HOOKED ON CLASSICS [July]

HOOKED ON CLASSICS  Dance/performance number 280 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Royal Philharmonic Orchestra  reaching number 2 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  30/07/81  Duration of performance 3.29 mins
Dancers--Anita, Gill, Lulu, Patti, Rosie, Sue.
The Legs & Co attendance register so far after 280 dances/performances

Sue      259
Rosie    258
Patti     253
Gill        249
Lulu      249
Pauline  231
Anita      13

Whoever thought of jazzing up the classics to create this fine ensemble deserved to be congratulated. The charts in the summer of 81 were awash with wishy-washy pop montages, but adding a drum beat to create a dancible rhythm to the likes of Rimsky-Korsakov, Rossini & Beethoven was a bit of a masterstroke. Seems the pop buying public thought so to as it almost made the top spot in the hit parade.

As for the routine, well its my final choice from my `5 from 81` selections and what brilliant performance it is. This is Legs & Co at their very best and who are thoroughly enjoying their work as my screengrabs show. Seldom have i seen them execute dance moves so perfectly, with their timing spot on. Even the unusual for them, robotic dancing to `The Prince Of Denmark's March`, was carried out with aplomb, with Gill, bless her starring in that segment.

I seem to be saying this most weeks now, but notice once again how Flick allows each of the dancers a walk through the line solo, this time towards the end. This is most defiantly being done more during this year, maybe Flick is simply showcasing her dancers, hoping that the bigwigs see the hot property they have in them.

Splendid stuff, and its gotta be another maximum `10 out of 10` for me (think that could be my last max). But im now seriously starting to wonder if 1981 eclipses 1980 in terms of real quality. Maybe a thread subject for discussion ?

Oh and no squinting your eyes when watching this so it looks like they are dancing naked !

Re: HOOKED ON CLASSICS [July]

Legsfan
A real favourite of mine! Only discovered this routine with the BBC 4 repeats. Such a great routine which compliments the song extremely well to the point that this routine is unwatchable without the hit RPO track. I think Legs look very beautiful in this routine and I think the lighting choices work really well.
Rating: 10/10
DOTD: Gill

Re: HOOKED ON CLASSICS [July]

Everything'sRosie
Another big fan of this routine here. I absolutely love it. Very inventive and the girls look stunning. 1981 was a brilliant year for Legs, so many memorable routines (could even beat 79 in my affections). Have to disagree with Ryan though, this won't be my last max marks for the year. There's a few more tenners to come from me, for sure. Incidentally, some bod on YT has fitted this routine (with a bit of editing) to the Beastie Boys' You've Got To Fight For Your Right To Party, and it works just as well!

DotD: Rosie
Marks: 10/10

Re: HOOKED ON CLASSICS [July]

Whoever thought of jazzing up the classics to create this fine ensemble deserved to be congratulated. The charts in the summer of 81 were awash with wishy-washy pop montages, but adding a drum beat to create a dancible rhythm to the likes of Rimsky-Korsakov, Rossini & Beethoven was a bit of a masterstroke.
I think the idea goes back to 1966 when James Last started to release his "Classics Up To Date" series of albums. Waldo de los Rios also added a pop beat to Mozart's Symphony No. 40 and scored a big hit in the UK with it in 1971:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2QtOqf20qg

Now back to the routine, and what a fine one it is indeed. Splendid costumes, a lot of variation, good camera work, it's all there! Sadly I'm not really a fan of those updated classics, and the clapping disco beat puts me off after a while. But still a healthy

9 / 10

from me.

Re: HOOKED ON CLASSICS [July]

My first exposure to this dance was through the clip shown as part of a compilation sequence representing Legs & Co.'s final year on the show in The Story of 1981. The intriguing taster showed the troupe in line formation, bathed in moody lighting and ticking towards the sweeping camera and was very much drawn towards Patti and her boundless effervescence.
With opportunities for the fabled Legs & Co. unity as well as making an allowance for short solo parades, Hooked On Classics is quite a catch and finger-clicking good. Praiseworthy mention must once again be made for how snug a fit Anita is into the Legs & Co sect and her stance is lovely too.
Appropriate to Flight of the Bumblebee, Gill is the 'buzziest' of the six for me and fully adept at providing the right kind of wobble for the robotics sequence before delightedly touching skin with Rosie (a case where Miss H. most definitely does make contact!) so perhaps the more regimented routines are her forte.
Could be a 9 due to the lighting but the overall fulfillment just about pushes the score up to classic status.
10/10
DOTD: Gill

Re: HOOKED ON CLASSICS [July]

Gorgeous Daze
Here's Legs & Co's very own contribution to Proms season as even Radio 3 succumbs to the medley contagion. This is what The Jam meant by a Beat Surrender...would be a theory in tune with my ignorance in the field of classical music, though most of these pieces fall into the know-it-when-I-hear-it-and-indeed-like-it category. The encoring leotards are popular classics in themselves, and it was obviously a whole lotta fun for the ladies filling them.

