I AIN'T GONNA STAND FOR IT [January]

I AIN'T GONNA STAND FOR IT   Dance/performance number 242 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Stevie Wonder   reaching number 10 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  15/01/81  Duration of dance/performance 2.33 mins
Dancers--Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue.

Pauline  222
Sue      221
Rosie    219
Patti     215
Gill        214
Lulu      211

    *********** THIS ROUTINE WAS NOT SHOWN ON BBC4 ***************
This colourful routine is a long standing (no pun intended) favourite of mine as Legs & Co get themselves strapped in for what i think is their best routine for quite a while. The syrups are donned by a Sue & Gill (more wigs to come this month), whilst Pauline is swishing that suspiciously long pony tail about (looks like an extension to me). It doesn't take the cameraman long to focus in on a certain part of Rosie's anatomy does it, but centre stage quite rightly goes to the super supple Patti who puts on a great display of grace and poise. That closing shot of her in that position looks painful but she nails it with aplomb. Not a bad track either by Little Stevie and i enjoy the slow/quick/slow to the song and the routine.

Rating--Certainly one of my favourites from this year and i play it often. `10 out of 10` from me for this. Im not sure everyone will share my enthusiasm for this routine and i look forward to reading your comments and score ratings.

Re: I AIN'T GONNA STAND FOR IT [January]

PattiforPM
I'm a little in two minds about this one.  It's inventive and futuristic in some ways but a little too disguised and gymnastic for me in other ways.  I'm a bit ambivalent about the song too so I guess the Dance fits it from my perspective.  Patti's plinth plasticity wins my DotD really easily and her semi-crimped hair looks quite delightful to this impartial observer.  I feel like a bit of a stick in the mud as I type this but I think 8/10 is about right for my level of enjoyment here

Re: I AIN'T GONNA STAND FOR IT [January]

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
This is the best dance for a while, its upbeat and funky. It's an 8  from me

Gill looks alluring in blue hair, but Rosie  is back on top form so gets DotD.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: I AIN'T GONNA STAND FOR IT [January]

I agree with PattiForPM, the routine is cross between a dance routine and exercise moves.
However, it’s nice to get a performance that’s clean and not post edited with multiple video effects.
Does Lulu make an uncharacteristic mistake towards the end of the routine when she crouches down and Rosie and Sue don’t ?

DOTD is Patti for her excellent aerobics and spectacular back arch.
Routine scores 7/10

Re: I AIN'T GONNA STAND FOR IT [January]

Bit of a strange routine this, we've got wigs, futuristic style shades, tight body suits and a bit of bondage thrown in too, which looks very nice, but apart from Rosie, Lulu and Sue dancing at the back, there seems to be a lot of aerobics and crawling around the floor. Having said that though it works well and just shows the versatility of Flick and our girls and how they can do come up with something different for most routines.

Rating 8/10

DOTD Patti,who for me takes centre stage in this performance.

Re: I AIN'T GONNA STAND FOR IT [January]

An enjoyable and quirky routine.The costumes and wigs are strange and are not all to my taste,but it's good that they try different and new ways of presenting the routines.I like that there are three different things going on at once so one can't get bored.8/10
DotD:Patti

Re: I AIN'T GONNA STAND FOR IT [January]

This is a routine that I rarely play.  There is a remarkable degree of suppleness on offer but I'm just not a fan of the overall look.  I'll grant you that its dramatic, and it certainly is inventive, but I'm afraid I get little emotional connection from all the posing so its only a 5.  However, I'll take an early opportunity to break my usual duck by choosing Patti as Dotd.  (And as I'm going to be giving Patti a little stick for hogging too long a turn in two dances time perhaps its just as well.)

Re: I AIN'T GONNA STAND FOR IT [January]

PattiforPM
 and

Re: I AIN'T GONNA STAND FOR IT [January]

Colm
There's definitely a contrast between the previous routine and this one... a better song to dance to IMO, and more scope for presentation.

DotD: Patti

Score: 8

Re: I AIN'T GONNA STAND FOR IT [January]

Another great Legs & Co., performance, sadly a victim, of Operation Yewtree. The dress code appears to be, as a "star-ship" crew, from the 22nd Century, but maybe more significantly, the particularly ingenious application of literal licence, such as about the mid-point, where, Patti seems to follow Stevie Wonder's lyrics by leaning to one side, & cocking her leg, so that her shoe's placed under the face of Rosie(?), & then Patti's "good luck charm", in other words, her wedding ring, in that close-up shot of her hands in the air, & I'm sure that there's a rush to get down on the floor when the chorus is sung.
This must be the only appearance of this particular track, in any capacity?

