How much did our Food cost in 1977? Remember these prices?

How much did our Food cost in 1977? Remember these prices?

Floid Fan
Here's an old Tescos ad from 1977 giving us the then cost of common food items on sale at Tescos 35 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRIfbC1GfiU

Maybe it's just me but I don't think prices have increased too badly in 35 YEARS!!! Can you still get Ski yoghurt, I wonder? Interesting to see they liked to add a halfpenny to all there prices back then.

By the way, I'm not promoting that particular supermarket chain. This just happened to be the first I stumbled across.
Carl

Re: How much did our Food cost in 1977? Remember these prices?

Well, Every Little Helps !!  Why were yogurt pots that shape in the 70s ?

Re: How much did our Food cost in 1977? Remember these prices?

PattiforPM
Not sure about those yoghurt pots Ryan but interesting to see those prices.  I certainly don't recall thinking in grams and litres back then (I barely do this now except at work).  Is this really the original soundtrack?

Re: How much did our Food cost in 1977? Remember these prices?

I miss halfpennys, bring them back into circulation.

Re: How much did our Food cost in 1977? Remember these prices?

bucksby
I love watching those old adverts on youtube. there was a brilliant Woolworths one from December 1978 posted by Pans archive as it featured Dee Dee. I love all things retro but I did notice that Quality Street tins were £4.99 back then (which was a lot) our Tesco's are selling them for that price today!

Re: How much did our Food cost in 1977? Remember these prices?

Sweet English chicks fan
Hi FF
       As you have introduced the subject, viewers might like to ponder on the following.
  Next time you go to the checkout with your trolly,return 50% of all the vegetables together with 95% of the fruit.
  That is what we rely on other people sending us. UN forecasts three years ago predicted a uk pop of 105m by 2100.

Last year, UK food price inflation was 9%, top in the EU. The Horn of Africa famine has not prevented China, Saudia
Arabia and the Gulf states from exporting hundreds of millions of dollers worth of food from Ethiopia last year for
their OWN people to consume.  In this country, we have a rocketing population, due predominantly to immigration,
and a reducing space to accomodate human needs, we are an island.

Since 1989, on top of the loss of hundreds of thousands of acres of farmland for housing, roads, etc, we have
allowed the building of more than 800 golf courses on land that was or could have been farmed.

The South East has less rainfall per head of population than Syria or Morrocco, average daily consumption per head
per DAY in the South East is 170lts or over 13,000 gls per person per year. Metering reduces this by 10% only.

Most of your winter salad and veg comes from British owned or run farms in Southern Spain, where in Mercia alone,
more than 700 desalination plants are needed to suplement reducing fresh water supplies.

World over population is the problem, and ours too in UK, we have space for 40 m only, and thats if we import less
of our food, assuming there will be someone with spare food to sell to us.

My advise HAS to be, fight developments, this growth is not sustainable. Secure your local sources of food for the next
30 years , at least, and remember, Government debt, ie puplic debt, added to private debt, is now over 5 times the
UKs GDP. This means tax revenue has been pre spent by the last Gov and this one until probably 2050 at least.

What does this have to do with food prices,- everything. Read the OPT report August 2009, " Fewer people, Lower
Emissions, Less cost."  Grow everything you can, eat less meat, and waste nothing. Those prepared will manage.

       I hope this forewarns you, it's meant to.

Re: How much did our Food cost in 1977? Remember these prices?

Sweet English chicks fan
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: How much did our Food cost in 1977? Remember these prices?

Dave
Sue mentioned on the Pans site, they when she first joined PP, they too did an advert for Woolworths and the clothes line they did then,she said that the clothes were interesting !!   Would love to see that ad, does anyone know if it still exists in the cupboard of retro ads ?!             Dave

Re: How much did our Food cost in 1977? Remember these prices?

Sweet English chicks fan
Sorry everyone, systems crashed, sent twice because of freeze - up.

Re: How much did our Food cost in 1977? Remember these prices?

Shameless plug for my YouTube channel, which features among tons of other stuff, some UK ad breaks from 1977:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HKmw6BGgyg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoX_WTO7Dyk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_uC1XL24DU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU2qWwpxhwQ

Just a few examples. Back to the main programme now...

Re: How much did our Food cost in 1977? Remember these prices?

JEZ
Thanks for the links col and carl ,i too love to watch these old commercials on you tube ,especially as the old members on here will know ,my favourite shop of all time WOOLWORTHS ,the thing that struck me as well as bucksby was the quality street price from woolies 1978 xmas advert they were on sale at four pound odd ,should have been six pound ,twenty six ,well thats 26p more than they sell now in morrisons 34 years later,it brought it home to me about the time i had a discassette for xmas in 1973 ,it was a small hard plastic portable record player that played singles ,and could be carried around and used anywhere coz it worked by 6 hp batteries ,and it cost 13 pounds i think ,now 13 pounds doesent sound anything now ,but in 1973 for my mum and dad it must have been a small fortune on my dads wages ,so yes food prices have rose but im not sure about toys ,eletrical items etc,and i hated those half pences ,best thing they ever did is to get rid of them

prices have not rose much carl ,just noticed the price of jacobs cream crackers from 77 ,11 and halfp ,they are 90p now ,scandelous lol

my neighbour had one of those carry around record players. I remember it was around 1980 and they always played thier Nolans records on it! Haven't seen one of those for years. In that Woolworths advert from 1978 I am amazed at how expensive the record players were. I have some old catalogues from the 70s on a datadisc and the prices of electrical items was really high compared with today (especially colour tvs).

Nolans records played on a discassette ,hey bucksby i never realised  ex neighbour it was you that posted on here lol

Re: How much did our Food cost in 1977? Remember these prices?

bucksby
ha ha they were girls boths sisters one was eleven and one was 16. I was jealous of their records & record player but I was only five!