Quantcast

I THINK OF YOU -- 31/08/1973

I Think Of You
Performed by The Detroit Emeralds and reaching number 27 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 31/08/1973 Duration of dance - 3.30 mins
Dancers: Babs, Cherry, Dee Dee, Louise, Ruth
A link to the dance:
http://www.oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=2526

The Detroit Emeralds were an American vocal group originally known as The Emeralds. They scored their first US hit in 1967 with "Show Time" (#89) but it took another four years until they cracked the US Top 40 with "You Want It, You Got It" (#36). Their biggest success in their home country was "Baby Let Me Take You (In My Arms)" in 1972 (#24). In the UK, it was a completely different story, because here the group is mainly known for their #4 hit "Feel The Need In Me" (1973) which surprisingly did not make the US Hot 100. A re-recording of this song, mixed by Tom Moulton and shortened to "Feel The Need", made #12 in 1977.

We're not sure if Pan's People ever danced to "Feel The Need In Me", but in May 1973 they did dance to the record that was released as the UK follow-up single, "You Want It, You Got It" (#12). Unfortunately the routine was wiped and seems to be lost forever (only an audio recording exists). Another three months later, "I Think Of You" was issued in Britain, a slow mover that went no higher than #27. On 31/08/1973, just when the single had entered the Top 30, Pan's People danced to "I Think Of You". The performance was wiped as well, but fortunately a home recording in black and white exists, courtesy of the PVL.

Now the song may have only been a minor hit but the routine is a real cracker! As I already stated a while ago in another thread, "I Think Of You" is one of my "Desert Island Dances". The routine is so good that I don't even mind the missing colour (of course I'd like to have a colour version!). I just love the storyline of the performance in which all of the girls play their parts. Highlights are no doubt Ruth's pouting and Dee Dee going on all by herself after everyone else has entered the main stage. Of course you could criticise this routine for the all-too-literal approach, but in my estimation the dance is rather enhanced by the literal interpretation.

It will come as no surprise that my rating for this performance is no less than full marks:

10 / 10

P.S.: On the now defunct PP.com site there once was a thread which indicated that even a colour version of this routine exists in a private collection. A business that restored old video recordings asked on the site if anyone knew the date and the names of the dancers for the routine from which these two screenshots were taken:

Unfortunately we never came to know who actually owns these recordings.

Re: I THINK OF YOU -- 31/08/1973

Doc
Mixed feelings about the probable colour version, firstly hope one day it might appear and secondly concern that there may only be one copy and the person who has it doesn't realise its significance resulting in it eventually getting binned. At least I know what colours they wore now.

Re: I THINK OF YOU -- 31/08/1973

This is an absolute corker and if it was in colour would probably be close to being my favourite pre-Sue Pans performance.  It surely has some of the best acting in Pans History and is like You're So Vain on steroids!  I love the expressions, close-ups and the comedy and it utterly captures that girlfriends discussing their love lives feeling to a tee.  The tight-fitting midsection costumes are great too and the mixture of sitting and standing parts works really well (except Cherry's little off-screen tumble of course).  I have no hesitation in giving this a maximum 10/10 and Ruth would have got my DotD if that was the kind of World we were living in.  If the person who has the colour performance is out there my pension is ready to be signed over to you

Re: I THINK OF YOU -- 31/08/1973

Mikey
I've never noticed Cherrys stumble before, dancers must hate stairs.

Re: I THINK OF YOU -- 31/08/1973

VintageVideos
Mikey wrote
I've never noticed Cherrys stumble before
Me neither! Unbelievable considering the countless times I watched this clip.

Re: I THINK OF YOU -- 31/08/1973

Doc
I had, it was a potential future spotted but p4pm got there first.

Re: I THINK OF YOU -- 31/08/1973

+1, yes i also knew of the Cherry trip, but i doubt id have recalled it from the memory banks in order to have mentioned it on here. I have to say though that the routine is right up there with the most watchable Pans. Lots of delicious close-ups married with a whole range of facial expressions.
The coloured pics are quite a nice bonus and i have always wondered what shade of colour the outfits were. Strange how the coloured pics make the outfits look darker to what the monochrome pics do. I had them down as light brown or maybe a shade of pink.
I bracket this routine in the same category as `You're So Vain`. Both worthy of a maximum, but the frustration of the missing colour version will go against that.
Rating `9 out of 10`.

