HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- [November]

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU   Dance/performance number 134 by Legs & Co
Performed by   Olivia Newton John  and reaching number 2 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date   09/11/78  Duration of dance --  2.55 mins
Dancers -- Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Sue

Pauline 123
Sue      121
Patti     119
Rosie    118
Gill       115
Lulu     115
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26cz3k_legs-co-hopelessly-devoted-to-you-totp-tx-09-11-1978_creation

Yes lucky Mike Read, what a way to spend an afternoon gazing at these Baby Dolls. Im sure you will all agree, and i know we are biased, but this dance by Legs & Co was simply light years better than anything on Mr Read's debut show. The song itself, whilst very soppy is very listenable, as was every song is from the `Greasomania` syndrome that was sweeping the country around this time. With three of the top four records in the charts attributed to the film. ONJs vocals are simply a delight as she is also and our love struck five deliver for me one of the performances of 1978.

Flick got this one spot on and gave us another of those Legs at bed/night-time routines but unlike the last, this one works so well. The simple setting of the cold black floor, the five fluffy circular carpets, different coloured baby dolls outfits, the dear diary stuff matched the song so well. This one was obviously filmed over a number of takes the way those white carpets shifted about. Only Sue stayed in a central position, but its odd how Patti & Gill on the left hand side of our screen and Pauline & Lulu on the right kept swapping places, though i think this was intentionally done.

DOTD is really difficult. Normally id gravitate towards Sue in these girlie routines, but im going to be harsh and not select her because she was half a second late on the `concertinaed falling over with book in hand` segment. Im not going to pick Patti because of her little unbalancing problem in the final scene. So its one of the other three. Gill who seems to specialize in these dreamy night time sequences sure makes a good case with her close up to camera, but no its either Pauline or Lulu for me. Once again though its `Lulu` who scoops my nomination, im completely bowled over by her in this. Its sure great watching this young lady each week grow into a woman and a fine dancer also, her range of facial expressions are simply a delight, with her love sick teen face this week a great example.

Rating--Well Legs & Co are going through a golden patch right now and this is certainly another winner. Even with no Rosie and no real dancing, this performance is one i play often, so i have no hesitation in awarding a maximum, 10 out of 10.

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- 1978

sueforever
You are quite right Ryan this is a true classic routine by the ladies. The chart did show you how Grease had dominated the chart at this time. We have three songs in the top five this week, these at 4,3and 1. This song would get to number 2. And be stopped getting to number 1, by The Boomtown Rats and Rod Stewart. But now to the routine, we find the ladies dressed like baby dolls on white rugs. Holding books with the title of the song in it, as if they are writing these words. You can see why they are call Legs and Co, there have wonderful legs. The set is also cleave the background is black with small light predending be stars. Shining through large white framed window. And do great dance movements on the rugs to the tune.

We now come to the Dotd, and to me one lady stood out for me from the first moment. The lady in middle in pink, the very, very, very  beautful Sue. I could have chosen any of the ladies. there are all gorgeous to look at in this routine. But I must stick to the lady I always like since I saw her Pan's People.

So the score must be 10 out of 10.

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- 1978

When watching this last night, one dancer stood out for me. The one who gave beautiful, wistful longing glances to camera.

DotD, therefore, is Sue

Score: 7

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- 1978

This routine for me, sees the ladies at their girliest looking ever, there's an aura of bedtime, frilly nightdresses are worn, & diaries are out to record notable events of that day gone by.
Once again, although it's been a while since the last occurrence, we have the dancers, rarely being on their feet, & so the actual 'dance' part of the 'routine' is a term to used with a wide berth, there's some gentle swaying to the Olivia Newton-John ballad, but what really enhances the routine, is the slow high-kicks, made by the dancers, with extra bare flesh on show, but as always, it's still all great squeaky-clean family fun.

9/10

DotD:-

Sue

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- 1978

Dotd: Sue stands out in this routine.
The performance suits the song well although I tend to prefer the more uptempo numbers. The girls are wearing quite possibly the biggest knickers ever. 8/10.
LNV

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- 1978

LNV
What a frickin’ disappointment this is. Yeah it’s pretty to the eyes with the admittedly classy looking set and ONJ’s crystal-clear singing but what a shame that this is such a backward step for Legs & Co to have taken, without Rosie of course. To which was that a deliberate choice of Rosie’s to be absent or as the story has been given to us in past retellings just coincidence that Rosie was scheduled to be on holiday on said recording day ? If it was deliberate on Rosie’s part that would for me put her beyond the glory of the Gods. Because this is one dance to miss in my view. Nice, sweetly pleasant and apparently harmless as it is, as are custard creams; but all in all this piece of puffery does indeed take the biscuit.

Those baby-doll nighties are so regressive that you wouldn’t think that we had gone via Pans through the emancipating late 1960’s and into the harder edged feminist ‘70’s to have to see - can I believe my eyes - such puerile attire on one of womanhood’s greatest proponents to have ever graced our screens.

Beneath all the innocuousness of this Routine I find it rather shocking. It may satisfy the fantasies of some men but I don’t in truth find Legs & Co sexy at all here. A nice visual presentation but the given Routine and costume styling is reactionary beyond the wishes of a born again Neanderthal. These Girls are only fit to squirm on the floor of some hairy beast’s cave it would appear.

