HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT -- 02/01/1975

HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT -- 02/01/1975

Help Me Make It Through The Night
Performed by John Holt and reaching number 6 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 02/01/1975 Duration of dance - 2.58 mins
Dancers: Babs, Cherry, Ruth, Sue
A link to the dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_PqoBobpeI

Some songs seem to get covered again and again. This Kris Kristofferson penned ballad is a good example. Originally released by the man himself in 1970, the long list of artists who also recorded it includes Elvis Presley, Joan Baez, Bryan Ferry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Olivia Newton-John, Andy Williams and of course Gladys Knight & The Pips who took it to No. 11 in 1972. The most successful version though (in the UK at least) was released in 1974 by Jamaican reggae singer John Holt. Taken from his 1973 album "1,000 Volts of Holt", "Help Me Make It…" was an instant success in the UK charts, peaking at No. 6 in January 1975. One of only two reggae songs in the Top 30 at the time (the other being Ken Boothe's "Crying Over You"), this interpretation clearly appealed to the broader masses and not just to the dreadlocks.

Pan's People danced to this song as a foursome in early January 1975 (sans Dee Dee), and their collective invitation is definitely hard to resist. The performance is very sensual with small gestures, sensuous moves, mobile expressions and many close-ups. Though I'm not the biggest fan of the blurring effects, here they are used in an unobtrusive way and don't detract from my viewing pleasure. Not quite sure what to think of their clothes, and Babs hair does get in the way a few times.

Despite some minor flaws, this is still one of my absolute favourites and once I start playing this routine, I keep pushing the repeat button over and over. Because of this, my rating for this routine is no less than 10 out of 10.

As Dancer of the Day I could have chosen any of the girls with all those lovely close-ups, but there is just one whose offer is particularly hard to withstand. Her facial expressions in this performance are just marvellous, that's why I find her simply irresistible. The dancer is Ruth and she will be my DotD.

Re: HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT -- 1975

Now your talking VV.  The first of a run of great dances and lets hope that the recently announced find includes the following three weeks, cartwheels and all.  "Help Me..." is a fine song in my book and this is an even better dance with the crushed velvet top coats coupled to those psychedelic pants providing a great look.  'Perfect Pans' and the opening few bars, from when Sue takes that ribbon until she crooks her finger, are one of the best starts to any dance routine I know.  And the rest of the dance isn't half bad either.  As for a DotD, very difficult as always as Babs is good, recalcitrant hair and all; Ruth shines in that sultry Mediterranean way she has, and Cherry mixes innocence, coquettishness and allure in her usual heady way, but I'm predictably choosing Sue.  Aside from her consummate dance ability when on top form, as she is here, Sue has that way of connecting both with the performance and with the audience as her dramatic sense is spot on.  So a 10 from me with Sue as my DotD.

Re: HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT -- 1975

Old Bill
Ahhhh the boyish excitement on the Auzzie sailor's face says it all!

A fine strutting funky groove this one which is mainly based around arms & shoulders giving a vaguely middle-eastern feel, and the the velvet tops and psychedelic trousers give it a very 60s look.
It's not the most pacey or demanding dance, but this gives the awesome foursome time to look calm and relaxing, alluring and at their most friendliness. It's almost as if they're inviting us to dance with them in a "come on in! the water's lovely!" way.

Like it as I do, I'm not quite so enthralled by it as VV and Suefan. I don't really like the "hand-winding-up" movements that go on a bit too long around 1'55". And is there a soft-focus effect in the bottom 1/4 of the screen? Or is it the YT version? Or my eyes?
So don't call me a meanie if I only give it an 8/10. Only! 8/10's still pretty good surely?!

The DotD... could be Sue, could be Cherry. This bit when they look at each other is wonderful.

But I'm going to plump for Cherry, her cool charm and warm allure with just a hint of aloofness which is then broken with a little half-smile or most subtle of looks win me over today.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT -- 1975

Suefan
I wouldn't call you a meanie for your 8 OB as its a good score.  Perhaps the inclusion of the word 'night' in the song title was incentive enough to use a bit of soft focus.

