I CAN'T STOP -- 02/05/1974

I Can't Stop
Performed by The Osmonds and reaching number 12 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 02/05/1974 Duration of dance - 2.53 mins
Dancers: Babs, Cherry, Louise, Ruth
A link to the dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSvcl8aXJ1U

Contrary to popular belief, the Osmonds recording career did not start in 1970/71, but in 1963 when they were known as "The Osmond Brothers". The quartet (still without Donny!) began singing barbershop music for local audiences in and around their hometown of Ogden, Utah, as early as 1958 with the four brothers aged 3, 5, 7 and 9. From 1962-1969 they were regulars on the "Andy Williams Show", and during this time they made their first albums and singles, a lot of them especially for the Japanese market (!).
1967 saw the release of a single on the UNI record label (owned by MCA records) with the title "Flower Music" which was backed by a track called "I Can't Stop" (UNI 55015). Like all the other Osmond Brothers singles, it wasn't a success.
In 1970, the brothers shortened their name to "The Osmonds" and changed their image and record label (now on MGM), and the rest, as they say, is history. The first single billed as "The Osmonds", "One Bad Apple", shot to No. 1 in the US charts, and remained there for an impressive run of 5 weeks.
No wonder UNI records wanted to cash in on the newly found success and rereleased "I Can't Stop" (still as "The Osmond Brothers") early in 1971. UNI 55276 made the US Hot 100 for one week (No. 96) while OBA held its last week at the top, but failed to generate any interest in the UK.
During 1972, Osmondmania crossed over to the UK, and by the end of 1973, there had been three Osmonds singles reaching the Top 5 and several even more successful solo efforts by various members of the family. So in April 1974, MCA felt it was time to give "I Can't Stop" (backed by "Flower Music" and this time billed as "The Osmonds") another try in the UK. Third time lucky, new catalog number MCA 129 peaked at No. 12 in May 1974.

So here we have Pan's People dancing to a record which was already seven years old and showed some resemblance to an early Jackson 5 recording. The main requisites are the big traffic lights which unfortunately seem to spoil the view more than once. The routine itself is rather straightforward. Dee Dee is missing here; fans suspect she might have reported sick after the first rehearsal.
I presume this routine may evoke some controversial reactions, and I don't want to spoil the fun of reading the comments, so I won't say much about it. I don't think it's a dud though, there are certainly a few minuses, but it's still fun to watch.

My rating is 7.5 out of 10, and as DotD, well I guess it's time to cast a vote for Louise and her solo at the beginning.

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

Suefan
You've got to hand it to Flick.... the previous year she creates a routine for "I Think Of You" that made inventive use of the stage itself, and now she has done the same with the lights.  Some may find them intrusive but I think they work fine as an unusual one-off prop and so I go with 7.5.  As for the DotD I could abstain, or then again choose Louise, as I think that this is her last dance that hasn't been wiped, but instead I'm choosing Babs who seems to be loving every second.

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

How very droll, to have the traffic signals change to red every time #stop# was sang, but alas, whilest making sure thatplays out accurately, methinks nobody realised that the amber lights were faulty, sometimes, going directly from red to green, & visa-versa, & I've never seen a three-aspect signal head with three amber lights before.

Sorry to be anal, onto the dance routine, I just love these outfits, the flares look very stylish, another routine which is very jolly in nature, smiles all around, maybe the ladies are amused by this routine's absurdity.

8/10

DotD:-

Cherry

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

I think I have heard some negative opinions about this performance previously but I think it's good value with a happy bouncy feel to it.  The song is jolly too (although the Jackson 5 easily won the Battle of the Brothers in my book) and interesting to find out it was released several times and first produced when the Osmonds were virtually little boys so thanks for that insight Vin.  The ladies' outfits are just right and I'm sure I'm not alone in relishing the looseness of the flares decreasing with altitude.  Although the Traffic Lights are very prominent I find that the ladies outshine them fairly easily and the "hiding" behind them in the second half of the Dance works for me too.  My gaze is constantly drawn to Cherry as she dips deeper, smiles broadly and kicks with gusto and I really have to award her DotD yet again although Louise and Babs do great work too and I find Ruth the quietest in this one.  Perhaps Dee Dee got pulled over for dancing through a red light.  I'm awarding 8.5/10 and quite enjoyed watching this again after some time and will put it back on my playlist.

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

A very cheerful tune from the brothers Osmond. The routine is watchable, though i don't think id be hitting the play button again anytime soon. My eye is drawn to `Babs`, so she gets the green light from me for DOTD. For FCs imaginative choreography with the traffic lights on red for the `stop` lyrics, and those tight fitting in all the right areas white trousers, my rating is 7.25 out of 10.

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

Likes- it's the girls and it isn't wiped

Dislikes
Song- up there with shadup you face, the blankety blank theme tune and polly put the kettle on.
Top notes from little Jimmy evident
Over literal
song is called i can't stop yet the moves are about stopping.
traffic lights as props why oh why
silly
childish not sexy

3/10 and dotd  dee dee for taking a well timed sickie- this is only the 3rd time I've watched this all the way through and the 4th won't be soon.
edit revised mark is 4.5 on reflection thanks friends

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

VintageVideos
sorry BB can't let you get away with Dee Dee, I can only accept a dancer as DotD that took part in the routine, so would ask you to nominate one of the four participants

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

BeautifulBabs
dearly departed Louise then !

