HOT LOVE (VERSION 2) -- 18/03/1971

Hot Love (Version 2)
Performed by T. Rex and reaching number 1 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 18/03/1971 or 15/04/1971 Duration of dance - 4.18 mins
Dancers: Andrea, Babs, Dee Dee, Flick, Louise, Ruth
A link to the dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l470By5D09E

This week's feature is the second of two backing dances that Pan's People did for the first No. 1 single by T. Rex, "Hot Love", which spent a total of 6 weeks at the top of the charts. The clip does not seem to exist at the BBC, but it was also shown on the German music show "disco 71" on 05/06/1971 and has since been repeated numerous times by ZDF.

Now, if you follow the above link to the YouTube video you might be surprised that you will find the description "Hot Love [Version 1] - TOTP TX: 11/03/1971". That was the date I gave to Andee when I sent him the clip, but unfortunately it is not correct. For quite a while, there has been some confusion about the dates of the two surving "Hot Love" performances (the other survives at the BBC). Generally it's been agreed that one is from 11/03/1971, hosted by Ed Stewart, and the other from 25/03/1971, hosted by Jimmy Savile. As you can see Ed for about a second at the end of the "disco 71" clip, I concluded that that had to be the 11/03/1971 performance. For the same reason, Andee mentions in his intro for the other "Hot Love" (incorrectly labelled as 'Version 2'), that it "is the full version albeit cut short for Savile's link".

Well, we know better now. The version that survives at the BBC is not introduced by Jimmy Savile but by - Ed Stewart! What's more, Ed announces "Hot Love" as being at No. 7 in the charts, which once and for all proves that the BBC clip is the one that dates from TOTP 11/03/1971. Consequently, that version should have been labelled "Version 1" (instead of "Version 2").

As the clip from "disco 71" features Ed Stewart as well, it has to be from either 18/03/1971 or 15/04/1971 (we do not know the exact broadcast date as yet) - which makes it "Version 2" (instead of "Version 1"). By all means, none of the clips originates from 25/03/1971.

Still confused? Here's a quick roundup:
This is actually "Hot Love" Version 1 from 11/03/1971 and this is "Hot Love" Version 2 (this week's featured routine) from 18/03/1971 or 15/04/1971.

Marc Bolan is wearing a glittery make-up in this clip (primarily noticeable by the glittering stars beneath his eyes), so this may be the performance that wikipedia refers to when it says, "After Chelita Secunda added two spots of glitter under Bolan's eyes before an appearance on Top of the Pops, the ensuing performance would often be viewed as the birth of glam rock."

As mentioned, Pan's People were hired only as backing dancers for this performance and they first appear in the background just before the 1:00 min mark. Dressed in bikini tops and some kind of fringed skirts, completed with silver boots, their outfits seem too good to be wasted for a mere backup dance, so I assume they performed another full routine on the same show. They reappear quite frequently during the clip but, alas, just in homeopathic doses of no more than a few seconds. Nevertheless, their total screen-time adds up to about 45-50 seconds, which means that this dance will be eligible for ratings (not everyone might agree)!

This is a fun clip which, although not one of my favourites, I play quite regularly. The moves are no more than basic (as you would expect from a backup routine), yet the girls do look fantastic in my opinion. It's also fun to watch the audience as they seem to do their own kind of dance.

For the overall fun factor, I will award

7.5 / 10

DotD: Flick
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: HOT LOVE (VERSION 2) -- 1971

mojo2007
Not top form for either dancers or band but worth keeping. Have I seen the girl in the audience at about 3.30 on other occasions ?  I suggest an 8 , Babs as DOTD for doing her best with little material.

Re: HOT LOVE (VERSION 2) -- 1971

PaulF
I think this could have had the potential for a 10/10, but alas our girls are reduced to background entertainment. What a shame, although a glimpse is better than nowt. 7/10.

Dotd Babs
Paul

Re: HOT LOVE (VERSION 2) -- 1971

Great detailed chronology Vin.  The ladies do indeed look mighty fine but of course there's far too little of them, although I do like the trooping forward to front the stage move and the outfits are great too.  I assume the odd 2:45 moment is the Disco 71 studio, is that right?  Anyway I agree with with hair-tossing Babs for DotD and I am giving 6.5/10 for this, mainly because of the backing issue I admit.  One final point and perhaps a sacrilegious one; sometimes the song detracts from my enjoyment of a performance but this is not the case here, however Mr Bolan's delivery of it is sometimes a bit off-putting to me and does detract a bit so there I have come clean about this fine artist.

Re: HOT LOVE (VERSION 2) -- 1971

VintageVideos
PattiForPM wrote
I assume the odd 2:45 moment is the Disco 71 studio, is that right?
Yes that is correct. The singer who can be seen on the disco stage is Samantha Jones, appearing right after T. Rex (on disco 71).
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: HOT LOVE (VERSION 2) -- 1971

I like the song, made even better by the addition of the dancers, although a few more close ups of the ladies and less of MB would have been welcome.
I also like those knitted bra top and fringed skirt outfits but there is just insufficient of the dancers to score more than a 6 with the enthusiastic Babs my Dotd.

