floid, Gavin, Lulu, Patti, Phil, Sue

                              LINK:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub6oFeICmGk

  This Dance embodies the Blog view of the dancers with the boys as Devils and the ladies as Angels (Just kidding).  Of course the Devils start off tormenting the poor timid angels but the ladies gradually gain confidence and the screenshot shows Cherry putting paid to Floid’s ambitions with her friends all helping too.  At the end they all make friends, bop together and live happily ever after (until October).  Personally this is not one of my favourites really as I’m a bit lukewarm about the song, the dancing doesn't really set me alight and there’s a little too much fog but the dancers all play their parts and YMG was right to highlight the apprehensive angels at the beginning and I think Lulu captures this part the best.   Overall I just find it all a bit too sugary sweet although the ladies certainly look lovely in their angel outfits.   I am awarding  6.5/10  for this and I think Lulu is the most angelic so she gets my DotD although all the ladies are heavenly in their own way.  Tell me what you think please

Re: HEAVEN MUST BE MISSING AN ANGEL

Paperboyplod
This routine's executed very well indeed, the angels from heaven, battling the evil demons from hell, & eventually dancing with them towards the end, was a nice twist, yeah what we have here's most probably the most sexist of routines, & the dry ice tends to dominate at times, but I've really enjoyed watching it, & I'll continue to do so, when I feel like doing it.

9/10

DotD:-

Cherry

Re: HEAVEN MUST BE MISSING AN ANGEL

Now this is more like it.  Flick takes full advantage of the opportunities in having a mixed troupe and provides an insightful critique on the importance of gender influence in society.
On the other hand she may have heard the song, had a great idea for an amusing and visually interesting dance routine, and devised another winner.  All the angels and devils deliver, and Sue's enthusiastic skirt spinning towards the end inevitably catches my eye, but it is Lulu and Cherry that get the best business.  So I'm picking the initially insouciant Lulu for Dotd with the routine getting my second Ruby 10.

Re: HEAVEN MUST BE MISSING AN ANGEL

Colm
Dare I say it, but the girls play the angel roles divinely - and the guys the devils so affably. So what if the theme is way too obvious? It's fun and lively, just like the song itself.

Dancer of the Day: For not letting her halo slip - and for also guiding Gavin through his final Flipping moments - it's the delightful Patti

Score: 8

Re: HEAVEN MUST BE MISSING AN ANGEL

  Yes this is another from the catelogue of fine routines by Ruby Flipper and there isn't much not to like. Very catchy song, even if Noel didn't seem to think so when he first heard it.
  Poor Gavin though. What a way to finish his brief 10 performance TOTPs career, with his `halo well and truly slipped`. The poor boy can hardly see towards the end of the routine. Wonder if he saw the funny side of that as he emptied his locker and said goodbye.
  As for DOTD, well im sorry to say Sue & Patti have been out-angelled by Cherry & Lulu, who both look uber cute. Its hard to split them, so i will make a controversial decision. After reading about Cherry's downbeat assessment of her time in Ruby towards the end of the Pans book and that she really didn't think much of Flipper dance troupe as a whole then i wont waste my vote on her again. Indeed if ive ever voted for her in past routines? So my DOTD is `Lulu`

An entertaining three minutes with a decent song with well thought out choreography. Not quite a max for me, so will give it `9 out of 10`.

(Yes, i can imagine the tuts of derision over why i didn't pick Cherry)

Re: HEAVEN MUST BE MISSING AN ANGEL

PattiForPM
Well I must say I'm a little surprised that this is more popular that I thought but I'm pleased too that others have appreciated the fun and straightforward theme here that your cynical host eschewed.   Yes and thanks for reminding us Ryan that this was Gavin's last hurrah as I should have mentioned this too.  I actually preferred the six-person version of Ruby Flipper myself but would have cried when Cherry left had I been sensible enough to have been paying attention in 1976.  Anyway thanks for the votes chaps, even though it makes me look a little miserly.  Speaking of which I hope there are other willing voters out there...

Re: HEAVEN MUST BE MISSING AN ANGEL

VintageVideos
This is the kind of routine we'd only see from Ruby Flipper. Custom tailored for the boys and girls, it's a very literal performance, but so what? It's lively and fun(ny) and a fine way to spend three minutes of your time. I think the song is ok, even if a bit cheesy, but it has a good disco rhythm and a melody that keeps haunting you for quite a while afterwards. Surprisingly it was a much bigger hit in the UK than in the States where Tavares hit the Top 10 only once with "It Only Takes A Minute" (covered quite distinctively by Jonathan King in the UK - Lulu's guesting there is still something to look forward to, will she better Tina & Floid's average?).

