I FEEL LOVE (1st version) -- [July]

I FEEL LOVE (1st version)  Dance number 50 by Legs & Co
Performed by  DONNA SUMMER and reaching number 1 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  21/07/77 Duration of dance 2.56 mins
Dancers --  Gill,Lulu,Patti,Pauline,Rosie,Sue

Pauline 47                       Lulu 46
Rosie 47                          Gill 46
Sue 47                            Patti 42
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x24xgf5_legs-co-i-feel-love-version-1-totp-tx-21-07-1977-totp-tx-04-08-1977-wiped_creation

I cant say im to much of a fan of this one. The experimental three images on screen at one time, though impressive to some degree doesn't really do the girls or this great song any justice in my book. Call me the typical male, but all i want to see is clear shots of these lovely dancers on screen, not arty farty camera trickery. The song itself is arguably the sexiest song of all time, and i must say our dancers swishing their pretty dresses about the place is also rather sexy. But much prefer the version at Christmas, more dress swishing, but much better camera shots, and that version will gain a very high scoring mark from me. This one only gets a 5.75 out of 10, sorry Flick but stick to one camera shot.

Re: I FEEL LOVE (1st version) -- 1977

Floid Fan
Agree completely with Ryan. The Christmas version is far superior with a lot more energy and fizz.
Carl

Re: I FEEL LOVE (1st version) -- 1977

PattiForPM
I have already defended this performance before and I will reiterate that I think it needed to be futuristic and unconventional to mirror this groundbreaking electronic wizardry.  I know it is preferable to see the dancers clearly and the multiple screens obscure this but the kaleidoscopic colour backgrounds and the sensuality of the dance moves fit the song perfectly and I can forgive the lack of close up views in this instance better than in any other.  The Rosie solo is quite hypnotic and the other ladies put great energy into this routine.  I love the Xmas version too but this one was first and gets 8/10 as I think Flick got the style just right.

Re: I FEEL LOVE (1st version) -- 1977

Although not a big fan of camera trickery it is worth experimenting with on occasion and therefore I would have rated this a little higher.

Re: I FEEL LOVE (1st version) -- 1977

I grant you the Rosie solo segment is top notch. Yes i can see what you mean regarding the futuristic electronic Moroder style to this, thinking of that name, theres another coming soon that wont score to heavily either on my chart.

Re: I FEEL LOVE (1st version) -- 1977

The iconic disco track that Legs & Co. had to interpret on stage, ought to have had a decent routine, this one's sadly let down by the stage effects, the smoke, usage of cross-fading effects & the lighting set behind the dancers casting them as shadows for much of their routine, where the girls themselves do no wrong, &  I do like the effect of the lights constantly changing colour & moving around, overall this routine for me is fairly average, I prefer dance routines to give the dancers maximum exposure, preferably with many close-up shots, this routine doesn't really offer all of that!

Re: I FEEL LOVE (1st version) -- 1977

Adorable Gillusion
Quite like the visual effects to this one, goes nicely with the song. The start with the girls in silouhette looks really cool, and Rosie's solo is very enjoyable, but the overall dance isn't so great. My biggest gripe would be the obscurity of the girls, we just don't get to see them clearly enough throughout the routine which spoils the enjoyment a little.  I would have scored this one higher if we could see the girls more clearly, so only 5.5/10 for me.

Re: I FEEL LOVE (1st version) -- 1977

Old Bill
A great spectacle, futuristic and hypnotic and suits the song. To the average it would be a great performance.

But as has been said we like to see our girls. Nice spot from Rosie though, looking adorable as ever.

At some points it looked like the 3 shots were out of sync, but of course they weren't - it was just the camera angles, but did make it jar a little.

I gotta mark it on my enjoyment of a Legs dance, and I'm afraid i don't feel much love for this one - 5/10.
Jeremiah 31:13
Stu

Re: I FEEL LOVE (1st version) -- 1977

Stu
One of my favourite seventies iconic disco tunes. I actually liked the routine, the lighting and smoke effects are fine, I'm just not sure the camera angles and split screens do it justice. Not too sure about Rosie's solo either but when they're all together it looks pretty good, I particularly like the hurried rushing about parts... not sure why... but I do. :-)

8/10

Stuey

Re: I FEEL LOVE (1st version) -- 1977

Andeebee
9 for me, good attempt at this difficult song...love the outfits

Re: I FEEL LOVE (1st version) -- 1977

VintageVideos
Easily the best version of IFL while it's at the top of the charts. Rosie always takes my breath away in this one - sorry getting carried away here.

8/10 (incl 2 extra points for Rosie)
Vin

Re: I FEEL LOVE (1st version) -- 1977

Doc
I don't normally like skirt swishing dancing but this one has grown on me. Unlike others I think the camera overlay does a great job of creating the disco atmosphere along with the lighting. I was going to give it an 8, but Rosie solo is worth an additional 1, so a 9 it is.

Re: I FEEL LOVE (1st version) -- 1977

Who's That Hurll
The screen is a triumph of pastel colours of light blues,pea greens and purples. A still from this routine is a work of art,worthy of a place in any gallery; but only from parts where those pesky cameras haven't been superimposed over the middle.
I am a big fan of dance music, but the tinny beats from this (and 'From Here To Eternity') are annoying and dated.
I wonder how Legs would have interpreted the excellent 'Together In Electric Dreams' collaboration from 1984?.
5.5/10  DOTD Rosie.
WTH

Re: I FEEL LOVE (1st version) -- 1977

Old Grey Whistler
This is probably my favourite Donna Summer track, but possibly not the easiest to devise a routine for, so I think Flick and the girls do an excellent job with this. I actually quite like the camera trickery and lighting, as I think it matches the feel of the song quite well.  Rosie stands out for her solo but all the girls perform well, so I will score it 8 out of 10.

Re: I FEEL LOVE (1st version) -- 1977

In fact have decided to rate this feisty dance a lot higher so a maximum 10 from me.

Re: I FEEL LOVE (1st version) -- 1977

Colm
A glorious track, and I hope one which Flick and the ladies didn't get bored of trying to do something different with each week.

Rosie's solo part is heavenly.

Score: 9

Re: I FEEL LOVE (1st version) -- 1977

Angie
Great song.......but not over keen on the routine.......sorry! As Ryan mentions, one camera shot/angle may have been better in my opinion.....but what do I know! Prefer the Christmas version myself.

Re: I FEEL LOVE (1st version) -- 1977

Lookmacinanger
I’m trying to find something positive about this interpretation, but for me it just didn’t work. Routine, costumes and overlays spoil this for me and ensure it’s consigned to the bottom of my playlist. 5/10

Re: I FEEL LOVE (1st version) -- 1977

Mikey
There is a nice feel to the visual style of the routine with the swirly colours and the overlays of the dance filmed from different distances, especially the Rosie bits. The problem is this overrides the dancing to a high degree, and i don't think there is much of a routine there to comment on, mostly consisting of on the spot skirt shaking. It works as a piece of eye candy but sadly not much more. Fantastic record though. 6/10

Re: I FEEL LOVE (1st version) -- [July]

Not as good as the Xmas version even though it is essentially the same dance.It must be very hard to get the shoulder shaking and the dress swishing right,but i think Rosie nails it best;certainly at Xmas.9/10