HIP HUG-HER -- 03/01/1974

Hip Hug-Her
Performed by Booker T. & The M.G.'s
Original broadcast date 03/01/1974 Duration of dance - 2.19 mins
Dancers: Babs, Cherry, Dee Dee, Louise, Ruth
A link to the dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc1FfIswGrQ

Booker T. & The M.G.'s were formed in 1962 as the house band of Stax Records and are still active today. In 2013 band leader Booker T. Jones, who will celebrate his 70th birthday this year, released his latest album. Their most famous record is probably the instrumental Northern Soul favourite "Green Onions", originally a single in 1962 but hitting the UK charts 17 years later (more about this early next year on the Legs & Co. comments section!).

In 1967 they put out a studio album called "Hip Hug-Her". The title track was released as a single and became a U.S. Top 40 hit though it did not chart in the UK. One of the writers of this track was a guy going by the noteworthy name of Donald "Duck" Dunn, who sadly passed away about two years ago. He was a very influential bass guitarist judging by the list of artists who recorded with him which includes Joan Baez, Eric Clapton, Ray Charles, Bob Dylan, Yvonne Elliman and many many others.

In January 1974 "Hip Hug-Her" was used for the Pan's People performance on the final episode of the third season of "The Two Ronnies". I know I haven't been very generous in my rating of "Philly Dog", but this is a routine that I absolutely adore. It's a memorable dance right from the start when Louise's high heels come into view. I love just everything about it – the dresses, the waving, the backward moves, the good mood (all smiles!), the way the girls appear and disappear again, I could go on and on. One of the highlights of this performance is a rare solo spot by Dee Dee. The dresses were of course reused three months later in "Homely Girl".

Musically, I find "Hip Hug-Her" not as unnerving as "Philly Dog", and so nothing can keep this routine from being a staple on my playlist. Possibly not quite the best of the "Two Ronnies" performances, it is still one that I rate very highly:

10 / 10

Dancer of the Day is an easy choice for me here, it's got to be Dee Dee.
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: HIP HUG-HER -- 1974

Paperboyplod
There's not really all that much to say about this dance routine, it's simply a jolly demonstration of hip-thrusting, that I guess could only be  broadcast, post-watershed, & & it's an appropriate time for these ladies to be wearing night-dresses, leaving hardly anything to one's imagination, with their lower halves, but I really like the simpering here, the girls certainly look like their enjoying themselves.

7/10

DotD:-

Louise

Re: HIP HUG-HER -- 1974

Yes this is a wonderful routine and probably my favourite from their appearances on the Two Ronnies.  It works from start to finish and for coy teasing it takes some beating with very appealing costumes and great steps.
Another 10 from me and another vote for Dee Dee as the Dotd.

Re: HIP HUG-HER -- 1974

Likes :

They look a dream
Camera angles- production quality
Costumes - recycled for homely girl
Patacakes
Dee-dee solo - absolutely fantastic teasing sequence
Love her W arm movements as she struts towards the camera and the end of this.
Yeah ok Babs treads on Cherry's foot at the end but Babs has her back to her so it's Cherry's fault for taking too short steps.No marks deducted.
Ruth point to head
Louise on her own.
Absolutely glorious - great shift girls

dislikes
nothing to mark down

A desert island 10 and deedee is dancing diva of the day- probably the best Pans solo within a group dance ever.

Re: HIP HUG-HER -- 1974

What is there to dislike about this ? Answer NOTHING.

Awesome performance that fully deserves top marks.  `10 out of 10`

DOTD, yep, `Dee Dee` is smoking hot in this.

Re: HIP HUG-HER -- 1974

Colm
Great music, great dancing, great choreography. Not much else to say.

Score: 9.5

DotD: While I want to give the honour to Dee Dee as she's beautiful here, I've already voted for her enough, so I'm going for the equally gorgeous Ruth.

