I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU (XMAS VERSION) -- 25/12/1975

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU -- 1975

PattiForPM
Mac I'm just not quite seeing this, although those ghostly silver birches could just be goalposts I suppose and from bitter memory the England team has sometimes tried this 5-0-0 formation with somewhat similar results against quality opposition.  Surely in this icy weather this is more likely to be an outdoor ice rink which makes this more like the Stanley Cup than the FA Cup.   Now I've lost my train of thought....

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU -- 1975

Old Bill
Thanks VV for a wonderful explanation! This is why we'll miss you so!!

But I do wonder why Flick went for the St Lucy theme... just trying a different take on the Christmas look I suppose? There's no Scandy connections to the song is there? And it can't just be to provide TB & TB with a lame punfest surely?!?

I think they all look fantastic. Folky, wintery, festive, ethereal, hypnotic and suit the song wonderfully. And the same can be said for the dance itself. Gentle and elegant made to look effortless. Although it's a song that impossible to dance to - I'm sure Art never thought in a month of Sundays that anyone would be dancing to it, apart from perhaps a slow cheek-to-cheek smooch at the end of a drunken Christman party. But Flick does really well here I think.

Yes, it suffers from the lighting - not only do we not see our girls, but we don't see their lovely dresses either. Maybe the proper telly version may have been a bit better but I doubt it.

But overall I don't think it's as awful as people are making out. It's almost as if Flick has taken a sow's ear of a dancing song and managed to make a silk purse of a performance out it.

7/10. and DotD - Louise, just based on the rehersal pic.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU -- 1975

Gorgeous Daze
OB - Louise isn't there. That's your application form for new host in the bin.

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU -- 1975

BeautifulBabs
Old Bill I'm sure you went to type Lee but somehow nabble autofilled the rest....?

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU -- 1975

Paperboyplod
No, it's more likely he had 'predictive text' activated, on his key-pad.

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU -- 1975

Old Bill
haha oops. All my fault, can't blame the keypad or predictive text I have to confess.

So who's on the left here?

That one!
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU -- 1975

Thats Lee OB. Along with Mary she had a brief nine month stay in Pans People.

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU -- 1975

Lee OB and the girl needs your vote
her last name was from a hospital

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU -- 1975

PattiForPM
Good for you for fessing up OB and I agree with BB; Lee deserves the vote as she's the one you wanted and has two of Louise's letters anyway.  I'm going to try this predictive text excuse next time I say the wrong thing to the wife

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU -- 1975

Well i will stick a vote on for Lee then for Old Bill.

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU -- 1975

Old Bill
Yup - Lee will do for me. Her candles just seemed that bit brighter!
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU -- 1975

Note for P4PM I'm not sure that searching for Swedish and battery pack is a great idea. I dread to think what google would come up with. I'm picking Sue for dotd for taking the time to tell us some info about the dance a couple of years ago.

(Actually I tried the search and it was less dodgy than expected, my favorite on the first page was '10 ingenious uses for slimy algae')

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU -- 1975

Mikey
Whilst it may look a bit like some mystic ritual i actually like this leftfield interpretation. The wintry setting with its fog and moonlight creates a dreamlike scenario which i feel like i'm looking in curiuosly from afar wondering what they are up to. Its really the opposite of the lively Barbados routine, even if the set looks the same, the mood here is sombre in keeping with the song. With so few close ups its difficult to spot who's who, and the candle headware means that most of the routine is spent walking around as if in a trance, with the occasional group spins for good measure. For me these issues prevent it getting a high mark but its by no means a dud.

Odd but good 7/10 DOTD Mary

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU -- 1975

Old Grey Whistler
I like this song.
I like Art Garfunkel.
I like Pans People.
I like this routine.

Okay, I have to admit the first time I watched it, I was worried that someone might have slipped something into my coffee and I was having a hallucination, but having now viewed it a few times , I am starting to appreciate more Flick's inventiveness and originality. Sometimes I think we underestimate just how hard it must have been to keep coming up with original dance routines on a weekly basis for over 10 years. The obvious drawback is that we don't get a clear view of the dancers, but it is very atmospheric and a wee bit surreal which appeals to me.  She could have done this in any number of ways, but the style she has used has given it it's own unique identity.
I'm going to give it a 7.5 out of 10 with Lee as DOTD.

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU (VERSION 2) -- 1975

PansLegs
I remember the advent crowns that Blue Peter used to construct every December from a couple of old wire coat hangers, tinsel and candles but it seems the literal version with fake candles served up in this routine is a step too far. It is Christmas but it does seem an odd choice of apparel for a dance troupe even if the number itself is a slow, drawn out affair that drags. Art Garfunkel has a fine, high voice and it was never better than when paired with Paul Simon but I do find these solo efforts rather unpalatable.

This accompaniment by Pans sadly isn't that much of an improvement. Dry ice abounds and the blue white nature of it all means the visual appears quite bland and soft focus, even if it is intended to be a moonlit snow scene. The slow, generally walked steps seem more like some kind of midnight ritual on Halloween than something suitable for Christmas although it does match the soundtrack in pace. The result doesn't make much impact, therefore I'm inclined to go against the spirit of Christmas and give a lowly 3 for this routine. I'll say DotD Lee for nothing more than a slightly higher visibility than everyone else.

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU (VERSION 2) -- 1975

Doc
The one thing I remember about the 1st version of this was thinking thank god it was better than the Christmas version. The girls seem to be worried about the crowns falling off although with the speed of the dance it was probably unlikely that that would happen. Too much time spent on making the dance look Christmassy and this detracted from the routine 6/10.
Dotd: I've already chosen Sue.

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU (VERSION 2) -- 1975

BeautifulBabs
Yes I wish we could see version 1 again Doc for review properly on here

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU (VERSION 2) -- 1975

Dancer
I never liked this song when it was released.  It was only as I became an adult that I appreciated Simon & Garfunkel and of course Art's voice.  I have this on a seven inch single still and it never dates.  I had never seen the routine before until it cropped up on my own collection and I have to admit that I just don't like it.  I never understood the headgear until I just read VV's initial status.  I vaguely remember the first version and thought that was better.  This one seemed a rushed job to me and one that I would delete as it just did not do anything for me as a dancer.  Anyone could walk around a floor.  This to me has to be one of the worst routines of Pans People I have seen.  I will award this one three out of ten and it is just impossible to give a best dancer because no one did anything different.  They were just like clockwork toys.  Very poor.

Re: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU (VERSION 2) -- 1975

The Rubberband Man
Much maligned but artistic Christmas routine to a virtually undanceable song – it is a credit to Flick and Pans People that they were able to create a credible dance routine from this record.

Put in the context of Christmas Day, this routine captures the mid-wintery seasonal mood very well. The viewer is led into a misty forest where the tress have shed their leaves to watch an almost trance-like dance being performed by the witches of the wood. The mysterious St Lucy headgear and white robe dresses both add to the esoterical solemnity of the routine.

Performed or watched at any other time of year, the routine doesn’t work. As a Christmas Day special, it’s worth 7/10