HOT LOVE (VERSION 1) -- 11/03/1971

Hot Love (Version 1)
Performed by T. Rex and reaching number 1 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 11/03/1971 Duration of dance - 3.35 mins
Dancers: Andrea, Babs, Dee Dee, Flick, Louise, Ruth
A link to the dance:
https://youtu.be/r_9AGVzdPf0

Flick (on the left), Louise (centre)

Flick, Louise, Andrea (centre), Babs (on the right)

Babs, Dee Dee & Ruth (on the right)

Andrea and two unknown guys

Babs & Ruth and those guys again!

What's the best glam-rock song of all time? According to Jon Savage of "The Guardian", it is a record that came out when the term "Glam-rock" wasn't even coined yet: "Hot Love" by T. Rex. Marc Bolan's TOTP appearance for that song is often cited as the birth of glam-rock.

This week's featured routine is the first of two backing dances for "Hot Love" - a record that spent no less than six weeks at the top of the UK charts. Wait - isn't this labelled "Version 2" on our channel? Yes it is, and I explained why that happened in my other "Hot Love" post (for the actual "Version 2") which you can find here.

While the second version survived thanks to an airing on ZDF's "disco 71", this first version was saved by the estimated Bob Pratt and remains one of only two surviving bits from that particular show. What is remarkable about this clip is how it demonstrates that Marc Bolan sang live vocals because he almost messed up the lyrics: at 0.44 min into the song the correct line to sing should have been "I'm a labourer of love in my persian gloves" (make of that what you will) while Bolan was already a bit ahead starting to sing the next line which begins with "I'm her two-penny prince". He realized his mistake rather quickly but the result is a somewhat strange "I'm her two-bourer of love in my persian gloves"...

Unlike in "Version 2", Pan's People are mixing with the audience on stage. Blink and you'll miss 'em! I must say I needed a couple of watchings to be dead certain that all six dancers were present in this performance, but in the end I could identify them all. It is a bit tricky though as they are not dancing together, and some even seem to change their places.

I actually prefer "Version 2", as I think it's much livelier than this one. Besides, we hardly see our favourite dancers in "Version 1" - not even enough to make this performance eligible for ratings. So I can offer this clip for comments only.

Re: HOT LOVE (VERSION 1) -- 1971

PansLegs
Marc Bolan "Hot Love"... I won't go into what I think of the track again... On to the visual... If Pans had been featured more heavily then this would have faired better, but that's the trouble with these backing dances, it would almost be an improvement if they weren't featured at all then I could forget the sequence entirely! There's a bit of an anthem feel to the last minute with semi-mixed shots but a fleeting glimpse of Pans amongst the crowd is not enough to lift the monotony.

Re: HOT LOVE (VERSION 1) -- 1971

Nice to see the ladies at any time I suppose but this is a bit minimalist as we've already heard.  However it's good to see those Jeepster pants again but I wonder can anyone see the pic on their shirts cos I'm struggling there?  This certainly does have an anthemic feel to it and I do like the slow sideways move of the crowd of loyalists.

Re: HOT LOVE (VERSION 1) -- 1971

Suefan
I quite like the song and the Pans ladies joining that segment of the audience a nice touch.

Re: HOT LOVE (VERSION 1) -- 1971

There's precious little of Pan's People, & it reminds me of some of Legs & Co.'s 'appearances' a decade afterwards, it's only towards the end, that we get a few half-decent shots of them.
Just to add, I like how Mark Bolan covered his lyrical mistake, I had to replay that bit, having not noticed, the almost skipped line.

Re: HOT LOVE (VERSION 1) -- 1971

Gorgeous Daze
Pan's too fleeting and audience-like. Certainly prefer V2, including the extra inclusivity shots from the German studio brings. But always an enjoyable 'something's in the air' moment watching this song performed.

Re: HOT LOVE (VERSION 1) -- 1971

Mikey
An entertaining 3 minutes and somewhat of a time capsule of 1971 fashions on display, perhaps it should have been called 'Hot Pants' instead of Hot Love. I like the idea of PP blending in with the audience as they do a dance so simple even those with two left feet can join in with, it looks like hop left, hop right, jump and clap, move sideways. The t-shirt designs are a puzzle even after 2 years of trying to guess what they are, i think they may be different designs but the camera is understandably mostly trained on T-Rex or meandering behind the stage and not really giving us the close ups we need. Still, there is a nice atmosphere about this performance, the la-la-la section at the end is quite joyous as the all female crowd surround the band joining in the chant, they must have really enjoyed being up their dancing with PP. Nice to (briefly) see Ruth sporting a pony tail too.

Re: HOT LOVE (VERSION 1) -- 11/03/1971

lways had a soft spot for this record, in fact I love it, second longest coda (other - Hey Jude).....more like spot Pans competition.

Re: HOT LOVE (VERSION 1) -- 11/03/1971

It's always lovely to see Pan's People backing, though I must say that they didn't get that much camera time which is a shame. I can watch this performance many times to look for Pan's People and not get sick of it because the song is just so good.
Sadly, the record button wasn't pressed 3 minutes earlier, but I'm happy that this exists from that edition.
Devoted to Pan's People & Legs & Co.