9/10

DotD:-

Patti

Re: I AIN'T GONNA STAND FOR IT [January]

Gorgeous Daze
Legs warmers! - the Famed eighties have arrived already on TOTP. But far from dreams of stardom this has the rarefied feel of coming across a living art installation. Keeping Fit On The Planet Zog, perhaps. Centre stage and corr element is the supple show from Patti, the pinnacle of fitness. Does the concept work out with the regular kinda sound? Frankly, no. Does it matter much? Again, no, this is a good watch nonetheless. The day-glo bodysuits complete with straps are a winner, the space-age wigs and shades - though instrumental to the moderately weird feel - obscure some of the beauty of the supporting cast

I quite like the song despite Stevland's reedy vocals, as if worn thin by being heavily worked from a young age when as time will soon tell it was his creativity that was actually drying up. Alternating Pilates with a bit of a bop works well, and there's always something about a feline prowl which speaks to the natural instinct. Patti eventually breaks free of what looked set to be a rigidly literal solo, and it's a neat touch when she crumples back down at the onset of the second chorus. I half expect the piece de resistance to be a crane lowering and hoisting her up by the straps. I imagine the great fairground in Heaven has such a game.

DOTD: The Tangerine Dream placed on a pedestal. The Platoon ain't gonna stand for Patti being the wrong sort of rear of the table this year. (Despite a key soldier going AWOL and neutral friends retiring from the field).

I can't quite stretch to 9.  8.75/10

Re: I AIN'T GONNA STAND FOR IT [January]

It will be more of a twig really as perhaps that awful coloured wig that Flick had made her wear was, in the end, just to much and she couldn't take that final step up into her rightful place on the first floor of the podia!

Re: I AIN'T GONNA STAND FOR IT [January]

The Rubberband Man wrote
Does Lulu make an uncharacteristic mistake towards the end of the routine when she crouches down and Rosie and Sue don’t ?
Thats quite a good spot TRBM, and its a bit difficult to say with Lulu being the centrally placed dancer of the three if it was a planned crouch down or not. I think i would edge towards it being a error though, but not enough for it to look to untidy or to noticeable ( i mean ive never spotted it before) .

Re: I AIN'T GONNA STAND FOR IT [January]

Sue Menhenick
It's no an error ..... It was choreographed that way !

Re: I AIN'T GONNA STAND FOR IT [January]

any chance of a score rating Sue

Re: I AIN'T GONNA STAND FOR IT [January]

Gorgeous Daze
And a DOTD.

Re: I AIN'T GONNA STAND FOR IT [January]

AC/PD
Might be fairer if we re-enact the dance routines and Sue 'Revel Horwood' gets the chance to rate and slate them.

Re: I AIN'T GONNA STAND FOR IT [January]

AC/PD
"...a groovy dance routine in leg-warmers!" Used up but not worn out, the fitness fashion accessories of the day double in number and adorn the nicely unusual full-body numbers. One wonders if they're in training to do battle with an early 80's James Bond - at Roger Moore's age that wouldn't have taken long. What would have taken long might have been Flick's decision on how best to approach the verses in which Stevie Wonder's Country & Western drawl sounds like anyone but the man himself. Pair up Legs & Co., back-to-back 10-pace walks and spin round for a quick-fire shoot-out at the arrival of the fast-paced chorus?
In keeping with the pleasantly shifting tempo, Flick's decision is stylish and wonderfully weird with odd little bits going on all over the place, aided in no small part by the slanted camera angle, particularly the moment when Gill crawls across the screen in the manner of the Dulux dog in the aftermath of an accident involving a tin of paint,looking sheepish in the process.
Regarding the eye furniture, I think they add to the overall eccentricity of the piece. With her real hair longer than it had ever been, Pauline's pigtail swishes propeller-like around what looks to be a titchy snorkel and divers mask, just needing to affix a harpoon between the straps. Slightly baffling is what looks like a 'blind leading the blind' moment involving Rosie, a backwards facing Lulu and with Sue in a wig the style of which was seen atop Python Graham Chapman in an excessively weird Meaning On Life skit.
The lithesome Patti fully earns her role on the main plinth, the setting for her own contented universe. Her awakening rise towards the end of the first chorus is perfectly timed and captured. A move more impressive than her concluding arc is the moment Patti sinks to her knees (ouch), concluding the move which involved a slow stretching of her fingertips skywards. The urge to reach out and connect with Patti's tips is a strong one.
That SF is sufficiently swayed to break his duck says much about P. Hammond's performance.
9/10
DOTD: Duck Patti a l'orange.

Re: I AIN'T GONNA STAND FOR IT [January]

I do like the record, and occasionally there's some real nice dancing going on. Interesting to watch but not captivating.

7 / 10
If I only had one love yours would be the one I'd choose

Re: I AIN'T GONNA STAND FOR IT [January]

PattiforPM
<quote author="VintageVideo
 I keep thinking, this is how TVC15 might have looked with an all-female troupe!
</quote>

Yup, Floid on a small TV screen in skimpy clothing would definitely have changed some reviewers' interpretations

Thanks for the input Sue and if you want to choose "Best Reviewer of the Dance" instead of DotD that would be perfectly reasonable (just might give the ladies a opportunity for some revenge too!)