Re: HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT -- 1975

I like this one too.  It might well be the best Reggae Dance of all beating Midnight Rider and even Uptown Top Ranking in my estimation.  I do like the smooth brown tops and the close ups of these ladies are very good indeed.  A couple of small detractions for me are the slightly intrusive hand movements that OB mentions and also this is that vanishingly rare example for me of the exquisite Cherry having a facial expression I'm not too keen on; to me it appears she is almost self-satisfied here but then I was not impressed by the Mona Lisa when I saw it either!  As for DotD I have to give it to Sue, who is just immaculate.  I must say those two teens were just peerless at this stage in their career and of course they were fully "warmed up" for the classic coming in a mere two more weeks.  Score 9/10

Re: HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT -- 1975

bucksby
Strangely enough I am not keen on the song (or even Gladys Knight's version) but the dance is great and the girls look fantastic. I Love Sue's hair! Tough picking a dancer of the day as they are all on form but I will go for Sue. overall an 8 for the routine. Shame there is no Dee Dee

Re: HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT -- 1975

DeeDee missed a damn fine routine, some graceful hand & arm gestures, with twirling aplenty, Cherry looks especially cute here with her daintiness, the other dancers seem to take their cue from her.
Questionable is the dress-code, it looks like they should be dancing to some early disco, rather than a reggae track, what with those flares, possibly there was a 'frisbeed' track involved in the making of this routine?

8/10

DotD:-

Cherry

Re: HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT -- 1975

VintageVideos
Thanks for all your comments so far, this is really a great line-up and it seems that the routine is highly esteemed. Yes choosing a DotD is again very difficult and everyone has his own favourite. This dance is indeed a great start to a great year, maybe the greatest year in Pan's People history (at least as far as the surviving routines testify), and it would be just fantastic to see the other routines from that particular month.

Re: HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT -- 1975

Rating 7.5 out of 10

DOTD=Sue

Re: HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT -- 1975

BeautifulBabs
have decided to re-watch this routine before rating as I really think I must be missing something if it is getting such good marks
but i won't be marking it down for babs and ruth being older than the others

Re: HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT -- 1975

My DotD is Sue - who I'm drawn to most here.

My favourite moment is where the fabulous four gather together and hold hands during the "Lord tonight, I need a friend" line in the final bridge.

My score: 6.5

Re: HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT -- 1975

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT -- 1975

Doc
Dotd: Another good perfomance by Sue.
Look how sharp my screen grab is!

Re: HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT -- 1975

OK I'm feeling guilty now for praising "the Teens" when what I'm trying to say is that I think Cherry and Sue are just fantastic Dancers and don't hurt one's eyes either.  Ruth and Babs are great in this one too and I almost followed Vin in voting for Ruth here but in the end I couldn't ignore Sue's great performance.  For me it's not about youth (you guys know me!) it's just a reflection I guess of Flick's great recruiting and perhaps also a little on the advancing training and styles of Dancers from the early 1960s to the early to mid 1970s.

Re: HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT -- 1975

Who's That Hurll
I'm not too keen on the olive tops, although the lilac skirts make up for this. The bottom part of the screen is covered in an early morning haze, to give it a dreamy quality. The girls do their best dancing to what is usually an ill suited form of music for their routines and DOTD is Sue, although she does look quite frail in this video. 7/10.

Re: HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT -- 1975

BeautifulBabs
For some reason I dont watch this one much maybe its jimmy and the sailor and not being overkeen on the song.
A lot of the moves are very generic and it could well be a frisbee substitution routine I think. Four girl pans are not brill for me but its a lot better than I remember and I'll watch it more often.

7.5 and dotd Babs and yes Old Bill you can accuse me of being a meanie too now.

Re: HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT -- 1975

Lookmacinanger
I’m afraid this doesn’t do much for me either. Again it’s not down to the routine or ladies performance but this reggae version of the song just doesn’t work for me. I prefer what we got when Midnight Rider was given it’s makeover then you can see how it can be done!

Sue looks all cute and full of youthful innocence, but Babs for Dotd because she’s having a good day leading the team. 6/10
I better get out quick SF is going to arrange for me to be propping up a flyover!

As if, although I'm told the Anna flyover is a very nice spot !!  But your right, Babs is having a good day and like Sue she really nails the hand movements and arm extensions unlike a certain Ms G.  A shame we don't have more rehearsal footage as watching Flick develop a routine such as this would have been very interesting whether it was a Frisbee moment or not.

Re: HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT -- 1975

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT -- 1975

Not a great routine, there is so much better in 1975 (One of Those Nights for starters)

Ruth looks stunning as ever, but the real eye-candy and real catch in this is the ever increasingly beautiful Sue...so she gets the top marks off this boy...