I'M A MAN -- 29/01/1970

Re: I'M A MAN -- 1970

VintageVideos
Thanks PansLegs. Good someone took the trouble to compare their outfits with those from the intro sequence, and dare I say I'm expecting a similar elaboration for "Both Sides Now" any time soon
Part of this show does exist in colour (e.g. Badfinger, Rare Bird), but for some inexplicable reason the Pan's People performance wasn't deemed worthy for restoration yet.

Unfortunately, this episode will never be repeated on BBC television due to this guy hosting:
And when the stewardess is near do not show any fear

Re: I'M A MAN -- 1970

PansLegs
You could be right!

Sadly I expect 2 of 3 the episodes mentioned are a no-go in their complete form now, as are quite a few others. I believe that four performances in this show always were in colour but for some inexplicable reason Pans was not one of them.

Re: I'M A MAN -- 1970

Old Grey Whistler
I'm so glad they didn't take the literal route and dress up as men!
If you offered me 100 guesses, I would never have picked this as being a Chicago song, at least until the irritating stills of the band appeared.
Quite an unusual performance, fast and frenetic at times coupled with some slower segments. Quite a small stage as well but thankfully no mishaps.
I like it! - 8 out of 10,  with Flick getting DOTD for that jump.

Re: I'M A MAN -- 1970

Rickh69
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: I'M A MAN -- 1970

Dancer
I really hate this song and have never liked Chicago or Peter's voice so this is one that I have had for years but the routine does nothing for me which is surreal really because the opposite can happen when I have seen a routine.  I think the poor quality of my video is contributory but I will award this dance seven out of ten and the best dancer awarded to Andrea.

Re: I'M A MAN -- 29/01/1970

MADMAX
Chicago had two hits in '70, "25 or 6 to 4" (#12) and "Make me smile" (#33). This song didn't make the grade down under. I remember this song done by " Spencer Davis group " '67 (#16). Don't like this version of the song at all. Having these beautiful girls dance to a song called "I'm a Man" doesn't seem to fit but there you go. Watched this quite a few times,  to get a feel for the dance, Quite lively, and not a bad routine and the girls looked quite nice.. Could have done without the fade overs of Chicago though. Obviously, it would have looked better in color but these were early days. I'm giving this a conservative "7" As for the DOTD I changed my mine a few times after each viewing but I will go with "Louise "

Re: I'M A MAN -- 29/01/1970

In this routine that our ladies was doing to the song, " I'm A Man ", by Chicago. Is interesting that this type of routine by Flick. Would be used by her through out her choreography. All our ladies doing different movement through out the fast furious routine. The ladies are wearing  blouses with belts fastened around and light coloured trousers. At the back of them are six large round mirrors.

Of the dancer of the routine I would give it to Flick for that fantastic leap in the air.

The score as to be 8 out of 10.

Re: I'M A MAN -- 29/01/1970

  Pan's People dancing to REAL rock music. And what a free-flowing of-the-period routine it is. The whole dance works well to what cannot have been an easy number to interpretate. Particularly in the second half with various members are on the floor. Either very impromptu or very well choreographed. The members make use of all the small space allotted to them with tremendous effect. And despite being in monochrome, is very watchable and enjoyable. I wonder if Flick had been to see Hair or any similar type of rock musical recently. The routine has an experimental, counter-culture feel to me.
   The one drawback is the showing of pictures of the band Chicago during the routine. When, as a Pan's fans clearly, I would much rather see more coverage of the dance performance. It did make me wonder if the girls stop moving when they were not being shown. But, never mind, it is what it is and we do like this a lot. Chicago were a top U.S rock band at the time and continued to be so for several years, before becoming more soppy from the mid-70s, not helped by the bizarre death of guitarist Terry Kath in 1978.
     As an aside, is this edition of Top Of The Pops, from 29th January 1970, the greatest ever, or at least the best to survive, with such artists as Blodwyn Pig, Arrival, Jethro Tull, Mary Hopkin, Shocking Blue, Badfinger, Brotherhood of Man and Edison Lighthouse, not to mention Chicago and Canned Heat, and Pan's People of course, all at the top of their game, in the studio and on Television for us to watch. I dare anyone to come up with a better week. And would that any modern music programme could produce this array of talent in one edition.
    The costumes are quite simple here, darker tops, lighter trousers and a scarf round the waist, nothing particularly individual but effective for the routine. If the whole programme is watched then for the opening titles Pan's People are seen with differing accessories, including Flick in glasses. An interesting touch.
   For the dancers, Flick and Babs seem to stand out most here, perhaps because the camera lingers on them for a moment longer than the others. It is hard to separate them, and I particularly like Flicks 'high splits' at about 00.58 and Babs look at the camera- looking the coolest she had ever done- at about 02.37. But after deliberation I have chosen Flick as DOTD on this occasion.
   The whole routine is scored an 8.5/10, marked down a little because of the pictures of the band shown during the routine. But very enjoyable nonetheless.

