I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- [March]

I CANT STAND THE RAIN Dance number 90 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Eruption  and reaching number 5 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  09/03/78  Duration of dance --  2.33 mins
Dancers --  Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Pauline 86           Sue 83
Lulu 83               Gill 82
Rosie 83             Patti 82
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x141ggk_legs-co-i-can-t-stand-the-rain-totp-tx-09-03-1978_creation

  Well for me im a little disappointed. I was hoping this would look better on a TV screen, rather than the poorish image we've been used to of it on our computer screens. For me the imitation rain, which of course is vital to make the routine work, does nothing to enhance our viewing pleasure. Still the song is a good one and Flicks interpretation of inclement weather is spot on.
   The costumes are great. I love the idea of the see through macs, and the red under garments are cool too. Those see through brollie's are so 70s, im sure you dont see them these days. All the girls are having a ball squelching around in the water, dont think them wellies are keeping the water out. Dancer of the day is a toughie, im sure you all agree. No dancer performs a stand out role. Pauline is having lots of fun and i would have given it to her, only her rain hat is to low over her face, it distracts me. So im going to give it to Patti as she catches my eye the most, oh and she looks good from the rear in her see through mac.
   I think a score of 7 out of 10 is about right.

Re: I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- 1978

Suefan
Upbeat and perky while the costumes add a certain sauciness to proceedings.  It splashes and squelches along nicely scoring an 8 from me.
Suefan
Stu

Re: I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- 1978

Stu
This post was updated on .
After seeing a glimpse of it on the TOTP documentary I was eagerly awaiting this one but had no idea when it would appear on our screens, so I was a bit of a giddy kipper when it started on what was already shaping up to be a good show with Blondie, The Jam, and those guys in flat caps banging on about Lowry. Well it didn't disappoint, I thought it was brilliant! Great song, the routine was good, the outfits hot, and they used their props (brollies) well, which can't be easy. I always like the heavily themed routines and one of the things that always gives me enjoyment is seeing the girls having fun themselves which they clearly all are and Pauline in particular who looks like she's having an absolute ball, and for that reason she gets my DOTD.

10/10

DOTD - Pauline

Stuey

Re: I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- 1978

I like this one too.  The song is good and as others have said it's a very apt performance and the cloudy backdrop and huge puddle add to the cheerful storm.  The ladies look quite thrilled with it all IMO too and Patti appears to be right in her element, looking divine in her mac and wellies and smiling at me throughout.  The only thing missing is a water-fight but we can't have everything in one performance.  For me this is 9/10 material and did I mention that I liked Patti for DotD in this?

Re: I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- 1978

I agree with what all you say Ryan. I was also a little disappointed with the picture for the routine being less crisp than I expected. But when I've finally seen all the Legs' routines - hopefully in 2016 - this could well qualify as one of the very sexiest costumes. The girls having a ball splish sploshing about in see through plastic and red underwear, it could hardly get better. The brollies are skillfully twirled and it all flows. I would also have been minded to give Pauline my DOTD were she not semi-incognito. So I will opt instead for Gill, for her lovely smile.

9/10 for the routine.

Re: I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- 1978

But presumably these ladies could, as they did seem to be enjoying themselves, splashing in the torrential rain, whilest twirling their umbrellas.
A pity that Lulu seemed to be hidden at the back throughout this routine, I'd have liked to see some dancing in a circle, so that they all got equal amounts of camera exposure. Gill seemed to be particularly enjoying this one, with her beaming smiles at various intervals.

8/10

DotD:-

Gill

Re: I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- 1978

A shame this is usually picked as an example of "literal" routines - tell me how else would any choreographer interpret this song?  It's great fun and as already pointed out, the girls have a ball and don't seem to let the damp conditions distract from their performances.

My DOTD is Patti as her umbrella spinning is glorious.

My score is 8.

Re: I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- 1978

2.33 minutes of heaven.I love this routine,and the song.The opening thunder,the rain,umbrellas and macs,are all great.I first saw this show in 1978 in black and white,and remember it as the time when Kate Bush knocked Abba off number one.It was great to see it in crisp,glorious techno-colour.
10/10 from me.
Patti is my DotD.

Re: I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- 1978

Andeebee
Muddy pic on TV, but it is supposed to be over cast, not a bad song, those brollys you can still get in Primark....very sexy outfits, Sue was lost in there somewhere (sexy smile and close up - sigh)

7/10

DOTD - yup shock - I'm siding with the Canadian troops here - Patti (lovely smile)

Re: I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- 1978

PattiforPM
Hat trick again

Re: I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- 1978

Andeebee
I sided with Patti, as if I say Sue, I'll get hounded off the board by torch welding villagers with pitchforks

