HOW DEEP IS YOUR LOVE -- [November]

HOW DEEP IS YOUR LOVE  Dance number 71 by Legs & Co
Performed by The Bee Gees and reaching number 3 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 10/11/77 Duration of dance --  2.40 mins
Dancers -- Gill, Lulu, Rosie, Patti, Pauline.

Pauline 67            Gill 64
Lulu 66                Patti 64
Rosie 65              Sue 64
A link to the dance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk5RMl5pcjQ

   First of, i absolutely love this song, by far my fav Bee Gees song. It reminds me of when young Ryan was smooching away to the final song of the night at the school disco, jeez that was a life time ago or so it seems. What an odd choice of costume for the girls, Noel joked about them looking like builders or something of that nature, i always thought they looked liked Farmers daughters. Then again, im sure this was the kind of garb that The Sloan Square Set used to dress in in the late 70s ?
   This routine is another of those feel good routines in my book. One cant help but smiling seeing these gorgeous women. The choreography is spot on for this song, nothing flamboyant, just simple dance moves which the girls deliver in their usual friendly manner.
   The only part im not so keen on is Flicks over literal choreography were she gets the girls to overdo the pointing when the word `You` is sung, though ive chosen this for my smaller screen cap above. Once again its Lulu who catches the eye, don't you just love the way she sings along with the song, a habit shes always had and it just adds to her undoubted charm.
   I really like this routine so its gets 9 out of 10 in my watchable ratings.

Re: HOW DEEP IS YOUR LOVE -- 1977

Agreed about the actual dancing, but what's with such costumes?, they do look pretty much like farmer's daughter's. Most odd though is what looks like the wooden frame of an unfinished roof suspended above the stage that the girls were dancing underneath, it just looked kinda wierd.
Was it about this time that Lulu's hair underwent a dramatic transformation, it's as if at this point, she's had her hair done, it's covered p by the flat cap that she's wearing here, & next week she'd reveal her new permed hairstyle to everybody, I'm probably mistaken but that's how I'm currently seeing things, while not noticing when these TOTPs episodes originally premiered.
A good performance all of the same, despite Sue's absence.

Re: HOW DEEP IS YOUR LOVE -- 1977

Andeebee
Love the song, loathe the routine, but the ladies are lovely (minus Sue)

4/10 (and that was generous - roll on Turn To Stone)

Re: HOW DEEP IS YOUR LOVE -- 1977

Old Bill
I'm totally with Ryan here, I love this song and love the dance. And I have nothing against Flick's literally interpretted moves.

"A feel good dance" sums this wonderfully. Everything is calm and understated and the result is wonderful.

So they're dressed as rustic lasses dancing in a barn and obviously has nothing to do with the song, which is the complete opposite of literal interpretations. I guess sometimes Flick is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't!
Of course I have no clue where the farm theme came from but I think it works really well.

And I love the outfits. I think they look wonderful. In my top 5 favourite outfits.

Superb stuff girls! The ending is a bit uninspired but that's a minor quibble. Happiness abounds from under that unfinished roof!

A 9.5 / 10 from me. Would be a 10 if Sue was there.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: HOW DEEP IS YOUR LOVE -- 1977

Andeebee
Give maid in heaven a 10 OB....

Re: HOW DEEP IS YOUR LOVE -- 1977

Suefan
Flat caps and corduroy trousers would not be my first choice for a Legs costume but that slight jaunty air to the dance always draws me into this performance so it deserves at least a 7.5.

Re: HOW DEEP IS YOUR LOVE -- 1977

Old Bill
I'm afraid I prefer the Bee Gees to the Be Bops!
Jeremiah 31:13
LNV

Re: HOW DEEP IS YOUR LOVE -- 1977

LNV
Lulu is a marvel in ‘How Deep is your Love.’ If you were to ask someone how they would go about hiding the allure of six sexy dancers, well on this occasion five of them. Then the clothing as worn by Legs & Co in this dance number would be close to getting the desired result of a performance that is non sexual. The clothing has dampened down their attraction to some extent, yet Lulu’s sparkle just can’t be dimmed, she is so right for the tomboyish role and with her magnetism she breaks free from it. To offer up another Aussie tv soap analogy, Lulu has a similar look to how Charlene was when introduced to us in Neighbours; but easily ten times more awesomely attractive. Lulu was now becoming a young woman out growing the pretty little thing of her Ruby Flipper days to some extent; her inner flame is irresistible and she lights up this Routine so powerfully.
Rosie is the centre of calm in the performance and her tranquillity is both comforting and delightful to see once again and has a solo moment too. Rosie conveys the world at peace with itself feeling of the song, as does the choreography with its smooth gracefulness.

8/10.

Re: HOW DEEP IS YOUR LOVE -- 1977

PattiForPM
Well I really like this one.  I can't quite fathom why no-one has mentioned the svelte siren in the red trousers.  Yes Lulu looks great but Patti oh Patti you shine right through these outifts.  I like to imagine the ladies shooting clay pigeons right after this Dance then into the mansion for tea and scones and an evening of Dance and delightfully mannered conversation.  I do find that the Troupe looks attractive in these slacks and waistcoats and even the flat caps have their own appeal.  The song is indeed wonderful and the moves fit it well even if some of the gestures are pronounced.  It's soothing and has a mildly amusing jaunty feel to the whole episode. 8.5/10

Re: HOW DEEP IS YOUR LOVE -- 1977

Those red trousers did fit Patti extremely well, i will grant you that !

Re: HOW DEEP IS YOUR LOVE -- 1977

Mighty fine and certainly earns Patti the front seat in Lulu's Range Rover while they rescue the wandering Llamas

Re: HOW DEEP IS YOUR LOVE -- 1977

Andeebee
time for a lie down for you P4PM....

Re: HOW DEEP IS YOUR LOVE -- 1977

Adorable Gillusion
Got to be amongst my least favourite routines, probably the worst costumes Legs ever wore too.  Just can't watch this one. Awful  2/10

Re: HOW DEEP IS YOUR LOVE -- 1977

Old Bill
Haha - i think the costumes are one of the best!! Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder I guess!
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: HOW DEEP IS YOUR LOVE -- 1977

Andeebee
you must of downed bout 15 pints then

Re: HOW DEEP IS YOUR LOVE -- 1977

I also quite like the costumes and im stone cold sober !

Re: HOW DEEP IS YOUR LOVE -- 1977

PattiForPM
Me too (it's 9am here so unless I'm drunk on Shreddies)

Re: HOW DEEP IS YOUR LOVE -- 1977

Andeebee
love to see that P4PM

Re: HOW DEEP IS YOUR LOVE -- 1977

Old Bill
I'm just drunk with love for Legs in flat-caps.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: HOW DEEP IS YOUR LOVE -- 1977

Lookmacinanger
Were Legs and Co doing a gig down at the farmers show in Olympia, before coming over to TV centre for TOTP and not having time to get changed in between, they must have been! Got to be the only reason why 5 beautiful girls are dressed like this. 5/10
12