I BELIEVE YOU -- [November]

I BELIEVE YOU Dance number 70 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Dorothy Moore and reaching number 20 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 03/11/77  Duration of dance --  2.41 mins
Dancers -- Gill, Lulu, Rosie, Patti, Pauline, Sue

Pauline 66                Sue 64
Lulu 65                    Gill 63
Rosie 64                  Patti 63
A link to the dance
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x24un94_legs-co-i-believe-you-totp-tx-03-11-1977_creation

  Well if any a routine ever benefited from having TV exposure it surely must be this one. I can only remember seeing the crusty old copy we've had on here, so to see the girls in stunning picture quality on BBC4 last night dancing to this was really nice. Ive watched it over and over again, i find it just enchanting.
   Lulu was clearly the stand out performer, her innocent radiant smile shown through, and i like the opening scene seeing her standing there waiting to begin. Each girl has her own close ups, each looking so lovely. Strangely for me, i didn't find the scenery to distracting, as the giant croquet hoops were used in the dance for the girls to wander through.
   The song is very pleasant and it really should have climbed higher. Cant make my mind up about the shapeless costumes, but these girls would make bin liners look sexy.
   Im going to score it quite highly. One reason is because its nice to see Legs & Co back making excellent dance routines, after a poorish month. The other reason is because all six girls were bang on the money in this, so from me its 9.25 out of 10.

Re: I BELIEVE YOU -- 1977

I can forgive the Garden Centre/McDonalds arches in this. This is the stuff I adore Legs for, stunning.

I almost nearly kissed the TV screen when I saw the crystal clarity of Sue in this (I think Ryan could back me up on this).....so so beautiful.  Nice new hairstyle as well...

I won't take it away from the other girls they all look radiant, Lulu has matured nicely, Gill looks ravishing...need I go on.

Marvelous under-rated routine, what on earth were they wearing???

This will be up for your viewing pleasure tomorrow or sunday morn

10 out of 10

Re: I BELIEVE YOU -- 1977

AC/PD
This is a routine I've never seen before, as I want to stagger the performances over a period of time and not consume them as fast as possible.
The dance routine fitted the song perfectly in it's swishing elegance and graceful movements.
Additionally it's one of those dances where the ladies tiptoe gracefully into their positions aever now and again which always currys favour with me.
One of the best aspects was that the ladies received lovely close-up portrait camera shots, each one bathed in a golden glow, and yes, there is something of a 'look' about Lulu on occasion.
The arches make for simple yet effective scenery although I did wonder why Rosemary spent a fair amount of time under the stray one , separate from the other five : maybe it was the 'Naughty Arch'.
If it weren't for the bubble-wrap-cum-table-cloth ponchos I'd give this a 10.

Re: I BELIEVE YOU -- 1977

Paperboyplod
This is another very pleasant to watch dance routine, with the girls' gentle dance moves, what puzzles me though, is the usage of archways, but where there's nothing else on stage, it looks like they started to build the set, but didn't have the time to finish it, & is it me?, or the dresses, just re-cycled net curtains, & what's with the colour scheme, on a tv screen it looks like the blue chrominance of the screen has failed, as green & red colours seem to predominate, creating this dull yellowish hue, with little bits of green & red. Near perfection would be achieved just by a better set design

LNV

Re: I BELIEVE YOU -- 1977

LNV
Is it a coincidence that Lulu and Rosie who are both the youngest in the Troupe are also very much the brightest? When Lulu smiles I want to and when Lulu smiles I have the feeling that the whole world does also. Often it is the case that Lulu’s sparkle-eyed look to camera makes her adorable to so many. That round face with delightful playful eyes, almost cartoon like in its harmonious proportioned perfection. As if a pencilled drawing had become alive from within the pages of a Teenage Romance Magazine. Lulu is many mans favourite, oh and why not the female audience too? Such charm she has. And for all this Rosie can better her appeal for me, perhaps it is to do with Rosie appearing to be more a part of reality. Rosie even though younger than Lulu which is still something I have to remind myself of due to Rosie’s more mature appearance and bearing which gives Rosie a solidity that reaches out to her admirers. Rosie is at her best when able to express an air of aristocratic aloofness and grace, and so she does here. Though not as obviously and as well known as in ‘Hotel California.’ And not to be confused with arrogance that some have also mistakenly seen in Sue. I’d say that it is Sue who has an air of jaunty cockiness about her, in her manner of performing. Which thinking back to some of the very earliest comments made on the Blog could be seen as a self-belief of superiority in dance prowess, though if you’ve got it why not flaunt it? As the saying goes. Sue has what it takes and just wants to express freely her abilities, as would any proud but grateful artist in the medium they are able to express themselves in. Rosie’s appearance of nonchalance I think stops many from picking her as their over-riding favourite and consequently on many occasions opt for the easier appeal of Lulu.
Lulu and Rosie sparkle the most for me, like pistons in the Legs & Co engine when one of them I find withdrawn and therir personal magnetism is not as strong as can be the other is evident, in full charismatic horsepower to keep the Routine’s interest going for me.

Now for the Routine, I get to it at last! The shower curtain dresses and keep-fit leotards are not the most stylish of outfits ever worn by Legs, yet there is a certain modern chic about them, so whether the choice was made to wear such attire by the budget constraints or a costumiers bravery, well done I say. You made it work out all right in the end for the needs of the dance routine. The clarity of the presentation is a strong factor in the likeability of the performance, the clear close ups of the Legs Ladies work well. But oh my, why the out of focus last shot of Rosie? I put this down to a mistimed fade out to out of focus, either that or the cameraman forgot what he should be doing when Lulu gazed into his lens, which I’ll forgive him for as it is easily done!