What's to praise? Everything! This encompasses a kaleidoscope of patterns with each exert a different little episode with its own mood within a coherent symphony, all underpinned by tongues ever-so-slightly nudging cheeks expelling Woos that deepen the scowls of purists. Conversely the low lighting brings a touch of concert hall gravitas. How velvet a fit are twilight nymphs skipping The Flight fantastic into a chorus line. Indeed this is as much vaudeville as TOTP and when it's this good what a deviation it makes. Midway is peak Showtime! with ole Georgie, rounded off with a razzle dazzle fan flourish. Patti conducts the Leg-Over-Lulu-ture, and then rather naughtily taunts opposers of that controversial beat with her snappy hip-thrusts while instantaneously exonerated by all with that disarming beam.

Very much like a concert some of the biggest crowd-pleasers come towards the end. When - to the despair of SF - what I'll refer to as Blue Peter Special Assignment music gets the robotic treatment complete with ET dignitary handshakes the popping of Doc's champagne corks are drowned out by cannon fire. Hallelujah! The final sequence with Patti high-kicking her way across baroque piano, Anita revolving on the ripples of her wake, Sue the puppet, but Lulu on the strings lastly with that puush-puush close encounter serpentine shimmy is quite something too. No  wonder really that the director thinks we need ushering away to the lower circle before it ends.

As Union Jacks wave around the auditorium my mind drifts back as it must to modern music and specifically again to The Jam:

That's Entertainment. 10/10.  DOTD Patti.

Re: HOOKED ON CLASSICS [July]

Yes the ladies whoop it up to the classics here and do great work while looking quite divine.  I almost find myself able to get past my dislike for this genre of disco medley such is the skill and pizzazz of the Dancers.  They are all stars here and I do like the simple set and camerawork.  Overall it's just good fun and I am awarding 9/10  and DotD to Patti  for her high kicks, supple pelvis and the loveliest knowing smile in the business

Re: HOOKED ON CLASSICS [July]

The medley is as medley's are, but Flick has brought a great dance interpretation to proceedings which the girls execute with aplomb.  So no despair in giving this a 10, with Sue, a rhapsody in any shade, my Dotd.

Re: HOOKED ON CLASSICS [July]

The Rubberband Man
This a is truly dreadful record. The relentless handclaps are unbearable. The music is so bad it’s a routine I tend to avoid. However, the enthusiasm of posters here has made me look at this routine again, (with the sound down)

I think putting together a dance sequence to this kind of music is a challenge, but the fully flexible L&C make it look easy.
Once again it’s a DOTD for Patti, for her high kicks, one over a crouching Lulu.

Re: HOOKED ON CLASSICS [July]

Gorgeous Daze
TRM, your Platoon membership card is in the post.

Re: HOOKED ON CLASSICS [July]

Colm
What I love about this routine:

- The playful whoops during Mozart's Symphony No. 40 - for once, it's not an unnecessary irritant to the sound and vision

- The slinky movements to Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue - a shame the backdrop kept flicking between blue and red at this point, but that's a bit too pedantic really

- The triangle formation during Mozart's Aria and Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet - held together well and beautifully transitioned into, and out of

- Those solo spots during Grieg's Piano Concerto: Patti with delightful high kicks, some excellent spins and stretches from lovely Anita, Sue just being stunning smiling Sue, and Lulu's seductive shimmies...

...which makes me annoyed we don't have a proper close-up look at what Gill and Rosie have to offer us, particularly as it's to the energetic Les Toreador from Bizet's Carmen (which always reminds me of watching wrestling on a Saturday afternoon with my Grandad). For that reason...

Score: 9

DotD: A difficult one, as the competition is hot - I'm going to be a bit leftfield and choose Anita on the basis of her solo spot, proving how wholly worthy she is to have been a member of Legs and Co.

Re: HOOKED ON CLASSICS [July]

Doc
That clapping machine must have been the irritant of the year for me! Not exactly the most danceable song they were ever given but they end up doing a good job and i's all very nice to watch 9/10.
Dotd: Once again it could easily be given to any of the girls, but for a nice little strut in the middle and a very mad looking robot I'm swayed towards Rosie.

