I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU (XMAS VERSION) -- 25/12/1975

I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU (XMAS VERSION) -- 25/12/1975

I Only Have Eyes For You (Xmas Version)
Performed by Art Garfunkel and reaching number 1 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 25/12/1975 Duration of dance - 3.06 mins
Dancers: Cherry, Lee, Mary, Ruth, Sue
A link to the dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JkrvblvXZw

Arthur Ira Garfunkel is probably best known as one half of the duo that started as "Tom & Jerry" and became "Simon & Garfunkel". Unlike his former partner Paul Simon, Art wasn't a songwriter, and when "Simon & Garfunkel" split in 1970, his solo career depended predominantly on his singing ability. His voice is soft and seems especially suited for ballads, so it's not surprising that his biggest UK hits were just that.
"I Only Have Eyes For You" is a track from his second album "Breakaway" (the title track being the Gallagher & Lyle song). The song had been written back in 1934 and its release consolidated a trend to revitalize songs from the 1920's, 30's & 40's, which had been started with 1975's surprise hit "Whispering Grass". Many other releases pursuing this trend would follow in late 1975 and early 1976 (Baby Face, Answer Me, How High The Moon etc.). While the single stopped at a lowly #18 in the US, it became Art's first charting single in the UK and went all the way to #1.

Pan's People originally danced to this song on 25/09/1975, but unfortunately this is a missing routine, which is particularly sad as it was the debut for Lee & Mary. What we have is this interpretation for the Christmas Day edition, and it's fair to say it has been the subject of lively discussions during the past years.
Pan's People are dressed in long white gowns wearing a wreath with six candles on their heads. While at first glance they may look like fairies, Flick actually chose their outfits in the style of Saint Lucy, a young Christian martyr who died during the Diocletian persecution. I quote Wikipedia,
"Lucy's feast comes during Advent. Her feast originally coincided with the Winter Solstice, the shortest day of the year before calendar reforms, so her feastday has become a festival of light. This is particularly seen in the Scandinavian countries, with their long dark winters. There, a young girl dressed in a white dress and a red sash (as the symbol of martyrdom) carries palms and wears a crown or wreath of candles on her head. In Sweden, girls dressed as Lucy carry rolls and cookies in procession as songs are sung. It is said in Sweden that to vividly celebrate St. Lucy's Day will help one live the long winter days with enough light."
Sue has mentioned the origin of the dresses back in November 2011 on this thread:
http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/The-Legs-Era-begins-tp3478256p3497346.html
This is what she said: "The candle headdresses stem from an old tradition originating from a young Scicilian girl who was martyred...her name was Lucia. The crown of candles represent light and goodness, and in Sweden, at Christmas,young girls sometimes wear the "crowns of light" in celebration of her and the time of year. Ive actually been at a carol service where they have been worn.....they looked beautiful." "The Swedish Christmas candle headress ( or candelabras as you amusingly call them !) were battery powered. We had small battery packs sewn into the back of the dresses, but they didnt last too long, and had to be "charged" every so often with us still wearing the dresses ! Brought a new meaning to "getting a little hot under the collar !!" It all got a little warm after a while.....also had to take it easy with movements in case we got a loose connection !"
Thanks to Suefan for remembering about this and to PattiForPM for finding the source.
Please have a look at the drawing on the right which depicts St. Lucy!

Now, the routine. The set is a rather cold, winterly surrounding with simulated fog, leafless branches and trees. The sun has gone down and you can see the full moon in the sky (which may correspond with the lyrics "the moon may be high"). But it's not just the darkness that makes it very difficult to actually see the girls' faces. We're rarely graced with any close-ups and when we are, the branches always seem to get in the way. These are some of the reasons I seldom watch this one. I do like the song, but the scenery and camera work are disappointing in my view.

Choosing a Dancer of the Day is extremely difficult, often it's even hard to tell who is who, and all the girls seem to look and move completely alike. I have really struggled here to nominate a DotD and finally concluded to go for Ruth who I have neglected a bit on this thread.

5.5 / 10

DotD: Ruth
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU -- 1975

BeautifulBabs

wow thanks VV it makes far more sense now great research

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU -- 1975

Thanks for the explanation Vin, it does make more sense than before.  I do like the song and indeed bought it in days of yore and Garfunkel's voice is great.  Having said that the main inspiration from the song seems to be "they all disappear from view" to me.  This slow syrupy song was an opportunity tailor made for beautiful close ups IMO and we totally miss out there.  If this is Sweden I'm taking my next vacation in Hawaii.  The candles look goofy and, as you say Vin, it's virtually impossible to spot any of our ladies but I do see Cherry at least once so she gets my DotD.   My mark: 3/10.

