HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- [November]

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- 1978

Gorgeous Daze
Indeed Ryan. This thread isn't titled 'Hopelessly Devoted To Sue'.

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- 1978

VintageVideos
Not much of a dance, is it... Nice dreamy routine, with the girls looking lovely, but like a few others here I think they are spending too much time on the floor. To their credit it must be said that ballads are always more difficult to handle than those energetic disco records. And I'll award a little extra as this is finally a routine to a complete song with no sudden fade-outs in the middle of a verse.
All in all  8.5 /10   DotD: Sue

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- 1978

AC/PD
A sincerely serene routine, oozing with love-lorn yearning and romantic dreams, perfectly married to the song and its aching, heartfelt emotions.
The '50's based time-period of the movie from where the song originates, is well-represented not only by the multi-frilled nifty night attire, but also by the grand set itself, looking like a theatrical production of the time.
Lighting for this is indeed excellent, and depicts the quintet in all their attractive glory.
The routine's unusual insofar as the restricted upper limbs are concerned, preoccupied with 'Dear Diary' entries : Sue's on the first full week of May 1979, whilst Gill's still composing her thoughts (or waiting for her red nail-varnish to dry) , before committing them to paper.
Nice fluffy bathmats on which they variously recline and ...err...exercise and stretch their lower limbs.
8/10
DOTD: Sue
 (Despite the brief 'legs akimbo' moment during the intro)

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- 1978

Gorgeous Daze
There were two routines I love on this edition's 'repeat'. And this one. It's authentically vintage girlie, maybe, but I don't like those voluminous Baby Doll nighties or the fluffy adornment on their shoes. I don't like the leggy moves right from Sue's early moment of X-rated innocence pointed out by PD. A dancer's feet should mainly be on the floor. I find the heartbroken faces mannequin-like and unconvincing. I know that 'Hopelessly Devoted To You' is a soliloquy and that girls are prone to pouring their little hearts out, but if their diaries were any bigger they would be like a ship's journal. With the shifting rug formations and the instant ups and downs of the girls the video tapes do not edit together well and it's disorienting. Nope, I just don't like this one.

DOTD Sue, despite being a late domino.

3.5/10.  But like Patti at the end, this is merely a little wobble for me in a long unfolding story of continual delight.
Steve
Stu

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- 1978

Stu
Always thought this was one of the strongest, of the many, songs from the Grease film, and I think Flick was always going to do a routine of this ilk for it. I really like it, and we do seem to be getting consistently good dances at the moment, and long may it continue.

8.5/10

DOTD  Sue

Stuey

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- 1978

Adorable Gillusion
5/10   DOTD...Sue

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- 1978

Lookmacinanger
Legs and Co sleepover seems to be a success. Pity Rosie was missing perhaps she’d been misbehaving during class and had to stay at home, but Sue and Lulu deserve extra marks for very neat handwriting. The essence of the track is reflected well in the routine and everyone shows good balance and poise while holding a diary aloft. 8/10 Dotd, Sue

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- 1978

bucksby
Love the close up of Gill at the 50 second mark but for me Sue stands out here especially as she is in pink. the routine gets an 8.

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- 1978

Angie
Wonderful routine!

9/10

DOTD: Lulu

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- 1978

Old Bill
What might have a tricky one to dance to poses no problems for Flick here, her solution is, well, not to dance to it!
But the set and the moves, and the sad lovelorn expressions work brilliantly and match the teenage sentimental yearnings of the song perfectly. As happens occasionally we get less of a dance and more of a theatrical performance showing the range and flexibility of Flick and our lasses.
And given the number of jump-cuts and edits it must have taken an age to film. Even if they did it twice and cut between them, it still means doing two dances.

Not crazy about the baby dolls personally, but again they fit right in and look just right.

Interesting that Mike confesses to have been sharing a dressing room with the girls - and he seems to have walked out in one of their jackets!

A 9/10 and DotD cpuld have been Sue, but it has to be Lulu. To whom I am hopefully devoted! :-)

What's that in your diary Lulu?!
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- 1978

Old Grey Whistler
This is quite a good routine but it is not without it's flaws. Sue slightly misses her cue at one point and Patti has a wobble at the end. Both are only really notable because it is so unusual for either to make a mistake. I feel that the dance is a little disjointed due to it being filmed in two takes. Positions get swapped over, and they move from sitting to standing and back in the blink of an eye which is a little off putting.
Having said all that, I do enjoy watching this and it is a nice song as well so I will score 8 out of 10, and as Sue is looking so beseechingly at the camera, I can't resist giving her DOTD.

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- 1978

Who's That Hurll
Another slowie from 'Grease'  and after only needing two pairs of legs for 'Sandy', it's almost back to a full set for this one.
Rosie misses out, which is a shame, as her long lower levers would have been ideal for the upward movements from a sitting position. Humfing around a large diary is restricting to the girls and they do their best to keep to their powder puff rugs.
I gave 'Sandy' a 7 and I would say that the clear picture and lavish setting push 'Hopelessly Devoted to You' a notch above that.
7.5/10 and star pupil is Sue.

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- 1978

Mikey
This is just great, even if the song is very soppy it works in a filmic way and i like the theme of devotion being interpreted here. I don't think Flick was taking the theme of the song seriously at all, some of the movements are a tad suggestive and those oversized fluffy nighties and accompanyments (huge diarys etc) are ramping it up to borderline silly levels, well done Flick!.

A large amount of the routine is floor based and i do like those domino effect type moves where they recline in sequence, and the other floor bits are well integrated with the diarys being held aloft throughout.

9/10
DOTD Lulu

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- [November]

Another routine from the movie Grease, and another fabulous performance from our girls. Just as well this is a slow one, did no one ever tell Flick about putting rugs on highly polished floors, you might as well set a man trap as the 1970's public information advert used to say, but luckily our girls all escape unscathed! As i say no dancing as such in this one, but i like the floor routine and the use of the diary's as a prop, and the way the performance captures the feel of the movie perfectly.

Rating 10/10

DOTD is a tough one, but i'm going for the cutest of the lot Lulu

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- [November]

MADMAX
Sexy Legs & Co dancing with our(AU) beautiful Olivia, It just doesn't  get better than that! 10

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- [November]

Dancer
This was another track off Side One of Grease.  So odd how all the hits came off Side One and the other three sides were fillers.  I managed to get a mint copy of the OST from the charity shop last month on vinyl for a £1 and have put it in the loft.  Pictures are lovely but the music really did not do that much for me in 1978 or now.  I think this routine is lovely though and it seems to be replicating the film version slightly but I find this version beautiful to look at.  Flick got this one really right and I loved the outfits and the Georgian windows.  Purely lovely.  I will award this one nine out of ten and the best dancer awarded to Sue.

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- [November]

The Rubberband Man
I’m never keen on dance routines that involve dancing on bums.
Also, I’m not overawed with the way the edits are done; for example, one moment Lulu’s standing with Pauline, the next she’s lying on the rug with the others, then it’s a cut to another standing formation – I’m much more enthused by those routines that all filmed in one take. The baby doll nighties don’t do it for me either.

I’m going to pull the rug from under this dance sequence and give it just 6/10
DOTD is Sue

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- [November]

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- [November]

Re: HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU -- [November]

PattiforPM wrote
😧!!!!

18 DOTD nominations so far this year Lulu. People will be thinking I’m biased….
(which I’m not, 😝)