I wonder if a baby Peter Crouch watched this show and got his robot goal celebration from it. No probably not as he was only 5 months old.

Re: HOOKED ON CLASSICS [July]

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Who knew that classics mixed with a disco beat would work so well, but it just hits the spot.....the squeals and yelps all add to a fabulous dance, where all the girls communicate their infectious enthusiasm....special mention to Lulu's little shimmy

DotD Rosie and those incredible pins

And its another TEN
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: HOOKED ON CLASSICS [July]

I love this routine, and even recognise the classical tunes even if i can't name them! This is another of those feel good routines that just makes you feel good every time you watch it, we have some good moves, and once again all of the girls look absolutely beautiful, and those skimpy costumes aren't bad either!

Rating 10/10

DOTD Rosie

Re: HOOKED ON CLASSICS [July]

Old Grey Whistler
This was in my opinion the best produced of the medleys in 1981. We move seamlessly from one tune to the next and the tempo is maintained throughout. The girls have the opportunity to show a variety of different moves and execute them all faultlessly. I wish there was a way of editing out the whooping from the sound track as I really hate it, but despite that I will still give it 10 out of 10 as the dancing was exquisite.
DOTD could go to anyone but my vote is for Lulu.

Re: HOOKED ON CLASSICS [July]

Mikey
Have we reached our zenith of 1981s medleys here?, i'm not sure, being a classic music dunce i have no idea what each individual piece of music is called, but it sounds good anyway and it zips through each one at a fair old rate. Its a spritely performance too each segment seeing plenty of variety even if the clapping along and whooping is a little overdone in places. The robotics section is completely random and wonderful at the same time, on the whole very enjoyable 8.5/10 DOTD Gill

Re: HOOKED ON CLASSICS [July]

First impressions of this particular performance, for me, gave the impression at this was a dub-over, of a dance routine to a disco-based backing track, having the audio swapped out, for a classical piece of music, the coloured strobe lighting seems more typical of visuals for a track with more of a funky bassline.
The dancing itself, is great, & the ladies costumes really look good on them!

DotD:-

Patti

Rating:-

Re: HOOKED ON CLASSICS [July]

brandonb
9.5/10 DOTD: Patti

Ah I'm differing with Ryan on this one - and many others here. I absolutely LOATHE this record. It's bloody awful as far as I'm concerned. Which means I usually watch this routine with the sound down. Whoever thought it was a good idea to reduce this music to a 4/4 beat and hand claps was a moron in my opinion - or maybe not because it made a lot of money - but I hate hate hate it. Even more than Stars on 45... So I guess you get the point - I'm not all that keen on this record ;)

That said I LOVE the routine and the costumes and everything about it apart from the music. In addition the girls seem to be having a great time. The switching to different routines to suit the section of music in the medley is nicely done. It's such a shame this happened with this music though (for me at any rate). I was won over by Patti's high kicks too so she was my DOTD although all of them seemed to be having a great time. Despite the fact I love what the girls did here and everything else about it - the torture that is the music meant I couldn't bring myself to award a full 10 so it had to be 9.5.

Re: HOOKED ON CLASSICS [July]

Fun and more fun, the return of the Sue robotics, and yes I guess if you squint, you could just about think they are naked.

MMM gotta check that out. This melody of cut and paste tunes, punches the ticket.  I do like this alot

10/10

Lulu

Re: HOOKED ON CLASSICS [July]

In this routine, we have our ladies dancing to Classical Tracks of Music. To great effect in front of the studio audience. In a gazebo like structure. The ladies are wearing nude coloured undergarment with sparkly bright beads. Sew on to the nude coloured undergarment and silver court shoes. The routine starts in the semi-darkness in a small circle, going up and down. As well as going in and out towards the studio audience making shapes. And then we have them going around in a circle. And then splitting up to form a line. Then kicking there legs out and clapping there hands and calling out to the music. Then the ladies go into a pyramid shape at one moment. And doing robot movements in one section. And then bowing and shaking hands to each over. We also get some solo moments when our ladies split up into two rows. When they face each other, Patti does some great high kicks into the air. Anita doing spins towards the camera. And then Sue does some Pogo like jumps to the camera. And finally we have Lulu wiggling a nice bottom. I must give this high marks for this routine.

For the dotd I will have to give it to the beautiful Sue.

The score must be 10 out of 10.
12