Re: HIP HUG-HER -- 1974

I also love this playful romp in nightie Heaven.  It's just fun from start to finish and the bumps, smiles and waves fit the music so well.  Louise looks absolutely edible but I too have to vote for the tremendous Dee Dee  who performs a drool-inducing solo as others have mentioned.  All the ladies are fine here and the Babs reversing into Cherry incident just adds character to the whole proceedings.  The mark from me is 9.5/10  as it doesn't quite have the variety and depth of some of my favourites but it is very good indeed I must say.

Re: HIP HUG-HER -- 1974

PaulF
Nothing to dislike about this so another 10/10. This routine is ideal for Ruth's raunchiness to steal DOTD but my vote will go to Dee Dee for her sensual solo.
Paul

Re: HIP HUG-HER -- 1974

Doubleday
Most of it's been said ... incidentally another dance much overdubbed on YT, but this is the real thing and Pans People all look fabulous. 10 / 10 and favourite dancer will come as no surprise - Dee Dee

Re: HIP HUG-HER -- 1974

Mikey
Ok, so somebody forgot to add the 'Pans People' caption, tut tut.

Still a chance to see the ladies dance in their nightwear and heels can't be missed. I think that perhaps the outfits do dominate a bit much and if they were wearing something less risqué this would not be rating so well. Some of the moves are just daft like the patty cakes and the backwards duck walk thing, but the insatiable smiles make it enjoyable to watch all the same so 8/10. DOTD tough choice but it goes to Dee Dee.

Re: HIP HUG-HER -- 1974

Andeebee
Classic pans at their best...............wonderful routine

10/10

DOTD: the slinky and sexy Ruth

Re: HIP HUG-HER -- 1974

JEZ
a very good routine and i love the dresses ,but these none totp routines dont do a lot for me ,i much prefer the dancers performing to the pop music of the day ,a 7.5 for me

Re: HIP HUG-HER -- 1974

PattiForPM
Funny you should say that Jez as this was the pop music of the day in 1967 as per Vin's intro and I remember hearing that the ladies had much more time to perfect these performances than the TOTP ones.  Have to say I prefer the Two Rons routines to many of the TOTP dances of the time and I also like the fact that Flick had a free choice of the song to choreograph here.  Still, horses for courses as they say!

Re: HIP HUG-HER -- 1974

JEZ
yes i cant alter my opinion mr p ,i just cant seem to get the same thrill from the 2 ronnies or john denver shows dances ,than i would from a pp dance of the music from 73 -74 from totp ,sorry about that

Re: HIP HUG-HER -- 1974

PattiForPM
I'm right with you on John Denver Jez

Re: HIP HUG-HER -- 1974

Gorgeous Daze
This one is minimalist in more ways than the obvious one. There's no set to speak of, and no vocals in the music. And those outfits have no variation and virtually no colour. They are plain and simply very sexy in their heels and bedtime attire. There even seem to be a few pillow feathers floating around at about the minute mark!

It's all a little too girly girly, however.  Dee Dee's solo should have been raunchier to suit the guitar solo. The coquettish way she plays it is still very nice though. As is the routine. And I find the pretend and real exiting a really cute way to finish it.

DOTD Dee Dee. The music doesn't do much for me so that knocks it down a fraction of a mark to 7.75/10

Re: HIP HUG-HER -- 1974

Doubleday
Possibly not quite the best of the "Two Ronnies" performances, it is still one that I rate very highly:

So which is the best ... or to put it another way, will Johnny B Goode be on here anytime soon?

Re: HIP HUG-HER -- 1974

VintageVideos
That was one of my 'cliffhanger' remarks...
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: HIP HUG-HER -- 1974

Doubleday
Sure to be followed by 'A Great Idea'

Re: HIP HUG-HER -- 1974

Old Grey Whistler
This is a nice interlude on the Two Ronnies show and there is no denying that the girls are looking sexy with short nightie styled dresses and big heels. The routine fits the tune well and there is some nice choreography. The backward movements  I imagine would be quite hard to perfect, so it is not surprising that there was a minor mishap near the end.
For some reason though, I can't get quite as enthusiastic as many of you about this. It is good but to me falls a little short of being a classic, so I will score 8 out of 10. Dee Dee produces a good solo, but I particularly like Ruth in this, so she gets DOTD.