Re: I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- 1978

I agree with Col's opening point because the over-literal accusation is a bit of a cynic's cheap-shot : would they prefer the troupe to slide down a polystyrene slope on skis whilst BBC stage-hands shake iberal amounts of fake snow from above for this number?
Anyway, if they wanted 'literal' , the ladies would have performed with sullen expressions as a result of the soggy elements.
The contrast of the red in the clothing works well against the gloomy background, highlighting the dancers, although I do think some of the ground level lighting on their faces is perhaps a touch too weak.
However, the whole thing looks rather 'videoish' to me, almost as if it could have been a specially shot, early 80's band promo.
The super-imposed rain works well and the splashing about in the shallow pool doesn't really hinder their movements.
All are having a whale of a time, due in no small part to the mini-red boots being a welcome change from the usual heels, I imagine.
Although her Sou'wester's so low that it casts a shadow over her eyes, Pauline's joyous performance only just edges out brolly-twirling Patti in my opinion.
Besides, those red boots go really well with the colour of her legs.
DOTD: Pauline

Re: I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- 1978

VintageVideos
A disco classic that I could never warm up to (maybe it's the rain!), it always reminds me of Boney M and that's not a good thing in my book. But I like this routine, it's much better than the song. I like the way the girls are whirling their brollies, while waving them up and down. It's certainly fun to watch and as such this routine would have been more suitable for a song like "Singing in the Rain".
It's not easy to pick a DotD, but after a bit of consideration, I decided to go for Patti (again!).
My rating is 8/10.

Re: I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- 1978

Lookmacinanger
Classic, Ally’s Tartan Army was the nations anthem in 1978, sorry my mistake with all those Legs from this show.

I wasn’t disappointed with the new showing of I Can’t Stand The Rain. It does help if you like the track and I have always had a fondness for Eruption reworking of Ann Peebles soul number (keeping all thoughts of being a second rate Boney M to the back of my mind). The routine is kept brilliantly simple and devising something that allows six beautiful dancers to splash about while suitably attired for heavy rain works very well. 9.5/10 Dotd Rosie, LNV would be so proud of me.

Re: I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- 1978

I agree with the points regarding knocking many dance routines for being too literal. I remember a celebrity panel game show in the nineties chaired by Danny Baker. One of the resident captains was Rick Wakeman. I can't recall what the programme was called, but there was a regular round where an excerpt of a Pan's People routine was shown with the sound muted. Then the teams had to try to identify the song danced to. Danny Baker seemed always at pains to remind the contestants what a 'very literal' interpretor of songs Flick Colby was, as if 'Get Down', exemplified most of her choreography.  It used to annoy me because I would think most of the Pan's dances were lyrically straightforward and a literal approach was often more or less unavoidable. And it wasn't as if Flick didn't have her fair share of wacky and esoteric interpretations either.

Boney M were dreadful with things like Rivers Of Babylon and Brown Girl In The Ring, though I do quite like early singles such as Daddy Cool, Sunny and Ma Baker. I imagine Eruption were riding Boney M's coat- tails, Vin.

Re: I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- 1978

VintageVideos
Gorgeous Daze wrote
Boney M were dreadful with things like Rivers Of Babylon and Brown Girl In The Ring, though I do quite like early singles such as Daddy Cool, Sunny and Ma Baker. I imagine Eruption were riding Boney M's coat- tails, Vin.
Both groups had the same producer, Frank Farian (yes a German!), and basically I detest everything he produced. One of his biggest (musical) crimes was the dreadful cover of "Stairway to Heaven" by Far Corporation (now guess what 'Far' stands for!). He also made an infamous solo record called "Rocky" (a German cover of the Austin Roberts song) and Milli Vanilli was his brainchild. Need I say more...

Re: I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- 1978

Paperboyplod
I never knew that Far Corporation got their name that way, Rolf Harris's version's quite a hoot, but understandably, is seen as sacrilege by rock music purists worldwide.

Re: I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- 1978

I didn't know Farian produced Eruption Vin, but it's no surprise really. I guess with this Far Corporation he reckoned it was about time he got at least a syllable on the sleeve, seeing his vocals were all over Boney M.

As for the abysmal Milli Vanilli - couldn't agree more. Say no more.

Re: I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- 1978

Lookmacinanger
I wasn’t aware Frank Farina had put Far Corporation together, so thanks for the insight Vin. I do remember their version of Stairway to Heaven and that they had former Toto frontman Bobby Kimball as lead singer but how it had a smooth polished (corporate sound) unlike the raw power of Led Zeppelin original. (Sorry we’ve hi-jacked the I Can’t Stand the Rain thread)

Re: I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- 1978

Old Bill
This one slipped by me! Apologies all.

I wonder if they get taught props handling at dance school...? Their brolly skills are 2nd to none!

Great dance this one, lots of fun and real catchy song. Although watching Eruption perform is just as good! Well, nearly! ;-)

But as Ryan says, by the end there must be more water inside their little booties than on the studio floor! Must have been somewhat uncomfortable for them - ever the pros our girls!!

Too bad Lulu is a bit low key...

Overall 8/10. And DOTD hmmm Rosie or Patti?! I think it has to be Rosie - her smile shines through the inclement weather on this occasion.
Jeremiah 31:13
12