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU -- 1975

bucksby
I like the song too and I agree the routine is too dark to really recognise the girls. I also spotted Cherry so she will get my DOTD purely on that basis. I am just thinking though if we had viewed this routine in the winter and not in the summer would it have gained a higher mark? Overall for me a 5 out of 10.

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU -- 1975

If memory serves VV, buried somewhere over on the other side is a little info from Sue about the Swedish inspiration to this one which might be worth hunting down and adding to your own excellent intro.  Like you this is one I seldom watch for although I think I can identify all the ladies all the way through we never get a clear view which is always a shame.  The foreground foliage is the chief problem here but the frosty feel and look don't help either.  Having to balance a chandelier on your head can't be easy so for that I'm loath to be over stingy with a mark and am going for a 5 but its an impossibility to choose a Dotd even if I only have eyes for Sue.

Edit:  As for the original IOHEFY routine from a few months earlier this was also a serene but more involved dance on a relatively small, multi level, stage and minus the illuminated head wear.  As well as fitting the song very well it was also a fine introduction for Lee and Mary.

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU -- 1975

Looks like the BBC staff have taken to borrowing the Blue Peter advent crown idea and ran with it, this looks like a bad promo for some dodgy Clannad song (Robin of Sherwood & soundtrack is excellent)

Don't really know what to say, maybe someone has been watching The Wicker Man or The Devil Rides Out the Saturday before.

Dark, dingy, not really the spirit of Xmas, involving paganesque imagery, the song is cracking, and a shame we won't see the original and I bet it's better than this

lifeless:- 0.5/10

DOTD: was gonna give to Noel, but decided I can just pick out the heavenly shape of Sue, thru the woods...so Sue is DOTD

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU -- 1975

Harking back to a time when you could do so much more, & get away with it, candles worn on heads?, if you tried that on television these days, health & safety would be on your trail, but it does beg the question, what if one of the candles became dislodged, & set fire to the hair of whoever was wearing that set of lighted candles?, it doesn't bear thinking about really.
This routine overall is pleasant enough, the back-drop of nighttime, gives t an air of mystery, with the ladies dancing around in a circle, it looks a bit like a witches coven performing some sort of pagan ritual under a full moon.

7/10

DotD:-

Sue

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU -- 1975

Thanks friends for all the comments so far. After I wrote the introduction to this one, I found out that there is even a connection between Saint Lucy and the subject of "IOHEFY"'s sister routine "Barbados" (which uses - almost - the same setting). Barbados is divided into sub-regions known as parishes and the parish in the northern-most area is called ... Saint Lucy! Now I wonder if Flick knew any of this, but if she did, the use of the "Saint Lucy" dresses was quite tongue in cheek and I'm sure she had a good laugh about it.
Thanks for hinting me to potential information directly from the source, Suefan, I can't remember reading any info from Sue about this routine before but I will try to find it (which isn't always easy as you probably experienced yourself).
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU -- 1975

Good memory SF.  Here's a quote from Sue from OFTDs Oct 2011 in the Legs Era Begins Thread Pg3 regarding this routine:

 The Swedish Christmas candle headress ( or candelabras as you amusingly call them !) were battery powered. We had small battery packs sewn into the back of the dresses, but they didnt last too long, and had to be "charged" every so often with us still wearing the dresses ! Brought a new meaning to "getting a little hot under the collar !!" It all got a little warm after a while.....also had to take it easy with movements in case we got a loose connection !
                                                                                  Best.......Sue Menhenick

Sue also goes on to describe the origins of this Dance further down the page.  Sorry I forgot how to link to quotes in my old age but if you search under "Battery Pack" or "Swedish" you'll find it here.

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU -- 1975

VintageVideos
Thanks PattiForPM, I have now included Sue's info in my introduction.
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU -- 1975

    No its not one id choose to view very often. No its not very exciting or sexy to watch either. But i applaud Flick Colby here for trying to come up with something different, it was quite bold of her and i reckon she must have known the 'Good Ole Boys' wouldn't be to keen on it.
    I have no idea what the first routine was like in September, im guessing it was very different from this version. In a way this is like the Christmas routine 12 months later on in 76 `Let Em In`, when again Flicks interpretation of a previously danced routine was & is roundly condemned by all and sundry. Unlike a lot of the correspondents on these pages, im not so down on either of those routines, maybe i can appreciate what she was trying to achieve. Naturally i don't think much of the score of 0.5 out of 10 from one of our correspondents and id never score FCs work so low, however much i disliked a routine.

