I CAN'T STOP -- 02/05/1974

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

Suefan
Yes I also enjoy reading the introductory notes from all three of our routine presenters so please keep up the good work.

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

Sorry guys that i don't give any song info on my Legs section. Im just not as well versed or educated on the artists like what my two colleagues are. Maybe if i had my time again i would have researched a bit deeper but as im coming up to my 100th review soon, it seems a little late.

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

PattiforPM
I think the Legs Thread is busy enough already and gets people's attention as it is.  I copied Vin a bit in giving a bit of background and context to the RF Dances but perhaps this is not as necessary in the Legs era

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

Andeebee
gonna be a meanie and give this a 4, those lights get in the way, and DOTD the rear view of lovely Louise...

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

Gorgeous Daze
This is an Osmonds' hit I didn't recall. When I heard it I thought The Beach Boys, and actually it isn't a bad commercial pastiche. The record's history reminds me of The Laughing Gnome, though it wouldn't have been an embarrassment to The Osmonds like TLG was to David Bowie.

I put Dee Dee's absence down to the log-jam that the triple amber must have caused. The darkness is necessary to get the best out of the traffic lights, but it works against the lightness of the song and the jollity of the routine. Traffic Lights atop their usual poles would have given more scope for appealing and unobscured moves;  having them hanging there like a scrap-merchant's disco was a strange decision. Those hulks of metal hardly inspire fun. On the other hand, the occasional use of odd and incongruous props is one of the minor reasons TOTPs is so fondly remembered.

The girls look groovy in a post psychedelic 1974 kind of way. The routine is highly literal, as they 'run around' and 'stop' at the musical cues with the lights. Babs' sign language for the kiddies is sweet and she draws my attention the most, earning her my DOTD.

6.5/10.  A bit of an oddity.

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

Who's That Hurll
The set and the outfits look a little dull when you first see this, but I think the white clothing suits the nature of the lighting as the traffic lights go on and off. The Pans ladies skilfully weave amongst the low flying road attachments and are particularly nimble for the 'ba ba ba'  refrain at 2.40.This is a routine that improves with a second viewing and my eyes was caught by a particularly perky performance from Miss Gillespie and her cheeky look back to the camera at 2.10 seals her fate as my DOTD. 7.75/10

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

Childish, maybe, but who were the core fanbase for The Osmonds then? The routine is harmless fun, really, and I imagine plenty of girls across the land tried to copy it in the schoolyard or on the streets after school the following day.

And I like how the white costumes make the dancers stand out among the sparse dark set and the "traffic lights".

My dancer of the day is lovely Louise - hard to believe this is her last routine which isn't MBW.

My score: 7

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

Doc
About 2min 40 secs all 4 girls seem to make mistakes at the same time, Louise almost walks into the traffic light, Babs spin stops her out of position and she has to put in an additional skip, Cherry spins to the right of the traffic light and has move quicker to catch up, Ruth probably doesn't actually make a mistake but appears to realise that the other 3 are lagging behind and stops for a second to let them catch up.
As for dotd I ended up watching the new girl (it was her small mistake I spotted first), so I'm voting for Cherry.

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

VintageVideos
Thanks Doc for taking the time to revisit these threads and picking a DotD.

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

Old Bill
Lots of fun! I almost can't stop watching it! All a bit silly and very literal but who cares - it's fun!!

I too like PBP wondered about the 3-ambered traffic lights at the back... i wonder if they'd run out of gels in the props dept?

And with the lights going red to remind Donny to stop everytime he says he can't, it made me wonder if there's any other dances where the props dance along too?

I like the outifts. I don't really like the bits where they're behind the lights though. But that's pretty much the only bad bit really.
No classic but manages an 8/10, and the DotD is Louise, right from the off she's da gal, as they say.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

Lookmacinanger
Not many occasions I’m pleased to see a traffic light but I couldn’t we have gone for one of the Pans People location performances I mean there were enough actual traffic lights around Wood Lane. Still the routine worked indoors as well so not to distressed by that and 7/10 for the performance in the end. Dotd Louise

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

Mikey
This one has the potential to be good but is marred by those clunky lights that look like they were borrowed from a road gang. Quite why they did'nt hang them higher i dont know. Instead the dancers have to dance around them, leading to some timing issues. The concept is good with the lights controlling the stop/start of the dance, all the dancers look great in those humongous white flares and i like the 'run around' bits. Its never going to be a classic for me, but its a cheerful routine and the song is pretty catchy, i just felt it could have been better by allowing the dancers to move more freely.

5.5/10 DOTD Babs

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

bucksby
awful song and was simply an old record company cash in (MCA) Couldn't the BBC get some proper traffic lights in? The dance is fine, Babs looks great and she is my DOTD. Routine a 6.

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

Old Grey Whistler
I don't think that I have ever heard this song before but when it comes to the Osmonds, I only really like Crazy Horses.
As others have mentioned the lights rather tend to dominate this routine. I think the concept works well but they are probably just a little too large and cause an obstruction for the dancers. This restricts them from doing anything very complex. Despite that, I quite like it so I will give it 8 out of 10 and give Babs  DOTD for her solo.

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

PansLegs
The fact that this routine is the last known existing with Louise saddens me as 'I Can't Stop' myself from feeling pretty nonplussed about the performance. I have never heard the track outside of this Pan's People appearance, so I can only assume that it wasn't one of The Osmonds bigger chart successes and certainly in my mind falls way short of even their more irritating tracks such as Long Haired Lover from Liverpool.. or was that just Jimmy? Either way it's preferable.

Blandness ensues as the general black background is punctuated only by cheap looking mock-ups of traffic lights and the costumes of striped white flares the size of the Eiffel Tower plus white shirts is certainly not to my taste whether it was fashionable at the time or not.

I find the choreography here uninspiring although granted there is a decent collective leg-kick but the whole thing feels phoned-in and literally going through the motions. A momentary lack of concentration on Louise's part almost leaves her with a face full of traffic light at one point. One hopes that The Sound of Philadelphia or There's a Ghost in My House may turn up one day so that this existing swansong can be replaced. As it is... DotD Cherry and 3/10

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

Doc
I have somethng of a soft spot for this dance as it is the earliest one that I can clearly remember watching. It had very little to do with the dance, I was just a 9 year old fascinated by the traffic lights! (and a little bit for Cherry too) 8/10.

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

PansLegs wrote
One hopes that The Sound of Philadelphia or There's a Ghost in My House may turn up one day so that this existing swansong can be replaced.
I'd love to see Ghost In My House, I have no recollection of the dance other than wondering which one was Louise whilst they were dancing.

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

PaulF
I like this despite Ruth being hidden by the lights 8/10.

Dotd I will be "Ruthless" and say Louise.
Paul

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 1974

Dancer
This was a most memorable dance.  All dressed in white and outfits so beautifully made.  One could tell from listening to this that this was a very early Osmonds record but irrespective I wanted it as soon as Pans danced to it.  I am not sure whether this was repeated further down the weeks - I may be wrong there.  The traffic lights were a very good idea.  The routine itself was enjoyable and easy to copy and a good exercise number.  Felt sorry for Louise towards the end nearly banging into the traffic lights especially as she had a lovely smile all through it.  Again I give ten out of ten for this dance as it was memorable and the best dancer goes to Babs for the interpretation of the second verse as John Peel said they were going through their semaphore stage here and it definitely shows in Babs but her hair was lovely.  Well done Flick.

Re: I CAN'T STOP -- 02/05/1974

I don't like this one much,it's one of those literal and uninspired routines.4/10
DotD:Babs