9 / 10

DotD: Lulu
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: HEAVEN MUST BE MISSING AN ANGEL

PattiForPM
Thanks for your comments Vin.  Interesting point about Tina and Floid vs Lulu and Mr King but I think Lulu's charisma will easily carry the day despite her infamous doubles partner.  Once again I think I have underestimated the power of the Supernatural, always a danger for us Agnostics.  HMBMAA obviously has much more appeal than I realized and I look forward to more of your comments folks

Re: HEAVEN MUST BE MISSING AN ANGEL

PaulF
Nice fun performance, girls doing their angelic best against the evil men devils. 7.5/10

DOTD Who can resist the sweet innocent angelic Lulu with a halo!
Paul

Re: HEAVEN MUST BE MISSING AN ANGEL

Andeebee
Nice all round class routine from the dying days of Ruby Flipper, I think the angel costumes were reused for 'You'll never get To Heaven'

Nice take on the track, the girls as angels and the boys as devils, would it been better if it was the other way round??

Top notch classic from Tavares, and one of my favourite disco numbers from '76.

If I meet my maker i hope to see these angelic visions of loveliness at the gate

Difficult to decide on who to pick for DOTD for this, really hard decision between Lulu & Cherry, oh heck I'll pick Lulu

Scores on ADB's door: 10/10

Re: HEAVEN MUST BE MISSING AN ANGEL

Dotd: Lulu.
Sandy Borne Appreciation Society

Re: HEAVEN MUST BE MISSING AN ANGEL

Andeebee wrote
Sounds like cross-dressing hell !

Re: HEAVEN MUST BE MISSING AN ANGEL

PattiForPM
Thanks ADB, Doc and PaulF for your comments.  I actually rather like the idea that the ladies could have played impish devilettes and the lads could have been angelic choirboys or disciples perhaps.  Could have made for an interesting and slightly controversial performance.  Anyway in my haste I completely missed Ryan's interesting comment about Cherry and her attitude to RF.  I also think Cherry was the most vociferous about the limits the BBC put on Pans People and Flick too and there is an undercurrent there that she found this personally very frustrating.  I just think she's a free spirit who totally speaks her mind and I respect her for it although it is surprising if she feels that Ruby Flipper was a negative experience given that it represented such a bold and adventurous step by Flick and Ruth.  Anyway I do hope it won't stop all votes in favour of Cherry who is such a fine Dancer.  Speaking of votes, are there more to come because I do hope so....

Re: HEAVEN MUST BE MISSING AN ANGEL

Ive always had a downer on Cherry being a member of Ruby Flipper, as ive eluded too quite often in past. Her quotes in the book only confirm this more, that really her heart wasn't in the project and quite frankly she was taking a spot in the dance troupe that could have been filled by a dancer who wanted the gig.

Re: HEAVEN MUST BE MISSING AN ANGEL

Andeebee
I was alarmed at the comments, and it showed as she left very quickly into the Ruby gig, robbing maybe Lee or Mary of a place in Flipper, it's pretty unforgivable, but she had her reasons to do it.

Re: HEAVEN MUST BE MISSING AN ANGEL

PattiForPM
I understand your sentiments chaps.  Cherry's comments are harsh to say the least.  I think she was at a crossroads in her career and I think she is dismissing Ruby Flipper much too easily but I suppose she is entitled to her opinion.  Throughout the book she comes across as a rather outspoken lady in comparison to her warm friendly colleagues but maybe we shouldn't judge based on this little information

Re: HEAVEN MUST BE MISSING AN ANGEL

I don't know about Mary or Lee being in RF, but Cherry's comments about her feelings on all things Flipper left me a bit cold. I guess to her it was a stepping stone to her next rung on the entertainment ladder. Sorry for digressing of topic P4PM.

Re: HEAVEN MUST BE MISSING AN ANGEL

Andeebee
That's what I was gonna say Ryan

Ok fair weather has returned to Flipperland; now let's hear some more of those finely judged comments as we really have to get this ancient tale of good against evil into double figures

Re: HEAVEN MUST BE MISSING AN ANGEL

PattiForPM
Anyone looking to obtain that prestigious #10 spot commenting on this Morality Tale?