Hi All

Hopster
Just registered (and being a CG and SM fan) to say OFTD is a great appreciation page for all the dancers (and their admirers) who put their heart and soul into what they did. Great archive material - credit for putting it together. I may have been aware of this site previously, but just taking a trip down memory lane, came across some classic music with some classic dancers prompted me to register.
There is something about the era of television which we have grown up with - the progression from black and white into the colour era. The pogression of social change through the years, undoubtably not for the better, but driven by the media we all have in the corner of our room.
The dancers were a ray of sunlight, in lets face it were pretty bleak times from the late sixties onwards, from 4 day weeks, to football violence, the decline of industries and later the miners strikes. They were unoffenssive, unless you had an axe to grind.
In this day and age we are TOLD what we can and cant like.
Credit to the BBC for Pans People (& Go Jo's) through to Legs and Co. They knew exactly what they wanted to achieve in ratings and the desired effect it would have, at the end of the day it was entertainment. A massive diss-credit to them for not appreciating what they had.
The best documentary on all the dance troupes is yet to be made, I hope they do it, but doudbt they will.
They all deserve their place in BBC TV history, they are a British Institution in the same way as the Classic BBC sitcoms, double acts and variety shows - a part of British culture. (Do you have to be male to say this??) but the girls were better and made more of a contribution to that show (TOTP) than SOME of the dire acts they had on there. Who would have thought that over the years they would come out better and stand the test of time over SOME of the DJ presenters.
When women started to make more of an impact in the charts wih the likes of Blondie and Kate Bush, Siouxie Sioux etc the shows sex appeal started to even out as prior to this most chart acts would be male. Its unfortunate, but timely and inevitable that it would come to an end.
It strikes me now, I couldnt see it when I was younger (funny that) - now looking with older eyes,  at just how professional Legs & Co were. lol. :-) sorry Sue.

Re: Hi All

Hi Hopster and welcome to the site. I enjoyed reading your intro piece and agree with all your comments. I really concur with your thoughts about how the mainstream media tell us what to like and not what to like. I doubt very much the politically correct elite of today would look to kindly on our dancers. Thank goodness then for the internet and OFTDs where we can appreciate them without hindrance or interference.

We have more routines to watch on the OFTDs blog than on Youtube, so if you are hankering for some 70's action, give it a whirl and enjoy.

Re: Hi All

Who's That Hurll
Thanks for hopping over to the forum. Please feel free to vote in the music and TOTP polls. How long have you been watching the BBC4 TOTP repeats for?

Re: Hi All

Hopster wrote
 the girls were better and made more of a contribution to that show (TOTP) than SOME of the dire acts they had on there.
Glad you're a Hopster and not a Hipster

100% correct with what you say there Hopster. The girls were a real highlight on TOTPs and something worth looking forward to on the show. So many shabby performances from one hit wonders, but the girls were consistent quality week in week out.