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

PattiforPM
Honestly I'm surprised BB.  Your reviews are always a good read but I find this Dance enjoyable and don't you think the girls look great?  I know the song isn't a corker but it isn't THAT bad.  I guess I see the right amount of fun and humour from the Troupe given the lightweight fare on offer but of course you're entiltled etc...

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

VintageVideos
This routine was the fulfillment of my promise to BB not to feature another of his tenners. I knew he didn't like it.

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

PattiforPM wrote
Honestly I'm surprised BB.  Your reviews are always a good read but I find this Dance enjoyable and don't you think the girls look great?  I know the song isn't a corker but it isn't THAT bad.  I guess I see the right amount of fun and humour from the Troupe given the lightweight fare on offer but of course you're entiltled etc...
Hi Yes they do look good P4PM and it is mean of me not to have given Babs and the girls and flick at least one mark each as they put 100% into their shift as always.
I've just never liked this one as I've written in other posts or the osmonds at all I'll admit. Maybe someone out there has the bikini version of this.
LNV

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

LNV
How can the BBC allow Mr Savile that white haired Mad Monk of White City to be shown fingering away there, as he introduces Pans People…

Ah, Louise the smouldering eyed, raven-haired original member of Pans People is given a brief solo spot to usher in the Routine. Which is all Flick literal as Louise noticeably grabs herself around the shoulders at the moment the line is sung, “ I just won’t quit till I’m in your arms.” From that the other dancers slickly enter the stage to roll out the Routine for us and immediately hit their marks in unison behind the traffic lights to Stop!  I counted 10 times Stop! Is shouted out with echoed high-pitched chorus. Thanks to Vin for informing us that The Osmonds recorded this early in their career and thus gives explanation as to why their vocals are so very young sounding. If I had not been told this I had wondered whether they had inhaled Helium gas prior to recording the track, so squeaky toned are their voices.

8/10 It is what it is. A song and matching dance for the kiddies.  I won’t mark it lower just because of that. The song is a well-crafted piece of pop fluff and the dance follows in that vein too. Flick still in her ‘classical’ phase of show business entertainment choreography. Following the tried and trusted rules of keeping the Routine simple, and admittedly at times too obvious; but nevertheless amusing to watch if not particularly outstanding or breaking new ground. That would have to wait until later on with Ruby Flipper and Legs and Co and not always as we saw with TVC15, with success.

DotD: Hey! Stop! Ruth’s in this isn’t she? Kept in the background shadows for the most part, I guess she was told to take a backseat on this chirpy little ride with Pans. Anyway, Louise I’ll pick. At times you are just glad a particular dancer was there in a performance for some undefined reason and so it is with lovely Louise.

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

JEZ
This is definitley one of pp routines that i remember watching for the first time way back in 1974 ,i can remember that i enjoyed the song and dance that much that i went and bought the single not long after it had been featured on totp ,i was quite suprised that the single didnt reach higher than number 12 in the uk charts ,as at the time the osmonds were very very popular over here ,i remember that when uk gold repeated some episodes from the 70s back in 1993 ,that this edition of totp was the very first one that uk gold broadcast ,and i remember thinking when pp came on ,good grief it doesent seem nearly 20 years since i sat and watched the girls interpretating i cant stop ,my opinion of the song and dance has not changed over the years ,i dont know if it is just a case of pure nostalgia from remembering the first time round ,but i can give the routine no less than a 9 ,as for dancer of the day ,im really torn between the lovely louises solo start ,to babs solo of ,play with me and you play with fire etc bit ,i love her hand movements and  facial expressions,so i think probably babs does just get that extra point

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

JEZ
Talking of the osmonds ,and i cant stop ,well the thing that always puzzled me was ,we had quite a  few osmonds ,jimmy ,marie ,donny records in our house ,but i cant stop was on a totally different record label than all the others ,all the other singles were on a blue colored mgm label ,and i cant stop had a sort of black colored centre with a few coulored stripes or swirls on the mca label,i wonder if mca and mgm were connected ,or what reason that single alone was on a different label ,sorry im going right off topic here

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

BeautifulBabs
VV I think I was being a bit of a grumpy meanie yesterday - can I up to a 4.5 ?

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

Possibly because, the Osmonds, were signed to different recording labels in different countries, & your copy of I Can't Stop was an import.
That's only my theory btw, don't take that as the gospel truth.

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

VintageVideos
The Osmonds were signed to a different record label back in 1967 when the song was released for the first time, simple as that. They switched to MGM only in 1970. Actually I thought I had already made that clear in my introduction to the song.
Just goes to show that I could as well shorten my intro to name and date...

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

BeautifulBabs wrote
VV I think I was being a bit of a grumpy meanie yesterday - can I up to a 4.5 ?
Anytime

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

JEZ
so it does vin ,must admitt i was in a bit of a rush when i tried to make a comment on your pans section ,and didnt read all the info first

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

PattiforPM
Well I really like learning the background to these songs and groups so I hope you'll continue to give this to us Vin.  OTOH I still want more voters so it's all optional of course