If I had been on the studio floor with Flick she would have known my views in no uncertain terms and I think at the end of which it would have been beneficial in producing a much better Routine for Legs & Co to dance to and in attire  more befitting of their true womanly qualities. This performance undoes all the triumphs of  Pans’ who prided themselves on being their own bosses and being a dance troupe for themselves not just for leering lecherous men.

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- 1978

L&C4me
 8/10 - DOTD Sue

Beautiful Sue opens the show with her gorgeous leggy introduction.

The fluffed up Baby Doll outfits are not my cup of tea. I also find the pompom topped dance shoes off putting. I suppose Flick chose the outfits to represent the 1950's period for Grease. Legs &Co used these fluffed out pompom shoe'd outfits every now and again and I always feel the same about them. For me they detract from the sex appeal of the ladies.

Set aside the outfits and the girls looked smashing.  Lulu had developed a more confident and smouldering expression by this stage in 78. She frequently looks devastatingly attractive. Patti provides plenty of timeless and pricelessly beautiful expressions. I'm wrestling with myself over DOTD but Patti does go over balance toward the end. She really is a class act and lady though.
Jim

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- 1978

I really like this and think it fits the music beautifully.  The leggy ladies at the Mansion sleepover are perfect and the rather sedate performance is exactly what is needed for this winsome ONJ tune.  The diaries are a nice accessory and I like all the performances but am drawn to Sue right from the start so she gets my DotD.  My mark is 9/10  for this enjoyable spectacle.  I do feel the need to say that the Dance retains style and a little humour too and totally avoids the prurient side of life in my opinion (although I miss Rosie too )

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- 1978

Hmm, seems my prediction of Sue scooping the DOTD award for 1978 (made last Saturday) is edging closer.

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- 1978

Andeebee
Wonderful dreamy performance, which LNV i disagree it's not a step back to Pans, but it echoes the Grease '50's vibe rather well, how else will they do this, it's a well thought out routine, diaries, dreamy bedroom attaire.....what more do you want, Winceyette nighties???

Overall a top notch performance with cracking legs on show....Patti's mis-step or Sue's miscue doesn't matter, it's almost faultless......

10/10

DOTD: yup guessed it - Sue -just eye-achingly sexy in this

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- 1978

I agree.  Indeed for this viewer the dancers have been light years ahead on every show recently.
The song is a soppy one and so Flick has devised an appropriate routine, while Gill has wisely decided to use invisible ink for her diary entries.  All in all a nice routine but just a little too much time spent on the floor for me to score it more than a 7.5.  The costumes are also a trifle over fussy, but whether morning dancing or evening devoting Sue always looks in the pink so, despite it being a very close call, she gets my Dotd pick.

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- 1978

LNV wrote
without Rosie of course. To which was that a deliberate choice of Rosie’s to be absent or as the story has been given to us in past retellings just coincidence that Rosie was scheduled to be on holiday on said recording day ? If it was deliberate on Rosie’s part that would for me put her beyond the glory of the Gods. Because this is one dance to miss in my view.
Hi LNV. Can you clarify this comment about Rosie deliberately missing this routine. Im struggling to recall the story you have mentioned that was told to us in the past and would like to be reminded of it ?

I know Sue has told us before on here that every dancer basically had to do what they was told by Flick when it came to the routines and that was that. If they didn't like it `tough` and that Flick had a armful of replacement dancers ready to step into their shoes.

Surely this routine that Rosie missed was just because of a scheduled holiday. Though it is interesting her last scheduled holiday was only in August 78 when she missed two consecutive shows.

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- 1978

PaulF
Routine matched well with the song and beautifully performed but I do prefer the more upbeat routines of our damsel's so a 7.5/10.

Patti just out balanced and Lulu just out cutified by DOTD Sue.
Paul
LNV

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- 1978

LNV
It just seems very coincidental to me that Rosie should be on a scheduled absence for those Routines I think she should not be involved with or in my view would herself not be too disappointed in not being part of. A subjective opinion of mine that I can not verify, but to keep believing that these missed dances by Rosie are just random occurrences I still am doubtful about.

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- 1978

Oh okay, thanks for that. I was worried id missed some comment by Rosie in the past on this matter and that you maybe had recalled it. With Rosie having a holiday only a couple of months ago, id put her absence down to illness for this week. Im absolutely certain that dancers could not pick and choose. I mean if that was the case none of them would have been Smurfs for example, which Rosie seemed to revel in !

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- 1978

JEZ
absolutely love this dance and song ,its brilliant ,i think it deserves a 10 from me

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- 1978

I said she would score well with this dance a while back.

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- 1978

Yes Doc, i off course knew this and i think that played a part in me being the only person so far not to vote for Sue on this. I would like to keep the race for top `Dancer Of The Day` for 1978 going as long as possible. With only six more scoring routines to go and in my opinion Sue may get most votes on four of these. I think it will be a case of who finishes second to her, Patti will score heavily on one of the other two routines so it may be close between her and Lulu for second. If this prediction dosent come to fruition, please throw rotten eggs at me at the end of the year.

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- 1978

Gorgeous Daze
Not forgetting that we can't declare a winner at the end of the year because ratings/DOTD remain open.

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- 1978

Yes you are correct GD, technically all DOTD and other such ratings in the comments sections will never end and will always be open to be added too. But i feel that by the time the ratings are in for the final routine of 78, Sue will be ahead and uncatchable. I hope im not putting the mockers on her and it could be i should shut the hell up and just let you guys decide.