Re: I THINK OF YOU -- 31/08/1973

PansLegs
Obviously Flick decided to let some of the dancers' comedic acting skills come out in this one. For me though, the fact it is deliberately over the top in this regard counts against it and no amount of close up shots and smiles (very nice though they are) seems to redeem things fully.  It is certainly different and the performance makes good use of the stage area, both the edge and platform, but I'm left feeling the result is good but not great. Possibly the song is a factor here also and is a bit of a light nothing. 7/10

Re: I THINK OF YOU -- 31/08/1973

Mikey
Whilst still a relative newcomer to the blog, this is still a definite highlight of 'new' material from this year. Flick delivers a series of little vignettes that serves to play out each section of the song in that oh so derided literal Pansian way, well sod the criticism that's why i love it and wouldn't want it any other way. Its difficult to pick a highlight as each section is played with charm and good humour, but i guess Dee Dee's over exuberance at about 1.30 (and then she returns to the stage to act all innocent) is a particulary good part, oh and then there's those cute little shoulder rolls at the end, and i'm not even going to mention a rare Ruth pout, oops.

Re: I THINK OF YOU -- 31/08/1973

Doc
Quite possibly the stand out routine from the black and whites. I like the routines that add a little acting and humour. If I had to guess I would have said those outfits were dark red like Ghetto Child not the green they actually are. As part of the routines was the splash of colour it's nice to see what it was like. The loss of the colour is possibly the only real downside of this one 9/10.

Re: I THINK OF YOU -- 31/08/1973

This is a corker as I find that the slightly over the top exaggerations work to a tee.  Flick's incorporation of the stage itself into the routines is also a winner and even without colour this is still a 10.  (Would a colour copy of this one oust Montego Bay from my pre-Sue number one spot?  No, but it would come close.)

Re: I THINK OF YOU -- 31/08/1973

Old Grey Whistler
Even though this is in black and white it doesn't spoil my enjoyment as the picture quality is quite good. Possibly better to have a good monochrome version than a fuzzy colour one.
I have to say that this is a bit of a masterpiece. The literal choreography works beautifully and even though Cherry makes a bit of a stumble, she recovers quite well and it doesn't spoil anything.
It's nice to see Pans People showing their comedic side, something perhaps that they could have done more often.
Happy to give this 10 out of 10.

Re: I THINK OF YOU -- 31/08/1973

Gorgeous Daze
Soul music, monochrome, highly literal. Ho hum. Sorry Vin. However there is at least a chatty narrative flow to this which makes it stand out from others of its ilk. Even if it's not a style I'm fond of the mannered actions do suit, what with the interchangeable soulsters elongating their lines to the very brink of self-parody. Dee Dee's always good for a lark, she'd be my DOTD. And there's a strong finish with hip rolling followed by the closing line of rolling shoulders and swinging legs...which reminds me I'd have lopped the bottom half of the trousers off.

7.75/10

Re: I THINK OF YOU -- 31/08/1973

Legsfan
Routines like this make me glad I found the OFTD's. Unseen for over forty years then we get to see crazily amazing routines! I really like this one and I think all dancers are 10/10. This is one I am going to watch again!
Rating: 10/10

Re: I THINK OF YOU -- 31/08/1973

PattiForPM
Your enthusiasm is refreshing LF

Re: I THINK OF YOU -- 31/08/1973

Everything'sRosie
Though I love Pans I'm unashamedly in the Legs camp, and here we almost have a Legs type routine three years early. What I mean by that is there is a definite twinkle in the eye when they do those literal moves, and we see heaps of personality seeping through. Again, as I've mentioned before, I'm no fan of early 70s fashion excesses as I often find the clothing detrimental to the dancing. These days such OTT threads are seen as ironic of course, but I can testify that certainly wasn't the case at the time. Nevertheless this is an excellent way to spend three minutes. The girls look truly gorgeous, and Cherry and Louise could almost be sisters. Good quality picture too and we're lucky to have those snaps to get an idea what it would have looked like in colour.
I think this merits a Nine. Good find.