Re: HOT LOVE (VERSION 2) -- 1971

As Pan's People only fleetingly appear during this performance, there's not much that I can really say abou them here, other than, that they're a nice backdrop against T'Rex, an this looks like a bonus appearance from them, & they perform a regular dance routine, with the stage all to themselves elsewhere during this particular edition of TOTPs?
Ruth seems to be particularly enjoying the occasion, & looks like Wonder Woman.

7/10

DotD:-

Ruth

Re: HOT LOVE (VERSION 2) -- 1971

Old Grey Whistler
I rate this as one of the classic songs from this era. It is a shame that we only get fleeting glimpses of Pans though. A little more of them and a little less of the audience would have been welcome. It's because of this that I can only score it 7 out of 10. Dancer of the day is Babs.

Re: HOT LOVE (VERSION 2) -- 1971

I think we can be fairly confident that the ladies had already danced to another song earlier in the show, a not uncommon occurrance around this time.
That Dotd choice has me puzzled though.

Re: HOT LOVE (VERSION 2) -- 1971

PansLegs
I believe I have said before that the vast majority of the T.Rex / Marc Bolan singles I find mind numbing in their repetitiveness and with PP relegated to backing mode as well, the result is not going to be the best. However, in terms of good shots of the girls, for a backing number there are some decent ones (as Vin has shown), just wish they lasted longer. The outfits are pretty good too... if only the camera concentrated on Pans more as opposed to the boring trio of blokes on stage. Oh well...

My DotD is Dee Dee but I can only give the sequence 4/10, due to no fault of our dancers

Re: HOT LOVE (VERSION 2) -- 1971

Yeah there is a sparsity of Pans People in this, but any excuse to watch the great Marc Bolan and T-Rex is very welcome and this is another terrific track too. As for DOTD, well rather than pick a dancer like Ruth who has practically zero camera time, i will select `Flick`, who is more visible and is obviously quite enjoying proceedings.

Very difficult to know how to rate this. I think about `5.75 out of 10`.

Re: HOT LOVE (VERSION 2) -- 1971

Gorgeous Daze
Having the privilege of Pan's makes the occasion even more like the inauguration of the crown two-penny prince of pop. Despite an appearance to the contrary there's only one glittering star here, and I think that's right. It's a pivotal moment of pop gold but very hard to satisfactorily rate when we're focusing on dancers with little more than a cameo basically enjoying a chance to let their hair down at the end of the show. Down another level are the audience, some of whom look like they might begin to get the hang of their thing with another ten hours' tuition. The beauty of the long repetitive coda is it's so eminently singa-clapa-long-able it unites people and becomes like a mini-addiction, a great vibe no-one wants to end. I think this is evident in the increasing letting-go in the dancing, most noticeably but not untypically from DOTD Dee Dee. The coming-togetherness the song inspires is also found in the girls abandoning their elevated formation to dance in front of T Rex.

Appealing costumes, one can only hope the main event turns up one day. Sinuous moves among the fun. Of what we do get of Pan's everything is right.  7.5/10

Re: HOT LOVE (VERSION 2) -- 1971

Mikey
No doubt this is a very good T-Rex performance, so thanks to those careful folks at German TV who valued their archive we can at least view it. From the brief snippets of Pans it seems like there is a good deal going on yet frustratingly these mere glimpses make for a very fragmented affair, and i think on balance I prefer version 2, or is that version 1?, whatever the other version. Still it looks like everyone is enjoying themselves and thats what matters for these artist support dances. Its no Jeepster though, 7.5/10. DOTD Flick.

Re: HOT LOVE (VERSION 2) -- 1971

Witht he confusion over the dates, yes I hold my hand up I was wrong.

I find this not so appealing as the other fun audience participating version (with the Pans glimpses - see if you can spot them)

A great track and my fav T'Trx track, pans are simply wasted opportunity in this.

Scores: 6/10

DOTD: Dee Dee (yummy)

Re: HOT LOVE (VERSION 2) -- 1971

bucksby
great track of course as for pans well it is like 1981! Babs seems to be enjoying herself so DOTD to her. really cant give a mark for routine.

Re: HOT LOVE (VERSION 2) -- 18/03/1971

Considering all Pans People are doing in this clip is providing a backing dance, their contribution makes an impression and elevates a normal band's appearance on TOTP's into something more special.

I like the thought that this was the moment Glam Rock was born. However, without the input of Pans People with their sliver boots and knitted bikini tops, then the birth of Glam Rock would never have happened on 18th March 1971.

6/10 for the dance.
DotD is Babs who has more camera time than the others

Re: HOT LOVE (VERSION 2) -- 18/03/1971

Vin, Cornershop has this image of Matchbox dated 18-3-71, which matches the exact set design with the 2 coloured blocks stacked one on top of the other.

Interesting... that might indicate that Hot Love was also performed on 18/03/71. All we need now is an image of 15/04/71 showing something completely different!
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: HOT LOVE (VERSION 2) -- 18/03/1971

Mikey
The only one that seems to survive 15/04 is Brown Suger by The Rolling Stones, the set is a little different that week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B0Y3LUqr1Q

Re: HOT LOVE (VERSION 2) -- 18/03/1971

Doc
I think this is the stacked cube* positioned at the opposite end of the stage to The Stones.

(* Yes I know it's not really a cube)
Sandy Borne Appreciation Society