Re: I'M A MAN -- 29/01/1970

Gorgeous Daze
You forgot to mention the Rare Bird and yucky Jail Bird, Hanway.

The Edison Lighthouse and Shocking Blue records are certainly classics. I don't know the Blodwyn Pig song and I've never heard of Arrival. It all comes down to taste but the late 70s and early 80s is what I'd call my era and there can be few if any shows I enjoy more than 3/9/81. Peak synth-pop, gorgeous girls, party atmosphere, haunting social commentary...and Copey and friends: Modern Romance, John Foxx, UB40, Bucks Fizz, The Teardrop Explodes, Gary Numan, Dollar, Legs & Co (Slowhand), OMD, Soft Cell.

Anyhow good to see you getting stuck in Hanway. You're revitalizing the PPCS.

Re: I'M A MAN -- 29/01/1970

Hanway2
  Thanks GD. As I have said before late 60s and early 70s are my favourite music periods so something like this edition from 1970 is right up my street. And check out Arrival if you can. Their cover of Terry Reid's Friends contains some fantastic vocals.
  And don't forget Legsfan has been commenting on Pan's People routines as well these last few days- and is doing more each day than me!!

Re: I'M A MAN -- 29/01/1970

VintageVideos
It's good to see some life on the PPCT again. This could even induce me to feature the 'new' routines on the blog in the not too distant future!

As for this TOTP episode, there are certainly shows that I like better but the line-up is still very good. Pity it's just in B/W. From 1970, I do prefer 15/10/1970 which is a show right from the time when I started to be seriously interested in pop music.
And when the stewardess is near do not show any fear

Re: I'M A MAN -- 29/01/1970

Legsfan
If only the Resurrection Shuffle surfaced, that would have been a good way to resurrect the PPCT

Re: I'M A MAN -- 29/01/1970

PansLegs
I think all the surviving 1970 shows are good. Around this period it seemed to be more of a happening than just the chart show of later on, somehow greater than the sum of its parts.

Re: I'M A MAN -- 1970

VintageVideos wrote
Thanks PansLegs. Good someone took the trouble to compare their outfits with those from the intro sequence, and dare I say I'm expecting a similar elaboration for "Both Sides Now" any time soon
Part of this show does exist in colour (e.g. Badfinger, Rare Bird), but for some inexplicable reason the Pan's People performance wasn't deemed worthy for restoration yet.

Unfortunately, this episode will never be repeated on BBC television due to this guy hosting:
   That picture could be the stuff of nightmares- knowing what we do now!

Re: I'M A MAN -- 29/01/1970

In case you haven't seen it, here is the set in colour (although not Pans sadly), you can just about make out the cartoon style artwork in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1W1JkPKfWQ

Re: I'M A MAN -- 1970

PansLegs
Hanway2 wrote
 That picture could be the stuff of nightmares- knowing what we do now!
I think that animation was nightmarish even before we knew! Is it better or worse in colour?!

Re: I'M A MAN -- 1970

Hanway2
   AAAAHHH! I think that is worse.

  And this is MY fault that on the 'I'm A Man' thread, instead of discussing the delights of dance and dancers we have drifted over to JS!!

Re: I'M A MAN -- 1970

Legsfan
I know it costs money to restore these, but if they had done the whole thing ten years ago, it would have been the earliest TOTP in colour and would have probably have been repeated on EinsFestival. What a waste. I just hope the Tony Blackburn edition has enough colour code to be done one day, maybe when it is cheap.

Re: I'M A MAN -- 29/01/1970

PansLegs wrote
I think all the surviving 1970 shows are good. Around this period it seemed to be more of a happening than just the chart show of later on, somehow greater than the sum of its parts.
  Yes, I would agree with you about Top Of The Pops being a 'happening' or really special 'event' at the time. Probably because it had recently started broadcasting in colour, and gone up to 45 minutes. And nothing really comparable at that time of day. There were late night music shows on BBC2 for instance, but the audience for those would have been much smaller. And the Light Entertainment shows, which might feature some chart hits, were for a different group of people.
  How long that approach lasted it is hard to say, but I suggest that 'feeling' lasted about 2 or 3 years. In other words, when I started to watch the programme regularly. And the impression I gained then has never left me.

Re: I'M A MAN -- 29/01/1970

Mikey
Oooh colours (a little too much red methinks) 5/10