Re: I BELIEVE YOU -- 1977

This is a performance of paradoxes for me.  As others have noted the set is odd, like giant croquet hoops or a massive toast rack, and those outer garments are definitely like shower curtains as YMG has stated.  Despite these odd elements the ladies are at their most ravishing and for once we are allowed time to admire them.  Also the moves are smooth and the whole effect is one of class and beauty which quite easily overcomes the oddness of the set and clothing.  It's actually a triumph of the Dancers over adversity and I have to award 8/10

Re: I BELIEVE YOU -- 1977

Suefan
Not a fan of those costumes and that premature fade out at the end is a pity but otherwise this deserves a good mark.  The set works fine, providing an indoor arbor in which to promenade, and the dance is one of elegance and poise throughout.

Re: I BELIEVE YOU -- 1977

Old Bill
I thought at first I wasn't go to like this one, I thought I didn't like the song, I thought I didn't like the outfits, I thought I didn't like the set. But how wrong could I be. I really really like it. Even the song - a real ear-worm!

The dance is wonderful, they just look and move so beautifully elegantly. Lulu's look over her shoulder during her little solo stint is mind blowing as LNV has already described. Miss Cartwright - do you know how happy you make me!? Very! And yes, i am asking you - so will you marry me?? A Patti's little look up & down at around 2.28 is quite possibly the sexiest thing I have seen for a long time! *loosens collar*

The toast-rack scenery is nice too, odd but nice. Flick's wonderful imagination isn't often wrong.

Everything here just works really well and I like it a lot more than I think I should.

Just a slight shame that Rosie gets the rough end of the focus-pull at the end.

If you believe me it gets 8 / 10 for me.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: I BELIEVE YOU -- 1977

Lookmacinanger
This post was updated on .
Shower curtains, table cloths and archways are not enough to distract this viewer from the beautiful close ups of this routine.  My favourite way of spending 2.41 min of my time at the moment, I Believe You, I certainly do ladies. 9/10

Re: I BELIEVE YOU -- 1977

Adorable Gillusion
Agreed Mac, always love the close-ups, and we are really spoilt in this one. The girls all look stunning... especially Patti and Gill. Quite an enjoyable routine for a slow song . So a 7/10 from me.
Stu

Re: I BELIEVE YOU -- 1977

Stu
I'm sure there's more technical routines been done, but as usual I'll base my score on how much I enjoy the performance, and usually for a slow number that would mean a relatively low mark from me, however this is one of my favourites that I can watch over and over again. It's an absolutely gorgeous song and Flick's done such a good job it's hard to tell whether the routine was made for the song or the other way around. The girls take flirting with the camera to a whole new level in this one, but as usual Lulu comes out on top in that department.  Love it.

10/10

Stuey

Re: I BELIEVE YOU -- 1977

VintageVideos
Really nice routine but just an ok song. The lighting is favourable and the setting meets my approval. With a different song it would score higher but 8.5 /10 isn't bad either.

Re: I BELIEVE YOU -- 1977

Doc
A dance that works suprisingly well, the gold look to the stage helps a lot. The outfits are a bit dodgy, but the ladies do lots of smiling which more than makes up for it. After some thought I'll let this scrape in with a 9.

Re: I BELIEVE YOU -- 1977

PaulF
Very enjoyable routine to watch. I thiink Gill comes out best on the close up shots and I'm slightly disappointed with the close ups of Sue and Rosie at the end. Still a 9/10 for the poise and elegance (and flirting) of the ladies.
Paul

Re: I BELIEVE YOU -- 1977

bucksby
 now here is my chance to comment. I too do not like the set very bland and unexciting. the girls do look great though. Also I think the song is a grower never liked it at first but after hearing it a few times it is better.  A solid dance an 8 out of 10.

Re: I BELIEVE YOU -- 1977

Gorgeous Daze
Through and around the arches in incandescent lemon and lime body-suits. Tasty. Though I can't say I like the diaphanous sacks, something more elegant was needed. The routine is all very nice and quite expressive. But tailored to the bland end-of-the-night romantic song it isn't one that sticks in the mind. I think my rating of it might suffer from comparison to the fantastic run of routines from 78 we're experiencing at the moment. But those close ups of lovely smiling faces at the end do raise it half a mark for me.

An also-ran of 77.  6/10

Re: I BELIEVE YOU -- 1977

Despite the costumes being a little odd the poise and elegance of the routine deserves a decent mark so I'll give this one an 8.

Re: I BELIEVE YOU -- 1977

Old Grey Whistler
After some experimentation with previous routines in 1977, it is good to see a well lit production which gives us a clear view of our girls, and they all look divine in this. The lone arch off to the side seems a little odd and was presumably because the stage wasn't quite big enough to align it with the others. I am not at all familiar with this song which must have passed me by at the time. This is a good routine but not one of my favourites, so I will give it 8 out of 10.

Re: I BELIEVE YOU -- 1977

Angie
Not a fan of the song.....but the routine is good......not a lot you could with this choreography-wise I suppose!

Re: I BELIEVE YOU -- 1977

Colm
A gentler pace than "Black Betty" of the previous week, and a splendid showcase for the compelling beauty and elegance of Legs and Co.

Score: 9
12