Quantcast

Happy New 1977

Doc
So here in retro land it's finally 1977. So what happened this year? Well here's a brief summary for the UK

January
The first ever Ford Fiesta is sold in the UK.
Clive Sinclair launches a 2 inch TV set.
April
Red Rum wins the Grand National for the third time.
The Snooker World Championship is shown on TV for the first time.
May
HMS Invincible launched (sent for scrap in 2016)
Liverpool win the First Division and Man Utd win the FA Cup beating Liverpool, who make up for the loss by winning the European Cup for the first time.
The Queens Silver Jubilee celebrations are started in this month.
June
Wimbledon FC are elected to the Football League.
August
Geoff Boycott scores his 100th century in the Ashes test at Headingly.
The new smaller £1 note is introduced.
September
Marc Bolan is killed in a car crash
Freddie Laker's budget Skytrain to America ia launched.
November
BA launch a regular supersonic flight to New York with Concorde
December
Star Wars is screened in the UK

Throughout the year the Yorkshire Ripper is on his killing spree.
Colour TV licences are more expensive that Black and White ones for the first time ever.

Born this year (UK)
Orlando Bloom (Actor)
Chris Martin (Singer)
Sarah Storey (Swimmer/Cyclist)

Died this year (UK)
Anthony Eden (former Prime Minister)
Marc Bolan (Singer)
Charlie Chaplin (Actor)

Re: Happy New 1977

Funny i can remember where and when i was when i first heard Marc Bolan had died, but not so Elvis, whose demise for some reason didn't really seem to impact on me that much. I was queuing up in school to get into a classroom when someone told us the news about Marc and it was truly shocking. He wasn't the force he was in the early 70s after 3 years or so of almost nothing, but he certainly gained new younger fans with his ITV show Marc, which aired in the late summer of 77.

Re: Happy New 1977

Doc
I remember Elvis going, I'm pretty sure they played his records one after another all day.

Re: Happy New 1977

My best mates sister was a massive Elvis fan and i remember her sobbing for days on end. At the time he was just an singer from the olden days, obviously now i know better.

Re: Happy New 1977

CoffeeThing
I remember Elvis dying. I was sat at the Menominee table (very 1970s!) in our dining room when it came over the radio. It was bright out with a splash of sun coming through the window.

Re: Happy New 1977

Dancer
Yes I remember Elvis Presley dying.  It was announced as a late news item on the News at Ten on ITV in a real laissez faire approach.  The presenter went "oh we just have some news in that the singer Elvis Presley has died".  It did not impact on me at all but Mom was really sad and the next day Radio 1 just played his songs continuously and I was so angry because Donna Summer was still No.1 and I wanted to hear that.  It was like the world had ended for some.  The village had a surreal atmosphere to it.

I cannot remember Marc Bolan passing away at all which I find unusual because I really liked his music.  Maybe it was because like Ryan I was at school.  No one in my class even commented on it.
Don't be a party pooper, be a super dooper hula hooper

Re: Happy New 1977

Really enjoy your bullet point list Doc.  Don't remember much about that year at all.  I remember the Yorkshire Ripper spree though.  Commercial radio started to be interrupted with a prolonged message.

The Jubilee!  Remember that one because everyone was issued with a special coin.  I still have mine.  It's value was two pound.
Don't be a party pooper, be a super dooper hula hooper

Re: Happy New 1977

Doc
and a Jubilee mug!

Re: Happy New 1977

Dancer wrote
  The Jubilee!  Remember that one because everyone was issued with a special coin.  I still have mine.  It's value was two pound.
Hmm, not sure the Jubilee coins found their way to a certain Derby housing estate.

Re: Happy New 1977

Gorgeous Daze
Yes I've a feeling this was an extremely parochial everyone.

Re: Happy New 1977

I had two Ryan.  Dad gave me from Goodyears and we had one from the Parents Association at school.  No mugs though. There were copious street parties that week.
Don't be a party pooper, be a super dooper hula hooper

Re: Happy New 1977

Yes we had a street party, i remember that fondly. But no jubilee coinage came our way, so it appears not everybody received them.

Re: Happy New 1977

mojo2007
The bar I frequented in those days was shocked over Elvis and after it closed we went to someone's home  and listened to records all night. We left at 5  as we had to get some sleep before work.  Saw the Queen  when I went to lunch from an office in Bristol. The opening moments of Starwars , in a big cinema, were stunning.  Nothing like it had ever been seen. Great year.