   Cant say im a big fan of Art Garfunkel, but i do like the hypnotic qualities if this track and it deserved its number one status for a couple of weeks. Difficult to choose a DOTD, but will plump for `SUE`

   Rating. Ive seen far worse than this (and also lots better), but id like to award `7.75 out of 10`.

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU -- 1975

A very atmospheric and ethereal routine - but it fits the mood of the song perfectly.

DotD: I'm going to give this one to Lee as a) I've not voted for her yet and b) she keeps in time beautifully, as do all the ladies.

Score: 7.5

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU -- 1975

BeautifulBabs
Hi this is a tough one to mark and I don't think i have ever watched this one all the way through as I just switch off and the pans are doing something in the garden intro is a disgrace.

But seriously the st lucy's theme at xmas in cold scandinavian winters for a martyred saint just explains it all - a very well thought out routine to an otherwise hard to dance to slow not cheery song- just not really what I look for in a pans routine.

I can't give more than a 4 and cherry dotd but I do agree that this could have scored higher with better camera work on the gorgeous girls ............
such as if a bit like the image of this other st lucys day babe

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU -- 1975

Christmas 1975 provided three high quality routines for Pans People -  courtesy of David Bowie,The Stylistics and Typically Tropical. Here we have the other routine from the festive period that cannot live up to that standard.
The setting is dark and wintry and suits the sombre tone of the song, unfortunately it's too gloomy to identify with the dancers and all this becomes is a mood piece, that only takes off with the joining of hands at the end.
This is a routine  and song you'd think was from a few years earlier, so with that thought in mind I'll search out Ruth and give her my DOTD award. 5.75/10
WTH

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU -- 1975

There's a picture on the other site, obviously shot during the rehearsals, which perfectly displays what we are missing in this routine:

The girls do look quite lovely but we aren't allowed to see them.
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU -- 1975

PattiForPM
Yes thanks for showing us some of our missed opportunity Vin.  I just want to defend some low marks here as I think they do reflect our disappointment when our favorite Dancers have a bit of an off week in one way or another and it works both ways so that people like ADB and BB, for example, are super-enthusiastic about their most valued performances and mark extremely high on those occasions too.  If someone here consistently under-marked that would be different but no-one does that.  I do understand Ryan's point and it comes down to our own conscience I suppose in how low we will go but I have given 2s and 3s in the past (and I may not be finished yet!) but I don't think any of us mean to diminish the value of these Troupes, it's just an honest opinion as we see it.

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU -- 1975

Andeebee
Oops just re read mine, my finger miskeyed, clock watching, should be rated

2.5/10

Please amend Vin

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU -- 1975

Agree with you VV, some clearer shots like that would have helped boost this one.

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU -- 1975

Gorgeous Daze
Thanks for the informative notes Vin.

I applaud Flick's boldness in going for an atmospheric and spiritual routine instead of the expected festive fun and frolics. So it's a shame that it ended up so far from achieving its full potential, owing to flawed judgements that have been well covered already, so I won't go in to most of them. That rehearsal photo really brings it home how much better this could have been. On a song that cries out to focus on their eyes,  for once our literal choreographer lets us down. It's baffling. And I don't think the routine suits the song. It's romantic in a poetic sense, but not as it should be in terms of one person's devotion to another. We can sit back and enjoy the icy beauty of it but there's no personal warmth. It's as if we have chanced upon an esoteric ceremony to which we are not invited.

No-one is allowed to stand out and if I nominated a DOTD it would be just on the basis of who I could make out, and that's hardly a satisfactory criterion. So I will abstain this time.

Credit for the concept but the finished product leaves a lot to be desired.

4.5/10

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU -- 1975

Lookmacinanger
This post was updated on .
There must have been something about this pitch under the moonlight at Xmas 1975 that brought great artistic inspiration to FC and I salute this excellent routine also the mood of the track is captured in an unexpected way and makes it a fascinating interpretation. 9/10 Dotd Mary completing a fine double at Xmas ’75 like other notables from this year (Alan Taylor 2 – 0 Fulham) different venue of course.