I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- [March]

Re: I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- 1978

Adorable Gillusion
Being a Manchester lad I'm used to the rain and I absolutely love it. Love this routine too, especially the umbrella twirling...works superbly....great work from Flick and the dacers. The girls all look great in their see-through raincoats, and perform perfectly. Pauline catches my eye the most in this one, mainly down to the fact she's an excellent twirler, and she looks really cute with her hat dropping a bit low over her eyes  8/10

DOTD....Pauline

Re: I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- 1978

I can't see past Rosie for dotd.

Re: I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- 1978

74benja81
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
LNV

Re: I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- 1978

LNV
‘I Can’t Stand the Rain’... oh yes I can when the rain gods send down their water angels as seen here in this jolly-brolly dance. I find the Legs ladies to be sexy creatures indeed, not sure why that should be; maybe I have a fixation for water and see through plastic clothing?

Splish, splash splosh...as in ‘Bermuda Triangle’ Rosie looks to be enjoying herself splashing about in the water, above and beyond the call of her choreographic duty. Though her dance colleagues are up to the task as well this time too. Gill’s fine plump behind caught my eye, no particular relevance to the merits of the dance as such, I just thought it was worth a mention.

This is a well put together ensemble dance routine that has some nice movements within it, liked the moment where they rotate around the pivot of Patti and Pauline all twirling their umbrellas. Good choreography expertly accomplished as a team; that’s what I like to see in a dance performance.  Actually the whole piece works, as smooth and integrated a performance that I’ve seen Legs & Co give. Must mention that the superimposed rain-effect is spot on, to my aged eyes it does look as if they are dancing in the rain.

10/10 It maybe raining but with these Girls in such fine form both attractively and dance-wise the sun is definitely shining for the viewer.

DotD: Rosie. Her smile, not seen often enough is the brightest thing here. Truly Rosie is transformed when she is so inclined to beam out her smile to us, a ray of hope against a foreboding sky. There is not much between them all in terms of allure, Lulu uncharacteristically is not at the forefront, but  Rosie somehow just seems more luminous than the rest.

Re: I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- 1978

We have the ladies dancing to " I Cant Stand The Rain ". The ladies are dressed in a red see through rain coat. I describe this as having a red top part and bottom part being see through with a red edge around the bottom of the rain coat. You can see through the rain coat red briefs. And small red wellies and on there heads a red rain hat. And holding red edged see through umbrellas. The ladies are dancing and splashing in a small tank full of water. while rain is superimposed falling down. The routine as no solo as such. So it is very difficult choose one. This is a really troupe dance, we see all the ladies spinning there umbrellas to great effect in this routine.

But now to come with a Dotd and that will be Patti for a certain look she give at the begin of the routine. That I kept following Her.

The score will be 7 out of 10.

Re: I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- 1978

bucksby
10 out of 10 for imagination (slight hint of sarcasm here) but yeah good routine and the girls look like they are enjoying themselves in that water (they must be mad) Gill in particular seems to love the rain and she gets my DOTD. the routine scores an 8

Re: I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- 1978

Old Grey Whistler
This is probably one of the more iconic routines and is one of my favourites. The rain effect works well and the girls look as though they are really enjoying themselves. They manage to stay in near perfect synchronisation, no easy feet while splashing around in the water. Their use of the brollies is excellent and the song is quite a catchy disco number as well.
I have to give this 10 out of 10.  I am giving DOTD to Pauline who seems to enjoy this the most,  although Patti was a close second.

Re: I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- 1978

Doc
A really enjoyable routine that pushed for a maximum but didn't quite make it. Still a very worthy 9/10.

Re: I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- 1978

Who's That Hurll
It's been raining so hard it's coming through the roof; but never mind the girls have remembered their umbrellas, although they do appear to have forgotten to put their skirts on.
They seem to be having a whale of a time splashing about in the pool that has developed beneath them and this would be reprised in 1981 for 'Bermuda Triangle'.
For Dancer of the Day, Pauline deserves kudos for negotiating her way around in a low slung hat, however it's Patti who takes control here as chief umbrella twirler.
8.25/10

Re: I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- 1978

Mikey
Well there's rain and then there's BBC effects department rain, and this is clearly the latter. Still none of this seems to be dampening spirits in this waterlogged TOTP set as a jolly good time is had by all. Wearing not very much and twirling those clear plastic brolleys (whatever happened to them?) its a nice fun routine, even if the dancing is a little hampered by all the splashing about in the rather large puddle.

Each of the ladies walking towards the camera at around the 1.20 mark, spinning brolley in hand is a clear highlight, and there are some nice patterns formed using said prop throughout.

Very literal but effective and a decent song too, 8/10
DOTD Rosie

Re: I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- [March]

What a fantastic and fun routine this is, i can't help smiling while watching this performance, the girls must have had an absolute hoot doing this one with all that sploshing around and jumping in the massive puddle. Of course this is a literal performance, but it had to be, Flick couldn't let an opportunity like that pass by without having our lovely ladies dressed in macs, (see through ones at that!) wellies and using those brollies as an essential part of the routine. For me this must go down as one of their classics. Nice to see all the girls get a chance to walk up to and smile into the camera, although we don't get a decent shot of Lulu

Rating 10/10

DOTD is very difficult to choose, I don't think any girl particularly outshone another, but the smile from Rosie wins it for me

Re: I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- [March]

The Rubberband Man
A clever choreographer like Flick Colby would keep a few dance moves tucked away for a rainy day. And now seems like a good time to put them to use.
TOTPs have splashed out and filled the studio with water, and what with Flick having a supreme pool of talent at her disposal, it creates a superbly fun dance sequence, ending the drought from the past couple of weeks.
I particularly like the matching umbrellas and rain macs, but where would you put your bus fare?
Like many of the posters above me, I’m also flooded with praise for how good this is.
Anyone notice if Lulu was singing in the rain?

It’s a brolly good show – 9/10
DOTD: Patti rains supreme

Re: I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- [March]

PattiforPM
The Rubberband Man wrote
DOTD: Patti rains supreme
+1000000

Re: I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- [March]

Doc
I refer the honourable gentleman to the comment I made almost 5 years ago.

Re: I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- [March]

Everything'sRosie
Not one of my favourites to be honest. It's clever, with some closely coordinated moves, and the umbrella spinning is nice, but somehow it just doesn't really work for me. Gene Kelly it ain't, sorry girls. I don't want to see rain on the telly, I'll draw back the curtains for that. The song's rubbish too.

A rather damp SIX from me.
DotD: The one sunny moment is that Rosie smile.

P.S.
On an unrelated matter I think it important to make it public that Andy Cameron was born in ENGLAND

Re: I CANT STAND THE RAIN -- [March]

Dancer
I did not see this routine when it was originally performed.  I saw it first in the nineties on a BBC quiz programme where the sound was dubbed and they had to guess the routine.  In those minor few seconds I was hooked on Patti's lovely looks.  Maybe it was because I had not seen them for such a length of time.  I loved the song and Precious Wilson had a beautiful voice and so outdid Boney M in the stakes.  Her range was perfect.  The routine to this was ideal for the song and the outfits looked a bit like Pans Peoples Walking in the Rain routine but they were more evocative.  On looking at the whole thing I will award it ten out of ten as it was excellent and must have been awful to dance with water.  Best dancer awarded to Patti.